Forums

Sixteen new Tesla chargers inactive for over six months

Sixteen new Tesla chargers inactive for over six months

The Lazy Dog restaurant in Newark, CA installed sixteen Tesla chargers over six months ago and they have not yet been activated. The restaurant management is blaming Tesla for not completing the installation and the city of Newark for not giving approval for the chargers.

Tesla says the chargers are owned and maintained by the restaurant. The city of Newark says that they have no request yet from the Lazy Dog restaurant for approval of the Tesla chargers. In fact, the city says that they are ready to come and give the approval as soon as the restaurant makes the request.

I'm inclined to believe Tesla and the city of Newark. It seems to me as though Lazy Dog doesn't want to turn the chargers on anymore. The restaurant always seems to full and perhaps they don't have have any incentive to provide the Tesla chargers to attract the Tesla crowd anymore.

Who really owns and operates the Tesla destination chargers? Does anyone know what's really going on?

Lonestar10_1999 | 14 juni 2019

Tesla gives away the equipment but the business owner has the responsibility for installation and maintenance.

I believe in this case, the Lazy Dog dropped the ball.

lilbean | 14 juni 2019

I guess the restaurant is living up to its name.

kevin_rf | 15 juni 2019

Maybe someone calculated what 16 hpwc can do to an electric bill. Especially with California rates.

Lonestar10_1999 | 15 juni 2019

@kevin- the business owner does not need to let customers charge up for free. The cost of electricity can be recouped by charging the customers a usage fee. Placing the 16 chargers in service is a win win situation.

MichaelB00012 | 15 juni 2019

Call their bluff - offer to call Newark for them to see if you can get it straightened out and see what they say.

Rutrow 3 | 15 juni 2019

Tesla has various levels of incentives that they provide to businesses installing their HPWC, so if they provided the chargers for free or at a significantly reduced price, there may be something they can do to force them to turn them on, or make them send them back. Tesla doesn't want their gift to go unused.

nwfan | 16 juni 2019

Six months without use of the 16 urban chargers in Ft Worth. In service about 1 month when failure occurred. Equipment repaired/replaced and still waiting on In service announcement.