Forums

Who believes $1000 is a fair price for an adapter?

Who believes $1000 is a fair price for an adapter?

$1000 really?
If I didn't know better I would say Tesla is trying to discourage us from using this company!

NRG eVGO is installing stations that can charge our cars 150 miles an hour, BUT.......

I stopped to see one yesterday at the Camarillo outlet malls. Their Freedom Stations can charge a Tesla 150 miles in an hour, 5 times faster than a level 2, but only 1/2 the speed of Tesla's super Charging stations. These stations could come in vary handy in an emergency, but I have been told that we can't use them at this point because our car didn't come with the correct adapter for this unit.

I have also been told that the adapter will cost $1000, which seems to be very userous. I have never heard of an adapter costing so much. I have purchased several over the years, and this one would seem to be gold plated.

I called NRG today and talked to a rep for about 30 minutes. They fit their charging stations for the majority of electric vehicles, which did not include Tesla.

He said that adapters are available over seas but are in the process of being tested here.

He indicated that Tesla will produce the adapter, and he agreed that they are way to expensive. He was going to ask his boss if they could include an adapter at each unit.

$1000.00 is ridicules!

If I didn't no better, I would assume that Tesla is charging so much to discourage us from going with this company.

Call 855-509-5581 to talk to a company rep and voice your concerns, or e-mail Tesla.

$1000 is just crazy!

Captain_Zap | 20 april 2014

The opinion that we will be able to exist only on Superchargers and home chargers is laden with geographic and cultural bias.

There are regions that would likely never see a Supercharger that are now getting Clipper Creek CS100 with a J1772. They are an inexpensive option that anyone can use. Seasonal tourist routes are being populated with them. Winery tourism areas are installing them. Rural interchanges that connect major routes need them. Some small towns see this as the greatest boon since the small town gas station went under after they were bypassed by the interstates.

There are regions and critical junctions that will never be able justify Superchargers. Yet, there are plenty of small businesses that are off the beaten path that could afford to support an attractive High Powered AC outlet for their guests. It is happening all over the west.

Tesla is putting in Superchargers on the most major routes and in areas where their customers are concentrated. We will need less expensive charging stations for other areas.

I cannot see us becoming dependent on CHAdeMO. It is too expensive for small cities and small businesses to install. Nissan is starting to restrict use to only their customers at their Dealerships in many areas. They have that right.

I hear that Leaf owners will be getting free charging. Will owners of other makes be making up the difference? Will owners of other makes be no longer welcome at all?

Past experiments with charging units like those at Cracker Barrel and others cannot, in good conscience, be used as a comparison to today's new long range reality. Future success for other businesses and communities cannot be judged by a concept that was premature and limited in its usefulness. The Cracker Barrel project was in Tennessee and used a charging company that went bankrupt due to several problems. There is not a large population of touring EVs in Tennessee.

Walgreens wanted an obscene amount of money for a unreasonably slow trickle charge that no one would bother to stop for. No one spends time at a Walgreens anyway.

The Whole Foods concept is nuts. People shop for groceries close to home. Why bother to take time and plug in while picking up groceries?

Launch some 100A J1772 stations and they will be sought out by all makes. We are seeing it in real life here. There is a CHAdeMO and a J1772 Blink charger on the beautiful waterfront near art galleries and fine restaurants here, but the cars are going up the hill to the Clipper Creek CS-100 and walking to downtown or just hanging out. The Clipper Creek charger left the old stations abandoned.

The game has completely changed in the past year. Past experiences are no indication of what the future potential is with an appropriate and inexpensive long range car charging station.

AoneOne | 20 april 2014

I'm pleased to see that a few of the Sheetz gas/convenience stations in PA have brought their promised CHAdeMO chargers online. For example: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45249

The one report of charging speed showed 2.9 kWh/5 minutes, or about 35 kW, somewhat more than 110 miles of Tesla range per hour of charging, for which they charge $20 (in $1 increments).

I don't know the the payments will pay for the charger cost, but a store like Sheetz makes most of its profit from the convenience store. Getting Volt, Leaf, and maybe some future Tesla drivers into the store is the real benefit to Sheetz.

SCCRENDO | 20 april 2014

@jamespowell. On Plugshare both look like decent options. If there for a few hours it's a good option. If living within walking distance could consider leaving your car overnight. One concern. The spots at the Grove seem to be frequently ICEd

NO2PTRL | 21 april 2014

AoneOne,

$20,00 for 110 miles of range seems very expensive. Almost the same as gas.

tes-s | 21 april 2014

They would have to crank up the CHAdeMO to make it worth it for me. I would expect it to be priced similar to gas (after all, people pay that much now) but that rate is too slow to be practical for distance travel.

A supercharger is over 3x as fast for a half charge, and over 2x as fast for a full charge.

Would work for small batteries - could get a full charge of a 35kWH battery in an hour. This seems fine while shopping or eating, but not for distance travel. Charge for an hour and then you could drive an hour and a half to the next charger? No thanks.

PV_Dave @US-PA | 21 april 2014

CHAdeMO might be 35kW at some locations, but is capable of 50kW. Most CHAdeMO stations seem to be dedicated, so they theoretically shouldn't see the "charging slower because both stalls are in use" situation. Not that I'm complaining, mind you... just saying that the delta between CHAdeMO and Supercharger isn't always as large as the numbers suggest.

If I want to take a road trip mostly on Superchargers but the last leg (or destination) only has CHAdeMO, the ability to recharge at 35kW to 50kW could make the whole trip viable where I'd otherwise need to ICE it. If I need to pay gas-like money for the last leg, and my alternative is to pay actual gas money for the entire trip, then that's a really easy choice!

I'll use Superchargers where available, but I'd gladly pay for the extra flexibility the CHAdeMO option provides!

Brian H | 21 april 2014

Destination and intra-city travel charging seems to be the CHAdeMO sweet spot for Tesla owners. Since the Nissan installations are so questionable for external use in the medium to long term, other public or private installs are of most interest. To Tesla drivers.

Pages