Forums

Tire flat from a nail - wheel loaner program

Tire flat from a nail - wheel loaner program

I ran over a nail this weekend and nobody would fix it because of the acoustic foam inside the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. (Costco actually tried but they didn't have the Model 3 in their system yet!) I called Tesla and they had a mobile tech come out and swapped out my entire tire with a replacement tire. (Not all areas have this and they don't always have loaners available.) Got a call today that they are able to fix the tire for $50 and have the mobile tech come back out to put it back on my car.

If the nail was 1/4" to the left it would have been too far near the edge to replace it. A new tire would cost $300 and approximately $350 to replace it. Even if I bought it at Tire Rack it would be $276. A little bit more money for the ability to use the mobile tech is definitely worth it.

I think I'm lucky that I live in San Diego about 20 minutes from the Service Center.

Great service from Tesla. Very impressed.

JustSaying | 17 september 2018

At around 7:00 , they state that all tire stores can fix a Tesla tire, cut out the foam by the hole, patch it and glue the foam back on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2h2RzkWY3c&t=7s

mpwitte | 17 september 2018

I got a nail in my tire on my very first road trip over Labor Day weekend. Called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they were great! Nearest service center was 150 miles away but they found a local towing company who came out with a flatbed and took our car to an America's Tire shop, who repaired it for free (they will do that for any car, not just Teslas, and also offer free tire rotations -- great service, I will be sure to go to them next time I need tires!). Throughout the whole process, Tesla kept calling me to make sure things were going smoothly. Couldn't have been more pleased with the entire process! According to Tesla, America's Tire and Discount Tire are the only shops that definitely know how to deal with the foam inside the tires. With my tire tire they cut out the foam around the nail to enable the patching but didn't glue it back on -- they said it would come loose and bounce around inside the wheel. Can't notice any additional road noise after the repair.

jamespompi | 17 september 2018

@JustSaying Has anyone confirmed that the Primacy's have foam in them for m3 18"? Mine are pretty loud, but I suspect not getting an all weather tire would help that when I need new ones

Look like they do.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/anyone-know-if-model-3-tires-hav...
BTW I am not going to use my Tesla fix a flat kit. It will probably make a mess in there!

jamespompi | 17 september 2018

yeah probably better to use plugs if youre capable.

Now, after absorbing the above, I will probably wait for Tesla Roadside.

lbavier | 17 september 2018

Nail in my tire drove to tire store fixed for $20 all weather tire cut out about 2" of foam hear no difference

daddy88 | 17 september 2018

Does the TireRack OEM tire have foam inside? Any other article tested road noise with different sets of tires / mpkw?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pri...

lbowroom | 17 september 2018

You said Costco tried but they didn't have the Model 3 in their system yet. So they didn't actually try to do anything other than "try" to look it up on their computer?

lbowroom | 17 september 2018

BTW, the "tire" is the black rubber part, the metal part that the tire mounts to is the "wheel". Not trying to be snarky, just educational.

ryng | 21 august 2019

Based on this thread i used Tesla assistance for flat in my office garage. But when AA arrived with a replacement tire I was advised to not clear my trunk space because the tire was headed to the Tesla Service center and they would have the tire repaired or replaced at their discretion. The concierge service was good but it has now been several hours of inconvenience to not have a spare and the thought of coordinating an additional appointment seemed painful. The AA rep said this change happened last week and your tire wilt be taken if you receive a loaner.