Forums

Window rolls down by itself overnight

Window rolls down by itself overnight

I’ve been having this problem since I took delivery several months ago and the techs have been working on it OTA but it still happens.

Anyone else have this issue?

hubertheller | 19 september 2018

Passenger window rolled down today after I parked the car. Noticed it when I returned. Luckily there was no rain and nothing was stolen.

AZTesla | 19 september 2018

Yep, I have to occasionally raise the rear passenger window just a smidge. If I can hear the wind blowing louder than normal, I know that the Tesla Window Gremlin has struck again.

weluvm3 | 19 september 2018

Yup, mine roll down by themselves, too. Especially the rear passenger side one. Not all the way down, but enough to be annoying.

That's one of the reasons that I used the think the wind noise was even worse than it is: now, I just automatically try rolling up the windows whenever I start the car in the morning.

I've reported the bug to Tesla several times. It's not bad enough to take it in for service, but it's kind of annoying all the same.

lbowroom | 19 september 2018

Just a coincidence that the window that occasionally is a little down is the switch that's closest to your forearm and elbow? Most likely to get bumped.

weluvm3 | 19 september 2018

@sromoda No, it is really going down by itself. The passenger rear window and the passenger front window a little bit. And, so far, it mostly seems to happen overnight.

Lori_klein | 23 september 2018

I put in a separate post about this - but it happened to us this evening. Parked car in public garage and took my phone and key with me on my bag. Car in park auto shut off as I walked away - doors locked, mirrors folded in...

When I returned from dinner, I noticed my driver side front window was open just over and inch’s d seemed askew. The my husband and friend said the passenger side window was all the way down.

I parked under cover I the garage - it was pouring rain. I hesitated to let a valet park it.

No idea what to do. It’s parkes in the garage and charging now - still pouring rain outside.

I live near the Rockville Tesla delivery center so I’ll try to stop by there this week to get looked at ASAP. Planning to take it on a trip 200 miles away next weekend and no guarantee I can park it indoors. Very concerned. May be taking my reliable little Prius instead.

nelscharli1970 | 23 september 2018

@phtp
It was just one window. Then the door. Problem solved with the computer replacement.

BretaNet00 | 29 september 2018

Same here. Less than one week old car. Passenger windows, front and rear, partially opened by themselves.
Expecting more fun and games. No worries, It's just A.I. starting to mess with us. :-)

bpaul | 6 oktober 2018

Had this issue with the front passenger window yesterday while at dinner. Yes, it was raining. Ugh.

mknewman | 18 oktober 2018

I had this happen yesterday. Both front windows completely open when I left work. 3 week old Model 3. Fortunately lovely weather and no damage.

SteveWin1 | 18 oktober 2018

This happened to me a week or so after I got my car. I took a co-worker for a drive and there was a lot more wind noise than normal. i realized that the front passenger window had rolled itself down slightly. Almost as if it didn't roll back up after being closed. After that, I also noticed that the same window didn't roll down as far as the front driver-side window. I took it in and they replaced something in the door that controls the window and now it works fine. No more windows rolling down. If this is happening to you, you may want to take it in to have it checked out -- at least sometime before your warranty is up.

gballant4570 | 18 oktober 2018

I've had one rear window open overnight, similar to the opening that occurs when the door is opened. It was almost as though the window did not return to closed upon closing the door. However, the drivers side rear door had not been used the day before, at least I could not recall - I always have doubt, ever since realizing that I used to have such a good memory.....

I've taken to pushing the window buttons all up after getting into the car. The spontaneous opening only happened once, which perhaps points more toward a memory defect than a window control defect.....

