Forums

Location-based auto folding mirrors

Location-based auto folding mirrors

I finally got updates to both our Model S (2019.5.16) and Model 3 (2019.5.15) the other day, and the one feature I've been looking forward to the most is location-based auto folding mirrors. This feature lets you configure the mirrors to automatically fold when you approach a particular location and unfold when you leave, or you can configure the mirrors to fold when you open your garage with HomeLink and unfold when you close your garage. I've tried it out, and it has some issues.

We have narrow garage openings, so I always fold my mirrors before entering the garage and unfold them after backing out. I have the regular mirror auto-fold feature turned off, because otherwise my mirrors would unfold before I backed out of the garage. Folding and unfolding the mirrors in the Model S is easy, because there's a dedicated button for this on the armrest, but it's a bit of a pain in the Model 3, because you have to use the touchscreen (Quick Controls).

After I received the update (and rebooted as I usually do after updates), I configured the mirrors to automatically fold when I open the garage and unfold when I close it. You do this by editing the HomeLink settings (from the HomeLink drop-down menu), select the location (e.g., Home), and enable the auto fold mirrors checkbox (I don't recall the exact wording). I have my HomeLink set up to automatically open my garage when I approach, but I don't use the auto close feature.

The feature works great when I approach my garage -- HomeLink opens the garage and the mirrors fold -- but not so much when I leave the garage...

When I tried it in my Model S (just once), after I backed out of my garage I used HomeLink to close the door, while I was still on the driveway, but the mirrors didn't unfold. I waited a little bit and finally unfolded them using the button on the armrest. A couple of seconds later (still in the driveway) the mirrors folded again, so it seems it was a delayed response.

When I tried it in the Model 3 (a couple of times), the mirrors didn't unfold when I closed the garage, but I waited to see what would happen. I started driving up the street, and the mirrors finally opened (I was maybe 100 feet away from my house). I was only going about 10mph, so it wasn't my speed that made them open (that's suppose to happen at 31mph).

If you've tried to use this new feature, how is it working for you?

TeslaTap.com | 13 marts 2019

Can't answer the mirror question, but are you sure it's v 2019.15.16? I just got/installed 2019.8.1 hours ago. The 2nd number is the weeks, and a week of "15" would be a release to QA on April 8th, which shouldn't appear for about 4-5 weeks later as it completes QA. We shouldn't see "15" until mid-May.

teslu3 | 13 marts 2019

With Homelink set to auto-fold the mirrors, they reliably fold when about 30-40 feet from the garage door, and unfold about 90-100 feet away when leaving. This worked from v 2019.5.4 for Model 3.

davidcjones | 22 april 2019

I will have to check this. I would like the auto-unfold to work, but I have the same issue that I back out and it doesn't auto unfold. I have version 2019.8.5. I have a 400 foot driveway, so I am plenty far away! When I pull out on the street, it doesn't unfold until I hit about 30 mph. I hope an upcoming update fixes this—perhaps the 2019.15.15 the OP references.

tew ms us | 22 april 2019

Model 3 with 2019.8.5 I noticed this today; don't know how long it's been doing it:

I was backing out of a parking space and looking for cross traffic behind me when i glanced at the mirrors - both were angled down about 45 degrees. I pulled back into the space to adjust them, but they rotated back up to the position I had set in my driver profile. When I resumed reversing out, the mirrors angled down again, but rotated back up when I shifted into drive.

SCCRENDO | 22 april 2019

They rotate automatically to a different position when reversing. It has always been this way.

PrescottRichard | 22 april 2019

tew ms us- that’s a feature you can disable if you want.

EVRider | 22 april 2019

FYI, there’s another thread about this in the Model S forum: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/gps-controlled-side-view-mirror-setup

It seems to be working the same way for everyone, meaning the mirrors don’t unfold right away when you close your garage (or leave the location if you did it that way).

jkrauss | 27 april 2019

I have a 2016 Tesla S AP1. It has 9.0 (2018.50.6. 4eco3ed) will I ever get an update allowing me to have auto-folding mirrors based ion location?

EVRider | 28 april 2019

I corrected the version typos in the OP (2019.5.x, not 2019.15.x).

@jkrauss: You’ll get the update at some point. Having access to WiFi where you park will help.

jkrauss | 28 april 2019

Thanks. Guess I will just wait....