Forums

How much of the model 3 is "Made in the USA"?

How much of the model 3 is "Made in the USA"?

Hi. I'm curious about the Model 3 vs an "American" car like Ford or Chevy. I know the model 3 is build in Fremont (California) but what about the other (major and minor) components....like the motor, chassis, LCD screen,etc. How would it compare to the other brands? 50% US and 50% outside US? any thoughts or info?

GHammer | 18 november 2018

50% US/Canada
25% Mexico
25% Other

ReD eXiLe ms us | 18 november 2018

The Moblnroney Sticker and a label inside the Driver's door may both list the percentages. This query has been made here several times. The Model 3 is more 'American' than any other passenger within the top twenty sold in the U.S.

GHammer | 18 november 2018

The figures I quoted were from the Monroney sticker.

syclone | 19 november 2018

I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that a lot of systems in the car, including the turn signal/shifting system on the steering column are sourced from Mercedes. I drove my daughter's 2010 Mercedes E550 a couple of weeks ago and immediately noticed that the transmission shift lever
operated exactly like the M3. Also found where the reference was - 2015 in the model S forum.

elecfan2 | 19 november 2018

According to cars.com, the only plug in vehicle to make the cut of their list of American made vehicles was the Chevy Volt for 2018. Perhaps they forgot about Tesla or their criteria specifically excludes them?

https://www.cars.com/articles/carscom-2018-american-made-index-whats-the...

finman100 | 19 november 2018

So, yes, I read my Monroney sticker and read the "other" percentage...what/why is it "other"? do they not know? too hard to track down and put a number on it? It seems 100% should be accounted for, no?

I mean, is there 25% that I'm missing, haha. Will they add that later?

jordanrichard | 19 november 2018

The battery pack as everyone knows is made in NV, the motor(s) are made in NV, the car's metal components are made in Freemont, the car is physically built in Freemont.

Compare that with the Chevy Bolt. All of it's electronics, be it the screens, battery and motor are made by LG in Korea, The only thing "American" about the Bolt is the body. Interestingly, the DeTomaso Pantera in the 70's was considered an Italian car because it was assembled in Italy, but with a Ford V8. The Bolt is considered an American car even though what makes it a functioning car is Korean.

Magic 8 Ball | 19 november 2018

@finman100 My assumption would be that other is a total of small percentages that are not required to be itemized.

Nexxus | 29 november 2018

@finman100, The reason they say "other" is that 25% comes from all over the world and they don't have room to spell it out on the Monroney Sticker.

Iwantmy3 | 29 november 2018

They include Canada, U.S, and Mexico specifically in order to show that the cars meet the requirement for NAFTA/USMCA. The required NA content was 62.5% under NAFTA. It is 75% under USMCA. The remaining 25% doesn't matter and is therefore just shown as "other".

LikeEVs | 29 november 2018

The Bolt is also mostly designed in Korea, while the Tesla's are all designed in California.

Paul Braren | 25 juni 2019

This article came out today:
Cars.com’s 2019 American-Made Index: What’s the Most American Car?
https://www.cars.com/articles/cars-coms-2019-american-made-index-whats-t...

@elecfan mentioned earlier in this thread "Perhaps they forgot about Tesla or their criteria specifically excludes them?" in reference to last year's similar report at https://www.cars.com/articles/carscom-2018-american-made-index-whats-the...

Neither have any mention of Tesla, in contrast to this 2018 article, with different criteria:
https://www.american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/2018-autoindex.cfm

Perhaps a little more insight here:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/2018-list-of-most-american-cars-te...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 26 juni 2019

From Cars.com's own About Us page...

"In a rapidly changing market, Cars.com enables automotive dealers and manufacturers with innovative technical solutions and data-driven intelligence to better reach and influence ready-to-buy shoppers, increase inventory turn and gain market share. In 2018, Cars.com acquired Dealer Inspire®, an innovative technology company building solutions that future-proof dealerships with more efficient operations, a faster and easier car buying process, and connected digital experiences that sell and service more vehicles."

Cars.com is now a Dealership. They also connect new car buyers to Dealerships (AKA 'retailers'). Cars.com does not sell new Tesla cars. Thus, Cars.com has no motivation to include Tesla cars among their listing of 'Most American' domestically built cars. Surprise?

If using 'independent franchised dealerships' and paying for traditional advertising via print, radio, and television is certain to improve Tesla's market share... Why is Tesla currently outselling Volvo, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, and Porsche YTD in the U.S. (along with at least eight other brands), companies that all use 'independent franchised dealerships' and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising? Maybe using the 'franchised dealership system' and paying for advertising is not as effective, or efficient as presumed by convential thinking? Hmmm...

sdsatish | 14 februar 2020

Just happened to land here while looking for something. Those percentages - are they by $value or # of components or something else? What determines the %age? I think dollar value would make most sense.