Forums

Loud bang under driver while Super Charging

Loud bang under driver while Super Charging

I've had my P3D+ for a 4 months and put 3000 miles on it. I'm pretty familiar with the sounds it makes like the inverter cluck under the back seats.

I experienced something totally different last week. I was on a road trip. After about 75 miles of driving (second leg) at freeway speeds (in southern California; outside temp was about 55) we needed to stop at the super charger. One spot open at supercharger, so was getting about 60 kw. After about 5 minutes of charging, we heard a loud noise under the my feet (driver foot-well). It sounded like something between an explosion and hitting the bottom of the car with a sludge hammer. It was loud enough that Me and the two other passengers jumped out of the car to see if something exploded. Everything looked fine, so we got back in... Charging continued. about 5 minutes later, there was another similar sound (but more like a metal cookie sheet popping in the oven), it was not nearly as loud and also sounded like it was from somewhere near the front of the car. Continued charging another 15 minutes with no additional odd sounds.

Since this is my first/only time super charging, is this something other people have experienced? It was quite startling and if this is normal, i'll need to warn passengers at the super charger.

I have a server appointment next week for something unrelated, so thought i'd mention this and get it noted on my car's history.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 januar 2019

Common issue, and is "normal" (currently). Many threads about the loud bang.

hammer @OR-US | 2 januar 2019

Your description of the cookie sheet popping is exactly what this noise is. There is a piece of sheet metal that flexes under the temperature change caused by supercharging. Apparently Tesla is aware of it and is looking into it.

ybbor | 2 januar 2019

@hammer @OR-US Interesting, thanks! It was quite startling when not expecting it... I'll consider it normal for now :-) I'll just warn my passengers that we won't explode.

I wonder what Tesla could do; short of replacing the battery, seems like this will be with us for the life of the car.

Magic 8 Ball | 2 januar 2019

Reports are saying that early cars do not have it and the issue has something to do with insulation and thin sheet covering the battery (not a structural piece). People have kiddingly (I think) talked about spray in foam and it would not surprise me if that ends up being a potential cure.

rxlawdude | 2 januar 2019

Our early 3 does not have this. VIN 00138x

Skhamapirad | 15 april 2019

Took delivery of a Model 3 standard range partial premium Friday. Tried charging twice a 2 different superchargers in west Tennessee. One did cause the car to make “clunk” sound 2-3 time 10+ minutes apart (underneath and behind me). Startled me. The other was noiseless. Battery was likely warm from a long drive with the second and not with the first. That may or may not have been the difference. Ambient temp was 65 F.

MoonDog | 15 april 2019

My Model SR+ arrived end of March and I experience the cookie sheet pop too. A couple of times it did seem temperature related, but most of the times was actually driving up my driveway. It is quite steep at the beginning and if I drive in without being fully lined up it pops. That is, if I start driving up with only one wheel first. I suppose for the Model 3 it is as if 'twisting' the metal sheet.... Now I line carefully being starting the ascent and I haven't heard the sound for a while. Don't really mind the noise, it is just the concern about long term issue with the stress at the joints :(

Magic 8 Ball | 15 april 2019

@MoonDog I would not worry about long term issue. Cookie sheets last forever.