Forums

Wider tires to prevent curb rash?

Wider tires to prevent curb rash?

I keep hearing people talk about getting curb rash on their Aero rims and now it has me paranoid. Has anyone looked into getting wider tires to help keep this from being such a problem? I would imagine it might increase rolling resistance a bit, which might affect range. Just curious how viable this is as a solution.

ST70 | 29 oktober 2018

how about learn how to drive....

Bighorn | 29 oktober 2018

Doesn't really help--you need tires designed to protect the rim.

lbowroom | 29 oktober 2018

Could try a 255/40 with a lip guard.

Magic 8 Ball | 29 oktober 2018

Just happened to me this weekend. $200 cost of new rim, $50 to swap tire & sensor onto it using TESLA service. Some people like and claim success with these and there might be similar products:

https://www.rimbladesusa.com/product/rimblades/?gclid=CjwKCAjw39reBRBJEi...

Or you could go old school with these:

https://www.ebay.com/p/United-Pacific-Curb-Feelers-Item-70203/2401699757...

lbowroom | 29 oktober 2018

Only $200 for a new wheel from Tesla? Not bad. A little surprised you managed to curb one though.

gballant4570 | 29 oktober 2018

I have just been staying off the curbs. I think I rubbed one a little in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, but not a sign of it on the wheel. Since then I have been paying attention....

Magic 8 Ball | 29 oktober 2018

I had my line and the curb was in the line. Gonna have to sue the city for putting that curb in my way. : ) Took the curb too tight at a bit of speed. Actually surprised that there was not more damage.

cbmilehigh | 29 oktober 2018

I brushed the curb while parking, the first week I had the car. Now I park a foot away from the curb. No need to get new rims, just use some touch up paint. But true, fatter tire will rub the curb before hitting the rim

bradbomb | 29 oktober 2018

@ST70 Learning how to drive won’t prevent curb rash, especially when parallel parking. Some other people park like assholes and leave very little room and if its the only spot available, you have to try and squeeze in, which might result in curb rash

SDr2d2 | 29 oktober 2018

I would have thought with a dozen sensors and 8 cameras are there would be a more visability to exactly where ur tires and car are to realative to a curb.

SDr2d2 | 29 oktober 2018

I would have thought with a dozen sensors and 8 cameras are there would be a more visability to exactly where ur tires and car are to realative to a curb.

maztec | 29 oktober 2018

Curb rash is not caused by the tires. It is caused by the line choice in the backup camera.

There are a few different systems for backup camera displays:
1) No lines, just camera.
2) Straight, don't bend lines.
3) Predictive lines, showing where you will end up when you turn.
4) Double-lines, one set "on the tire" one side "outside the frame" of the car.
5) Miscellaneous madness.

Tesla uses style 3. Honestly, I find style 4 the most useful.

For style 3, I interpret the center of the white line to match the outside edge of the tire. On the Model 3 that is not the case, at least for my car the white line matches the CENTER of the tire. That is obnoxious, because it means the outside edge of my tire is actually outside the line itself, which increases the odds I will curb my rims.

I might grab a couple 2x4's sometime soon and lay them out with the tire to see where exactly the lines are in relation to the line. However, I have definitely smacked the curb while the line showed me as nowhere near it.

-- Does anyone know if the guidance lines are adjustable for the backup camera?

Then again, it would be nice if my side mirrors would remember where I saved them for backing up . . .

ST70 | 29 oktober 2018

@bradbomb- are you the real Rainman? You have the biggest backup camera in the auto industry and you can enable the rear view mirrors to adjust down to see the curb clearly. I can park confidently within 2 inches of a curb.

bradbomb | 29 oktober 2018

What’s funny is I drove my Mustang convertible for 6 years and did not have any sort of curb rash once with NO rear camera whatsoever and with my Model 3, its definitely cumbersome. This is my first car with a rear view camera, but I have been driving for 20 years with no camera and it honestly feels weird using the camera to back up, not to mention I have almost been sideswiped by drivers when I’m parallel parking on busy streets like Ventura Blvd and they have no care to wait or give you room to back into a spot. As for adjusting the mirrors, I turned off the auto tilt because again up until this car, none of my cars had that and I feel like I’m not seeing things otherwise.

Look, its not like I’ve had crazy curb rash where I’ve rammed my tire into the curb and possibly even puncture my tire, I just got some slight cosmetic damage to the edge of the rear passenger rim, that’s it.

maztec | 30 oktober 2018

@bradbomb: I know where you're at with that. @ST70 is a parking superhero, unlike the majority of us.

The backup camera makes you feel like you have plenty of room, but then scrapes the line.

jithesh | 30 oktober 2018

the backup camera helps with rear tires but I have curb rash on front tires where I have no visibility.

