From time to time, I get asked about the Model 3 and my thoughts on whether I recommend it.
Obviously I do. But I wanted to give a brief compelling summary of the key reasons why this car is so great.
Below is my summary. I am interested in your suggestions on what to include or how to articulate it succinctly
We have owned our Model 3 for almost 1 year now. I had high hopes for this car. So far, it has exceeded them. Here is why this car is by far the best I’ve ever driven:
• No gas. Ever. There are so many reasons why that is great, even if you don’t care about the planet.
• Faster acceleration than a Porsche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz5mV0Y1804
• Safest car ever tested by NHTSA, among many other safety accolades: https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/08/tesla-model-3-safest-car-ever-teste...
• Cost of ownership lower than a Honda Civic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR_ub5eL9n0
• Better handling than a BMW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpFe8k1vjcg
• Our car started out incredible. But with all of the over-the-air software pushes, our car has gotten even better over time. It is actually *faster* than when we first bought it a year ago, it has *longer* range, it has *shorter* stopping distance, it now leverages the cameras for enhanced security, among MANY other features that we got for free from software updates over the last year.
• The minimalist interior, the full glass roof, and absence of any engine noise makes the cockpit wonderfully zen and relaxing.
• Autopilot is actually pretty great, particularly on long drives. Plus we get ring-side seats to the coming revolution of full self-driving. If I believe Elon, our car will eventually be able to drive itself within my ownership of it. Even if I don’t fully believe Elon, we still will get close. For example, I have this capability today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkSw2SZQENU
• The Tesla Model 3 has a top-notch sound system. I love music and this car is definitely the best listening experience I own.
• The majority of Tesla’s service tickets are solved by over-the-air software pushes. Nobody else in the industry is even close to touching this benefit: https://www.thedrive.com/tech/26679/why-havent-over-the-air-updates-take...
• With the incredibly quick smooth acceleration, excellent handling, and tight accurate steering, the Model 3 is a blast to drive. But it is so much fun in other ways thanks to the useful yet playful software: onboard video games, fart mode (place a virtual whoopie cushion on any seat), romance mode (heat on max, Barry White on the stereo, crackling fireplace on the screen), more cowbell mode, dog mode, Mars mode, Santa mode, sentry mode, Mad Max mode…..and on and on….
The car is not without some foibles. And yes, the upfront cost can be a little more than your average sedan. But this thing is WAY worth it.