Forums

OBD-II

OBD-II

peterlipson | 28 juli 2019

Does 2016 model X have a OBD-II PORT

Enzodriver | 29 juli 2019

No, OBD-11 ports are found on ICE / Fossil fuel vehicles only.

TeslaTap.com | 29 juli 2019

Actually the Model S and X both have an ODB-II port. The Model 3 does not. It's not very useful, as almost no data is available from diagnostic tools. This makes sense, as ODB is really to monitor the engine and emission controls that don't exist on an EV.

You can use the ODB port as a source of always on power for a dashcam, but there are easier places to tap in most S/X vehicles.

TeslaTap.com | 29 juli 2019

I'll also add most products that connect into the ODB port, such as dongles to monitor speed for insurance, will not work.

Vawlkus | 30 juli 2019

If memory serves, the port is tucked away under the armrest between the two front seats. There’s a port/door that can be opened for access near floor level.

TeslaTap.com | 30 juli 2019

@Vawlkus - On the S (original and refresh), the OBD port is located under the dash, drivers side (LHD) towards the outside of the car. Since the X uses the same dash, I've assumed it's the same, but haven't actually looked.

Never heard or seen port door in the center pedestal. What car/variant have you seen this?

ratchet | 30 juli 2019

Just checked my X and found the OBD port in the same location @TeslaTap described for the S. I have not tried connecting my code scanner to the port because it reads "Check Engine" light faults that are primarily related to the emission control system.

Vawlkus | 31 juli 2019

It was something I saw on TMC forums. I’d have to try to dig it back up. I remember it because I was working on routing usb power around to the top of the cabin for a GoPro dashcam setup.

TeslaTap.com | 31 juli 2019

@Vawlkus - Perhaps you were thinking of the aux power connection, which is in the passenger side of the center console in newer cars (under the outside cover). Not sure the date when they added the aux power connection. I do remember it's not super easy to get too and there are easier places to tap into.

Vawlkus | 1 august 2019

No, the picture/video pointed out the USB routing where it could be tapped into, but also showed the OBD port because the thread was about where to install one of those insurance company sensors for lower rates.

TeslaTap.com | 1 august 2019

@Vawlkus - Do you have a link to the image/video? I suspect they misidentified the Tesla diagnostics connector as OBD. The diagnostics connector resides behind the cubby over the center console.

Vawlkus | 2 august 2019

Unhappily I haven’t found it yet. I can’t even remember where it was linked to from (TMC I think?).