Deucebrady | 18 oktober 2018

had the same issue. passenger side windows (usually the rear) will sometimes roll down slightly (same level as if the door has been opened). It happened about 5 times the day I got the car, but hasn't happened (to my knowledge) in the week since.

base428 | 19 oktober 2018

FYI: Just bought our 2nd Model 3 last night and my wife said the passenger window rolled itself down sometime this morning. First thought was the voodoo issues I read on this thread. Tesla checked the logs and found the window went down around the same time the door was opening. My wife likely hit the passenger window down button accidentally when exiting the vehicle. Perhaps this will help someone who is having this issue. Any thoughts regarding a suitable punishment for my wife?

spuzzz123 | 19 oktober 2018

Wow I can't believe their logs capture that level of detail. What time each window was rolled down? Holy crap that means they probably capture every activity that is electrically initiated. So that means about the only thing they won't know about is when I use my sunvisor and when I adjust my rear view mirror.

Tesmat0 | 24 oktober 2018

This started happening sporadically as soon as I took delivery on 9/26/18. All windows affected at various times, from an inch or two to fully open. Phone call to SC gave me the impression they had never heard of this problem and suggested that I recalibrate the windows as described several times in this thread. I did, several times, and it still happens. An email via the Tesla website resulted in the suggestion that I contact a service center. Hmmm... looks like I'm about to enter an endless loop.

Does anyone know if Tesla has acknowledged that this is a problem and that they're working to fix it?

florateng | 31 oktober 2018

I had this happen to me twice and each time I think it is after I was charging the car in the garage. I would drive off and wondering what is it so noisy? That is when I realized the rear passenger window is completely down. So I'm going to keep a log starting today and see how often and when does it actually happen, hopefully that will give Tesla service team something to work on if this continues to happen. Still....weird.

njchillie | 31 oktober 2018

@spuzzz123 Oh, they will know that too. That’s what the interior camera is for. Be careful what you do inside your car. They are watching you from all angles.

rwcremer | 13 november 2018

Interesting... we just took possession of our M3 on Friday (11/9). On the first day I noticed the passenger side window was all the way down and the driver side window had rolled down 2in further than what it rolls down when opening the door. I thought maybe I had hit the window buttons... but on Monday (11/13), four of us (all Engineers) went to lunch, and upon exiting the vehicle the person in the front passenger seat reported the window rolled all the way down after exiting the vehicle. I then looked at my window and it was down 2in. below the normal window adjustment. So, it looks like this issue that's being reported by several others seems to happen when exiting the vehicle... or when the windows automatically adjust prior to opening... and I'm guessing after the door closes.

Ugh... not something I want to deal with. I've driven Honda cars for years, so I rarely have problems. I do love the car so far, and I'm hoping this isn't a growing trend. Something is out of tolerance and I'm sure there will be a fix at some point. Obviously this is not only a risk of damage to the car, but is also creates a risk of theft... and could also be a safety risk.

Does Tesla monitor these comments and suggest remedies?

Can Tesla comment whether an Engineering Difficulty Report (Trouble Report) has been generated?

Magic 8 Ball | 13 november 2018

@rwcremer There is no solid evidence that TESLA mines the forums for information, but it is possible. Your owners manual and account information give direction on how to contact TESLA with these concerns. There is also a contact link at the bottom of this page.

rwcremer | 14 november 2018

If you have a recurrence, please report it back here... so we can collect the data someplace. Also, please pay close attention to what you were doing when it happened. I strongly feel this problem happens when the windows automatically adjust for door operation... that's my thought. This would make sense as the window controller and actuator are being exercised... and may malfunction as a result.

I believe it may be happening as people exit or enter their vehicle... the window actuator is so quite, you may not notice it's moving up or down.

rxlawdude | 14 november 2018

According to Costa Mesa Service, they are replacing the window control units as part of a Technical Service Bulletin due to being susceptible to damage from water intrusion.

Flanmansd | 14 november 2018

Water intrusion, hmmm. Interesting point. Happened to me once, leaving work and passenger side window was down. Now need to remember if this happened after recent bath I gave the car. Live in SOCAL so no rain event since I've had the car. I will make note the next time I wash the car.

mclear | 14 november 2018

I had this issue and took it in to the service center. They replaced the hardware that controls the windows and I haven’t had a problem since. They had it a week and went back and forth with engineers several times before they replaced it. I’m in The Dallas area and used the service center in Plano.

