Forums

low profile floor jacks that work

low profile floor jacks that work

I'm looking for specific recommendations for floor jacks that work with the Reverse Logic M3 pad. RL says jack saddle must be at least 2.75" to accommodate the adapter pad. I estimate the jack must handle clearances as low as about 3.2" with the pad in place. Looking for a cheap option of course. Amazon or Harbor Freight sources are best.

hammer @OR-US | 23 november 2018
doug | 23 november 2018

I bought this one from Harbor Freight. Works great with the jack pad. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-heavy-duty-low-profile-floor-j...

Pen18 | 23 november 2018

Good info on those links and just in time. I have been shopping for floor jacks also for past week and was not able to find any good ones and all of them had much smaller size jack saddles.

Pen18 | 23 november 2018

Any suggestions on Torque Wrench?

coleAK | 23 november 2018

I use hockey pucks on a frame lift.

ODWms | 24 november 2018

I bought the 3 ton Pittsburgh jack from Harbor Freight. I’ve had it for about 2 years and it works great on all my cars.

PECo CT | 24 november 2018

I agree with doug about the Harbor Freight low-profile 3-ton floor jack.

I swapped out the summer wheels and tires for winter wheels and tires on my wife’s M3, yesterday. The Harbor Freight floor jack worked fine. The Tire Rack TPMS sensors also worked fine. The car prompted me to select the wheel diameter (e.g., 18, 19 or 20-inch) after I drove the car only 1/10th of a mile.

Incidentally, the OEM tires on the 19-inch wheels suck in the snow. My wife barely made it home during the recent snowstorm that hit Connecticut during the evening rush hour. My old 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with all-season tires near the end of their useful tread life drove better than any other vehicle I saw on the road.

Oh, and the cheapo Harbor Freight 1/2-inch drive torque wrench works fine, too.

I also like this jack pad, because it stays in place while you position your jack:

APDTY 150001 Jack Lift Point Pad... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GHGM9BP?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

wiboater4 | 24 november 2018

Ok so what do you do if you don't have a fifth tire to put on while your taking off the second tire? I don't want to have to buy a second jack. I suppose I could fabricate something to span the two pucks and center the jack.

jefjes | 24 november 2018

@wiboater4- This was initially my concern but since then I have seen videos that show the rigidity of the car will actually lift both wheels off the ground when jacking from 1 jack point. Then if you want, you can place a jack stand with another pad under the second point while removing both wheels on one side. I bought a second jack of the scissor type to keep in the car for those just in case events so I do have 2 jacks but have yet to jack my car since I'm still under the 6250-mile rotation milage.

wiboater4 - You definitely should use jack stands and jack pads at the lift points as needed.

wiboater4 | 24 november 2018

@jefjes Thanks , That's good to know.

Solarman004 | 24 november 2018

Another vote for the Harbor Freight 3-ton floor jack. I've been using mine for 2 years on my MX, and it should work fine on the M3.

@wiboater4, you are correct, there is no location to place a jack stand. What I did was jacked up my car to a desired working height, then cut a piece of 2x4 to place vertically under the jack's pad section, and standing on the floor. I tested by lowering the jack and it held just fine. This is just an emergency backup in case of jack hydraulic failure.

RSavage_92024 | 24 november 2018

Not a fan of Harbor Freight for ANYTHING.....especially something like a floor jack. I picked up two of these from Arcan on Amazon It's the same identical jack sold under other names like Jegs, NOS, and others...only the color is changed. Very high quality and reasonably low weight. One on each side of the Model 3 lifts the entire car easily to allow cross-rotation of tires when necessary.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047D2FWM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpag...

Jhonsbro | 22 august 2019

I picked the Arcan ALJ3T 3 ton floor jack from Amazon and it works pretty well, i just found it form here https://floorjacktips.com/best-3-ton-floor-jack/