Forums

Tapping the brake from autopilot

Tapping the brake from autopilot

Here's a small issue: when tapping the brake to disable cruise control on a regular car, the car starts coasting. When tapping the brake on a Tesla with regen on, the car starts braking. And we all know regen can be pretty aggressive braking.

This results in some jerky driving, but more importantly, when you're in close traffic you don't want such a quick change in speed, including your brake lights coming on, even if it's just for a second.

Imagine driving in close traffic at 70 mph and all of a sudden the driver in front of you pumps the brakes. Can be dangerous.

It's resulted in me having to tap the brake and very quickly moving to the accelerator, which makes for a very jerky experience.

Magic 8 Ball | 7 november 2018

Close traffic at 70.

Popcorn

HighlandPony | 7 november 2018

Simple solution, don’t use the brake pedal to disengage TACC. Use the stalk and have your foot over the accelerator to control the regen level.

hokiegir1 | 7 november 2018

@nobody123 -- as @HighlandPony said, I put my foot on the accelerator and then use the stalk to disengage TACC/AP, which allows me to maintain speed (if that's my goal) or at least control the deceleration a bit more.

@M8B -- yes, there are places in this country where traffic can be heavy (and therefore, close) but moving at 70. I don't think is a surprise to anyone except you.

@hokiegirl Maybe we have a different idea of what "close" means.

If I see brake lights in front of me at 70 I already have plenty of distance between me and them to come to a nice calm stop. If they are hard on the brakes and I have to panic stop then I was not paying attention and following too close.

lbowroom | 7 november 2018

Yet someone still rear ended me on the 405. The lesson in this post for the op is that you can cancel cruise by flicking the stalk up

ReD eXiLe ms us | 7 november 2018

nobody123: This problem can be avoided using the novel concept of... driving the car. As suggested by HighlandPony. Also, tailgating is ALWAYS a bad idea. If there are multiple lanes, those who are offended by your operating a vehicle safely always have the option to either be patient, or simply go around. If they offer a middle finger salute while doing so, you may return a nod or a smile. Living is winning.

sheldon.mike1010 | 7 november 2018

#Magic
Spreading bitterness and general dislike here.WTF is up with stuff like:
Close traffic at 70.
Popcorn (his question was not out lof line in nay way)
You must have 6 ex-wives...

Happy married to my starter wife for almost 40 years. Interestingly enough our appreciation of each other has grown unlike so many other couples we know.

The problem is with the OP's driving not the car.

One more thing on marriage. We push back on each other often but never fight. We never even have a day of silent treatment (an hour or two maybe) or stank eye. What we never do is stop listening to each other.

Brian B | 7 november 2018

why not just let TACC do the braking? If it's just a tap, then TACC will handle it. If it's a hard press, regen doesn't kick in anyway since manual braking is occurring. and you have to speed back to to 70

I'm not sure I see how the scenario would occur.

CharleyBC | 7 november 2018

Yeah, if TACC is at 70, and traffic ahead slows below that, I just let TACC manage things for me.

And as everyone else said, if there's a reason I'm going to knock it out of TACC, I position my foot on the accelerator, and disengage with the stalk. That gives me all the control I want, though I confess it took a few tries before I was consistently smooth with this. Now it's second nature.

dsvick | 7 november 2018

@Magic 8 Ball - "The problem is with the OP's driving not the car."

Or, at least, whoever it is that's driving behind the OP.

casun | 7 november 2018

HighlandPony‘s suggestion is exactly what i do.

@dsvick If you are reacting to tailgaters, to cause you to drive like the OP, you are the problem.

Blamers will blame everything except themselves.

RedPillSucks | 7 november 2018

@Magic 8 Ball, sorry to disagree, but tailgating is wrong/dangerous at almost any speed.
There's a reason police and insurance companies will almost always put the fault on the person who rear-ended someone. OP was asking a simple question, to which HighlandPony gave a reasoned answer to.
Snarkiness helps no one.

@RedPillSucks Dunno where you got the idea that I think tailgating is Okay because I agree it is wrong and dangerous. The OP was describing a situation that would be avoided if the OP followed at a safer distance.

nobody123 | 7 november 2018

Wow some people don't understand the purpose of software. It's supposed to do stuff for you so you don't have to do it yourself.