Tesmat0 | 15 november 2018

In my case I've noticed that windows were open immediately after exiting the car. This has happened multiple times, always after exiting.

william | 15 november 2018

I had this problem randomly on both Model 3s, multiple (again, random) windows. I solved it by reprogramming the windows. To do this, roll the window down all the way and keep the button depressed for several more seconds. Then, roll the window all the way up and keep the button depressed for several more seconds. I haven't had the problem recur since I've reprogrammed them.

Tesmat0 | 15 november 2018

I've done the window recalibration procedure at least half a dozen times but the window problem persists.

a_mossadegh | 28 november 2018

Hi everyone,

It’s noteven a week that recieved my Model 3 and guess what, I just noticed the same issue tonight. My rear window was down almost 1/3. Since I’m the only person in that, they can’t simplyblame on some else. It sad, cause I just paid 67k for this car☹️☹️☹️

scbreeze | 29 november 2018

Ugh. Just got my M3P today, and noticed the front passenger window down after I parked the car... in the rain. So glad i did a "day 1" walk around, and discovered this, otherwise my car would have been a U-Boat by morning... will try the recalibration tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

n3pHr0n | 29 november 2018

Had it happen once a couple weeks ago and then again this AM (found it right after I was reading this thread), both times has been the front passenger window. Tried the re-calibration so we'll see.

Rbnaidu | 29 november 2018

had this happen to me twice on same day when it rained. Probably water got to the window sensor. As a workaround and to be safe I lock the windows using settings on the control panel when its raining. Would be difficult to get to root cause by doing this but would rather not see wet interiors.

dave999z | 29 november 2018

Got my car a week and a half ago. Had this hapoen today for the first time. Parked in a parking garage, came back 10 min later and front passenger window was all the way down. Uggh. My car is outside every night. This will be a huge problem if that happens on a rainy night. Time for a service appointment. What a drag.

i30m | 29 november 2018

Got my M3 a week ago, and today I drove in the rain (very rare in S. Cal) and ran some errands. I always kept my window closed. When I got home and parked in the garage, i noticed rear seats were wet. Only 2 reasons to cause this: 1) rear window was lowered while car was parked in the rain; 2) when the car in the park mode (or pressed the open door button), the window seems to roll down a little (let the car ventilate in heat?) but this feature is not desired during heavy rain. I'm not sure if there is way i can temporally disable this feature.

fumbleroosky | 30 november 2018

I've had my Model 3 for about 1 month now, and I've also come back to my car to find one of the windows randomly down. It's happened maybe 5 times so far, including today. And it actually rained in los Angeles today, so I got my passenger-side interior all wet. No bueno..

I see other folks' theories on a potential software/computer glitch.. maybe that's the case with me.

But I THINK it could just be me inadvertently depressing a window button while opening the driver-side door when exiting. The window buttons are sensitive, and given the location of the door-open button, it's pretty easy to rest your hand accidentally on a window button while pushing the door open. And with the automatic up/down functions, briefly touching a window button can result in it rolling all the way down.

btw, is there a way to disable the window's auto up/down function?

Kenyakid | 30 november 2018

I picked up my M3 on Nov. 1. A couple weeks later the rear passenger window went partway down while we were in a movie theater. A week or so later it went far down while I was in the gym. Also, my phone key disconnected repeatedly. Tesla service’s phone rep walked me through a car reset, which involved turning the car off, to reboot the computers affecting those two issues. So far, so good, though just a week’s passed. I drive it very little, under 500 miles including 200 miles from delivery center to home. Maybe I should know how to do the reset for future contingencies. Not sure if the reset on p. 97 of the Owner’s Manual to erase personal info is the same process.

