Forums

Volkswagen's Porsche drops diesel in electric car push

Volkswagen's Porsche drops diesel in electric car push

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Volkswagen’s (VOWG_p.DE) Porsche will stop offering diesel versions of its cars, the unit said on Sunday, sharpening its focus on hybrid and battery-powered vehicles instead.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-porsche-emissions/volkswag...

Ross1 | 24 september 2018

The article I read quotes that they do not offer diesel, he was just saying they never will.

Publicity stunt.

PrescottRichard | 24 september 2018

Forget what you hear,
Remember what you see,
Understand what you do.

In this case, reading something someone said is in the ‘hear’ category.

jordanrichard | 24 september 2018

They are not choosing to drop diesels to change it's focus to EVs, they are being forced to drop diesel. More and more cities/villages and even countries in Europe are banning diesels.

Ross1, I believe that Porsche sells a diesel version of the Cayanne in Europe.

TeslaTap.com | 24 september 2018

Once you've driven an EV (any EV) why would anyone consider a diesel?

- Expensive to buy and fuel
- Noisy
- Smelly
- Soot all over the back-end of the car
- Cleanest Diesel still massively pollutes
- New diesel requires piss (urethra) to work

Seems diesel is dying on its own lack of merits. Sooner the better.

Tropopause | 24 september 2018

A couple months ago, VW was saying diesel still has a future, just need to educate the public appropriately.

carlk | 25 september 2018

Please watch "Hard NoX" episode of Netflix documentary "Dirty Money". You will never believe what VW says or have anything to do with VW products anymore.

Please watch "Hard NoX" episode of Netflix documentary "Dirty Money". You will never believe what VW says or have anything to do with VW products anymore.

Sorry about the triple posting.

Sorry about the triple posting.

Wow..

Tropopause | 25 september 2018

3-2-1...

Well played, Carlk.

Mike83 | 25 september 2018

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/25/tesla-an-uncomfortable-wake-up-call...

This is quite informative by a German automotive engineer.

Tesla-David | 25 september 2018

Yes, well played @Carlk, I watched that episode on Netflix and agree with you.

Baywood | 25 september 2018

Mike83, an incredible article, best factual views, Thanks.
Worth for you t start a new thread just to highlight it.

jordanrichard | 25 september 2018

Yes, thanks Mike83 for the article. One particular part of the article that stood out to me was the part of the retail experience of customers and how companies recognize that it's important to have control of that for their products. Saying further that customer experience is not in the hands of the OEMs but rather the dealers. Essentially saying the dealers are an impediment.

jordanrichard | 25 september 2018

I will add that the OEMs in this instance the German OEMs need to stand up to the dealers. Let's take Daimler Benz for example. They can simply tell their dealers that they are non longer going to produce ICE vehicles. Now the dealers will say, "well we won't buy them". Basically this becomes a game of chicken and the dealers will lose because Daimler Benz has far more cash on hand than even the largest Mercedes dealer group. What is the dealer going to do, close up shop and try and sell another brand....? They can't, or rather it won't be easy because every brand sets up territories for their dealers. Meaning, they won't set up/allow another competing dealer set up within a given area. So that Mercedes dealer either starts selling what Daimler is producing or close up shop.

Yes initially Daimler will take a hit financially, but they can weather it out better than the dealers.

Audi dealers will not have e-tron on their lot. They will only act as order takers when a customer is ready to order one. How hard you think they will try to sell the EV instead of ICE already on the lot?

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180924/RETAIL/180929905/audi-e-tron-wo...

Rocky_H | 25 september 2018

I believe that word you were looking for was "urea", not "urethra".

Tesla-David | 25 september 2018

@Mike83, wow, your link above is an incredible read, and makes me proud to be a long time Tesla owner/supporter. The short sellers/Tesla haters will not like the information imparted. GO TESLA!

Mike83, thank you for posting that link, but I must disagree with Baywood’s suggestion to post as a stand-alone thread as I’m sure CNBC, FOX, & the gang will pick up this newsworthy piece and give it plenty of coverage! ;)

Carlk, that article said customers might wait months or year(s) for their E-tron order to arrive. Thank goodness the Audi dealership will be right there to help them.

jordanrichard | 26 september 2018

Carlk, thanks for the article about Audi. I actually never thought dealers essentially mimicking Tesla. Meaning, not having inventory on hand which costs the dealers money. That gives them profit that would otherwise be eroding away as new inventory sits on their lots.

Though I don't understand why there has to ab an arrangement with Amazon to have "chargers" put in, when a regular outlet will work just fine. Ohhh, that's right, make people think they have to have something "special" to charge their cars.......

Tropopause | 26 september 2018

Except the Audi dealerships might conveniently omit the E-Tron in their sales pitch to customers. And since the vehicles will not actually be sitting on the lots- out of sight, out of mind.

jordanrichard | 27 september 2018

True, but Tesla doesn't exactly have large inventories of new cars sitting on their lots either. I think an Audi dealer could have one on their lot for test drives and then people order one.

We have to at least give Audi credit for coming up with a new sales model. They seem to be the first OEM to do that for selling their forthcoming EVs.

jordanrichard | 27 september 2018

By "new" I mean for a traditional car company.

ravisundaramam | 27 september 2018

Volvo is trying to create a subsidiary, Polestar, to sell in their "spaces", away from stealerships.
If they pull it off and prevail over NADA, that could set the pattern, all EVs directly sold by manufacturers and the stealerships will sell only the ICEV.