Forums

Tesla incompatible with charge point?

Tesla incompatible with charge point?

I have noticed a couple times at different charge point chargers that the charger will die, black out if it is a dual charger and another car is charging at the same time. I suspect the tesla causes an overload. It has happened with both my X and my 3. Anyone else had this problem?

EVRider | 2 februar 2019

Very unlikely that would happen. Your car can't try to draw more power from the charger than it can provide. More likely an issue with the chargers you're using.

TeslaTap.com | 2 februar 2019

Tesla is fully compatible with Chargepoint. Also a Tesla (or any EV) cannot overload the connection. That said, some non-Tesla connections are not well maintained and may not work at all. I'd contact Chargepoint if you have a problem with one of their connections.

Really minor point, but these are not chargers. The charger is inside the car. They are connections to utility power. Common error we see all the time.

Yodrak. | 2 februar 2019

I and a dozen other Tesla-owning co-workers charge every day at ChargePoint EVSEs, along with numerous Leaf, Volt, Ford Fusion, and Chrysler Pacifica owners. No problems except when the EVSEs fail and need to be repaired.

When two EVs are plugged in at a ChargePoint dual-port EVSE each EV will get 1/2 the power, until one EV is fully charged and then the other EV will get full power.

reed_lewis | 3 februar 2019

Here where I charge using Chargepoint connectors, everyone gets the appropriate amount of power no matter the number of cars plugged in.

For example where I work we have two chargepoint units that are two ports each. When I plug in alone, I get 4.5 kW no matter if someone else is plugged in to the other port or not.

So that is not correct @Yodrak. The standard design is everyone gets the same amount of power.

Plus I do not think that the Amperage can be re negotiated after the charging starts. The amperage is negotiated by the J-1772 connector before the power is sent to the car.

Yodrak. | 3 februar 2019

"Here where I charge using Chargepoint connectors, everyone gets the appropriate amount of power no matter the number of cars plugged in.

For example where I work we have two chargepoint units that are two ports each. When I plug in alone, I get 4.5 kW no matter if someone else is plugged in to the other port or not.

So that is not correct @Yodrak."

ChargePoint makes 2 make two types of dual-port EVSEs The ones where I work share 50-50 when two cars are plugged in to the one unit.

haddonezia | 4 februar 2019

Two different charging stations in very different locations both blacked out withing minutes of my connecting and there was another vehicle charging each time. I have used Chargepoints before without problems so I guess these could have been isolated incidents. One thing both of the blacked out chargers had in common was that they were newer stations so maybe they had not been programmed properly? Thanks for the comments, was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

teslu3 | 4 februar 2019

My workplace has 12 Chargepoint stations. I mainly use one in summer when it is less expensive than charging at home. (for me, SoCal Edison's Time of Use plan is much more expensive than the residential rate).
Only 4 of the stations are activated; they are often all occupied. I've had no problem charging except for access to them. The other 8 spots are not enabled and yet the security staff gives you a parking ticket if you park in an unusable spot. Chargepoint contracts to a local company who contracts to my work place, and the claim is that it is too expensive to enable the other Chargepoint stations. At least it appears that EVs and PHEVs are supported.

Yodrak. | 4 februar 2019

"Chargepoint contracts to a local company who contracts to my work place, and the claim is that it is too expensive to enable the other Chargepoint stations."

Strange that some entity paid to install the units then decided to not activate them. But you indicate that people are charged to use the activated units? Why not activate them and charge a sufficient fee to cover the cost? Strange situation.

Malmgreene | 4 april 2019

We've "killed" two chargepoint stations at work this week. Not certain but it seemed that the stations died shortly after a second M3 plugged in. Also noticed that with an M3 and a Leaf on the same station, that the charging was intermittently stopping.

rxlawdude | 4 april 2019

I think someone didn't install those stations properly. Remember that Teslas have one of the highest amperage chargers on board (in the J-1772 world like Chargepoint).

But "killed" the stations rather than tripping a breaker? Seems rather unlikely.

Yodrak. | 4 april 2019

I have several different brands of Level 2 chargers at my workplace, I always use the Chargepoints because I can always check the Chargepoint app to see my usage. The other ones I have to check the EVSE display immediately after unplugging and hope that the display is functioning.

When first installed about 4 years ago the Chargepoints were prone to failure, but since replacing them about 2 years ago with newer versions they've been highly reliable.

Malmgreene | 7 maj 2019

rxlawdude: Yes, when two Teslas are on one Chargepoint, the breaker is tripping. "Killed" was a bit of an exaggeration.

Our property manager worked with Chargepoint to update the firmware but we continue to trip the breaker when two Teslas are charging on the same machine. We've had this experience on multiple machines in our parking garage.

I've also received intermittent notices of charging stopping and restarting when another vehicle make is on the same machine. So, it could be an install/setup issue.

reed_lewis | 7 maj 2019

The two Chargepoint towers (with two ports each) work very well at my office in Downtown Boston. I only get about 4.7 kW of power on them, but we regularly have four cars of different types charging concurrently.

Also, the power does not change whether you have one or two cars plugged in.

reed_lewis | 7 maj 2019

@ Malmgreene It sounds like the settings for the charger are not correct. The EVSE wall unit (which the Chargepoint is), advertises how much power it can offer. If it is set to a value that is too high then the car will pull that amount of power because it has been told that it can.

When the device is installed, it needs to be correctly configured to how much power can be delivered.

samjoseph084 | 7 maj 2019

hey thanks for your replies guys. i was also lookign for the same.
best regards!!