ODWms | 30 november 2018

I had it happen shortly after I took delivery. Wasn’t sure if it was user error or not, but I haven’t had it happen since.

rdejong14 | 1 december 2018

I found my passenger side front window wide open after a long and heavy rain storm. There was a pool of water on the passenger seat. Damn! This is an unfortunate state of autonomy, I don’t want the windows to open themselves randomly how could this even be? Radiation from outer space? Spurious WiFi signals? WTF.

Magic 8 Ball | 1 december 2018

Operator error. The window switches are in a place where people are accidentally opening windows and not noticing.

And now, “Front passenger safety restraint system fault”, Contact Tesla Service.

No, happened to my wife too, and if the buttons are so sensitive that all these people on this forum have this problem then there’s a problem with the buttons. Poor design of the buttons. Maybe i slammed the driver door too hard and it set of the passenger window all the way down ?

Magic 8 Ball | 1 december 2018

For years people on the Furd Cmax forum complained the charge port cover popped open by itself. It took about four years before everyone admitted they forgot to close it. I guess poor design can be argued for not idiot proof (I accidentally did it once on exiting) but these forums are to share tribal knowledge like this so others will not get caught with windows down. Take home is, for now, check all your windows when leaving the car.

riccifrance | 1 december 2018

I think the future software update should have an automatic roll up windows when locking the car.

neil.weinstock | 1 december 2018

I have found my windows all or partially down but *always* have traced it back to user error. The relative placement of the handle and the window buttons on the driver's door are not good, especially when combined with the very soft touch of the buttons. It is *incredibly easy* to hit them accidentally.

Since the passenger side buttons are closer to the edge and easiest to hit accidentally, in my case it has always been those windows that are unexpectedly down.

Unfortunately there appears to be no way to lock the driver's door window buttons.

n3pHr0n | 1 december 2018

Sounds like it may be beneficial for an automatic roll-up if it could sense rain with the wiper sensor.

ODWms | 1 december 2018

In ICE vehicles by the time you get out of the car, you have already taken the key out of the ignition which turns off all power. If you’ve hit the button opening the door it doesn’t matter. In our cars all power is still going until after you’ve walked away, or at least have touched your key card to the b pillar AFTER you inadvertently hit a window button. I can see why it’s easy to do this.

M3BlueGeorgia | 1 december 2018

Might require a firmware upgrade, which has to be done at a SC.

Tesla did one when I had my tires rotated and that seemed to have fixed the occasional "window down" problem and also an occasional "lazy mirror" problem.
The "lazy mirror" problem is where a mirror doesn't return to the correct angle.

dave999z | 1 december 2018

@M8B - I’m not surprised in the least that you attribute it to operator error. Elon could run you over on the sidewalk and it would be your fault. But if you haven’t experienced this yourself - or even if you have - you have no basis to say it’s operator error. My windows were all up when I walked away. When I got back the front passenger window was down. I hope your car doesn’t do this on its own someday when parked in the rain. Tesla needs to solve this.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 december 2018

@dave999z It is possible there but I am going with operator error still. People swore up and down their Cmax Energi charge ports were opening on their own. Everyone finally came around to the fact is was operator forgetting to close them. The reported cases are random and the situations (how many windows, how far they roll down, etc. are all random). Nothing repeatable has been reported, so far.

M3BlueGeorgia | 2 december 2018

@Magic 8 Ball
Before the firmware update at the SC, we occasionally returned to the car to find the passenger window down.
After, the problem never repeated.

It also fixed the "lazy mirror" problem, which was more common.

So, while people can hit the window control accidentally, I think its a genuine but occasional issue and there are solutions from Tesla.

Note: A firmware update is different from the routine OTA updates we see every few weeks. Probably for security reasons, it apparently has to be done at the SC.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 december 2018

Still not convinced. I have read many reports of people saying they thought different things changed but no real consensus on anything. We have a handful of anecdotal accounts but nothing verified to be caused by a car malfunction.

Pages