I think the issue is that the rim is projecting out of the tire which I don't see in many other cars. Maybe it was done to support the aero covers better but i could be wrong.

Magic 8 Ball | 30 oktober 2018

Backup camera does not help when you try to take a corner too tight, so I heard : )

gballant4570 | 30 oktober 2018

Once you just keep it in mind, it ceases to be a problem. I took a corner a little tight the second day I had the 3, and rode up on the curb. Lucky for me, the protruding curb on that corner had a wheelchair dip in it that my rear wheel rode up, and then simply dropped off the curb. I heard the sound, but didn't pay a price.

It just takes a bit of getting used to the vehicle you are driving. I think my rim rash risk has dropped to near zero at this point.

mknewman | 30 oktober 2018

I for one do not like the auto adjusting outside mirrors and have turned that feature off.

SalisburySam | 30 oktober 2018

@maztec, thanks for the very helpful description of various backup camera views...much appreciated! And I agree, #4 would be my preference.

For me, I think there’s another factor at work here. I sit pretty low in an already low vehicle and that’s a view I’m not yet used to. I don’t remember having a vehicle with that low a view since I had my early ‘70’s Corvettes, obviously without a rear camera. I was hitting curbs until I adjusted, and that took longer than I hoped. The Vettes had tires that hit, not the rims or covers, so no real damage. But that’s just me.

guinnesman | 30 oktober 2018

SalisburySam, you know those seats are adjustable, right? Maybe move it up a few skoshes? :)

I'm 6'3" and still moved the seat up a fair amount. I like to be able to see the front of the car. Also your rear seat passengers will thank you for providing enough room for them to put their feet under the seat!

lemketron | 2 februar 2019

@lbowroom suggested 255/40 with a lip guard. The OEM 18" tires are 235/45 MXM4 A/S, but I'm seriously considering getting 245/45 Michelin PS4S summer tires in hopes that size will provide at least a little bit of rim protection -- I'd say "extra", but the 235s provide NONE at all as they are narrower than the Aero rims. I suppose it really depends on how hard you hit the curb and at what speed/angle probably more so than tire width. I'm generally very careful but sometimes stuff happens. The PS4S does come in a 255/40, but I think I'd prefer the ride of the 245/45s.

lemketron | 3 februar 2019

Interestingly enough, Michelin claims that the PS4S has a "deep rim protector" but I guess how effective that actually ends up being likely depends on how wide of a rim you mount them on... https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

ODWms | 3 februar 2019

I remember getting some Yokohamas over 2 decades ago on a BMW that had that rim protection incorporated, so the technology obviously isn’t new. I remember thinking what a great idea it was, but I’ve never been one to curb wheels anyway. I just try my best to stay away from curbs. I let a friend drive my car with me in the passenger seat, and I had forgotten to mention it to her before she drove. When I remembered she had already turned right, past several curbs and nothing happened. It was on my mind the whole time though. Lol!

billtphotoman | 3 februar 2019

Back to OP's question: wider tires would certainly help but I suspect there would be a big hit to energy use especially at highway speeds and there might be a noise increase as well.

gmr6415 | 3 februar 2019

Back in the end of December I sustained about a 10" curb rash on my front left wheel while I was backing away from a curb at the edge of a tight parking space. I tired two different paint colors I had read would match. The first was the Tesla Midnight Silver Metallic (PMNG). It was clearly way too dark after putting two coats on a paint test paper.

I then purchased the Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match from my local auto parts store. The kit comes with both paint and clear coat.

It was a perfect match, and it cost around $15. Below are before and after images. The damage is between the arrows. I didn't think to take a photo before I had sanded the damage with 80 grit, then 150 grit, then 400 grit sandpaper.

Before - After sanding: https://ibb.co/zfRbdw3

After 3 coats of color and two coats of clear: https://ibb.co/vxVnzqn

I did purchase some spot putty to fill the scrapes after sanding and a first coat of paint, but I didn't think it would be worth the additional time after looking at it once the first coat dried.

nineteenelevenfan | 3 februar 2019

Anyone know what the Dupli-Color code/match is for the arctic silver rims?

Need it in spray as the touch up versions sold online (3rd party Tesla sites) are in small bottle/brush from and only good for touching up a rock chip, not covering an area like sanded down rim rash.

ODWms | 3 februar 2019

GMR, that is an excellent job!! It’s a good thing you placed those arrows in the shot. Otherwise I would have had no idea anything even happened. Kudos!

gmr6415 | 3 februar 2019

@ODWms, After applying the first coat I realized I wasn't going to be able to find it, so I used tire chalk and marked just beyond the damage on both ends. You can see the chalk mark behind the lower arrow in the "after" picture.

@nineteenelevenfan, I used a brush on mine and it worked great. I didn't want to have to do a bunch of taping to keep from spraying the tires.