Forums

Please allow the use of password managers in the account settings

Please allow the use of password managers in the account settings

I just discovered that the Username edit field in the Account Settings, which requires you to input your current password, disallows the user of the Paste command in the password field. This is an extremely poor "solution" for preventing people from re-using passwords, because it also destroys the ability for users to use password managers. I don't even know my Tesla account password: I generated a random 20-character alphanumeric string when I created the account, and I paste it from the manager into a password field. With paste disabled, the only way to change my username was manually typing a 20-character jumble of upper and lowercase letters and numbers. This was not fun.

Oddly, the main login screen at https://auth.tesla.com/login doesn't have this problem. It allows me to paste my password just fine.

TranzNDance | 11 november 2018

It looks like https://auth.tesla.com/login redirects to the page that disables pasting.

Yodrak. | 11 november 2018

"I just discovered that the Username edit field in the Account Settings, which requires you to input your current password, disallows the user of the Paste command in the password field. This is an extremely poor "solution" for preventing people from re-using passwords, because it also destroys the ability for users to use password managers."

I don't really understand what you're talking about with regard to using the Paste command, but I use a password manager and have no trouble signing in. The password manager 'automagically' enters my user name and password, all I have to do is click 'Enter' and I'm logged in.

NKYTA | 11 november 2018

1Password works.

Xerogas | 11 november 2018

@coredumperror: yeah, disabling paste drives me nuts. There is no security value to it.

But luckily, 1Password indeed works

EVRider | 12 november 2018

I use LastPass, and that works on both my laptop and iOS devices.

ulrichard | 12 november 2018

Please allow U2FA to make the account secure.

wisam.alrawi | 12 november 2018

I use Chrome password manager and Lastpass. Everytime I try to login, I think, Chrome does autofill for me. No problems here.

powdersnickers | 8 juni 2019

The problem is when you change your password the website does not allow paste for the new password and new password confirmation fields. Personally, I will be changing my password on a regular basis For security reasons. I haven’t tried it yet but found a workaround solution online via a Google search using FireFox.

jimglas | 16 juni 2019

troll flagged

wisam.alrawi | 16 juni 2019

Lastpass works on Firefox, Chrome for desktop and Lastpass works on my Android phone. No problems.

Tesla2018 | 23 juni 2019

Is there any way for the browser in the car to remember user names or passwords? I use google and yahoo and each time I go to their sites it asks me to enter them. Its a pain since my user name and passwords have a bunch of characters and symbols in them.