Forums

Will Tesla take over the GM plant in Ohio?

Problem may be UAW but then again an automated factory requires a different type of employee.
Perhaps they could make the Semi or Pickup there.
Elon said they will consider it.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/23/ohio-governor-asks-elon-musk-to-sav...

Mike83 | 29 december 2018

I go back to my point. I would rather work for stock options than pay a Union who may in fact be more compromising to the owners to keep his influences and susceptible to bribes.
People usually are not stupid but the union today seems to think people need a daddy.
Elon is pretty cool and very generous from what I've seen. With people like him you don't need a union.

Yodrak. | 29 december 2018

Problem may be UAW but then again an automated factory requires a different type of employee.

GM's assembly plants are highly automated, as are virtually all other auto company's plants. Tesla has gone a step beyond, but has also discovered with the Model 3 that there can be such a thing as too much automation.

In any case, my point is that Tesla can use the same assembly line workers as GM, Ford, etc., they just need to be trained to operate the specific equipment and tasks to which they're assigned.

blue adept | 29 december 2018

@TabascoGuy

Throwing money at GM, in whatever amount (even if only 'pennies or dimes on the dollar'), would benefit them and enable their continued operation.

@TabascoGuy

IDK, but it seems to me that trained automotive manufacturing employees should be able to find employment with a different automaker or elsewhere easily enough, so I wouldn't worry myself with feeling too bad for them.

@carlk

Any EV makes the F150 "irrelevant" simply by the mere fact of it being an EV v. ICE...

Just saying.

carlk | 29 december 2018

@blue adept

That's true. If you think electric drivetrain and performance car are match made in heaven you ain't see nothing yet until you see the Tesla electric pickup. I have to add the qualifier Tesla though. No EV was considered performance before Tesla and few were so even after Tesla made EV that way.

@carlk

Fair point!

Pages