Forums

Nearest service station is 2.5 hours away

Nearest service station is 2.5 hours away

Hi all, It's been 10 days since I put my deposit down on an "X" and I think I have 2 more weeks to go before delivery. I don't have a real date yet. I don't live in a big city and my nearest service station is a good 2 1/2 hour drive away. I'm good with driving there to pick up the car but I would hate to have to go all the way back to Richmond if I need service. Who determines if a mobile unit would come to me? and should I just not be worried about this because the cars are just that good? Thx

bp | 30 juli 2019

You should call Tesla and discuss this enough for you to be comfortable with your purchase.

Tesla eliminated the annual recommended maintenance - overall a Tesla should require less maintenance than an ICE, and around 80% of the service can be done by a mobile service vehicle.

But, will Tesla have a mobile service vehicle available to provide service when you need it?

And, if you do need service at the Service Center, will they provide you a loaner vehicle, or just an Uber voucher, which wouldn't cover your temporary transportation costs.

Also recommend you post on the Tesla Motors Club forum (if you haven't already) and get feedback from any current owners who live far from a Service Center.

SO | 30 juli 2019

I live in Michigan. Service centers not allowed in the state. The closest one to me is about 3 hours away. Fortunately mobile service is available.

In the almost 3 years and 37k miles of ownership on my S90D, I have yet to need to take it to a service center. Mobile service has been great. They came out and gave me a new driver’s seat because mine had a fabric crease upon delivery and a 12v battery replacement 8 months into ownership. The new battery has worked well. And no, it didn’t leave me stranded. It just was a warning message because I think there were a bad batch of 12v batteries from Teslas supplier.

I did need an alignment and mobile won’t do that. Fortunately I found a local shop that’s Tesla certified and will do the alignment for about the same price as Tesla.

I am getting new tires today from a local Belle tire. They have worked on Teslas too.

So far so good. I only plan on bringing my car to a Tesla service center one time before my warranty expires to go through and check out everything.

andy.connor.e | 30 juli 2019

Same, closest service is just a little over 2 hours away. Hope there will be a service building in the NY capital district soon.