Forums

Tesla mobile app doesnt show the solar panel usage

Tesla mobile app doesnt show the solar panel usage

This one is really time consuming experience.
Had solar signed in Feb. Installation done in June. Activated in Aug.
All working fine, but can not have Tesla mobile app display the solar panel usage.
Tried everything, delete app, reinstall, relogin etc.
Have spent about 3-4 hours on phone call so far.
A tech rep came after 2 weeks and said everything is fine, he could see usage in the tesla side and just left.
Still nothing shows up in mobile app for solar usage. Always see the car and the solan advertisement.
Have spoken to agents multiple times and answer been "we have to update some spreadsheet, check back in 48 hours"
Really waste of time for many.

smaches | 22 august 2019

A little confused on your term "solar panel usage." But it sounds like you only have panels and no powerwalls? If so and there was no consumption sensor or similar unit (PowerBlaster) installed in your breaker box, then you will not see any consumption in the TESLA app. All you will see is production.

gregbrew | 22 august 2019

Yup. For the three years late 2015-2018 I had solar only (no Powerwalls), all I could see was production because local building codes don't allow PowerBlaster installation.

Since I got two Powerwalls last January, I can now see production *and consumption* via the Powerwall TEG and its CTs.

kgkiran | 26 august 2019

Yes, I meant only the production. It feels like Inverter and Gateway take a break from communicating quite often.

gregbrew | 31 august 2019

I found that on the solar side, the little CAT5-wired gateway box needed to be in a line-of-sight with the inverter in order to get reliable Zigbee radio communication between the two. Try moving the gateway as close as possible to the inverter. If that's not possible using your existing house wired Ethernet infrastructure, you might consider a power-line Ethernet extender into the area that houses the inverter, and put the gateway there.

Fgrange | 3 september 2019

The solar city app worked great as does the Tesla app. When the solar city app was discontinued the solar generation numbers did not show up on the Tesla app as advertised. All their conversion instructions were followed and the usual reboot, uninstall, reinstall, change passwords on both didn’t work.

Did anyone out there get their solar city solar generation numbers to show up on their existing Tesla app and how did you do it? Epic Tesla Fail!!

dinucatona | 3 september 2019

@Fgrange, good luck. The whole conversions is mess. Missing data, mismatching data, people not able to see anything, you name it. Emails t support take 3 weeks to get a response.

I got mine up and running but i have mismatches between months, days, missing data etc.

Fgrange | 6 september 2019

The app is working! Contact customercare@Tesla.com, report your error, leave your phone number, and they’ll call you back in about a month! Really! In my case, the error had something to do with signing up for the solar city and Tesla apps with my email address which I changed over the next several years. The problem had to do with one or both apps storing my old email address even though I updated my new one on both apps. Nothing you can do, they have to set your new email address internally on their end. Tesla.com from the browser only shows my car, not solar, but so what, the app is finally working, but you will like the old solar city app better. Lots of patience! The data is good.

cherislaa | 9 september 2019

Unf)@&($& believable. Why change over from Solar City to Tesla if the system doesn't work. You just want to take out foq39587q98w money and not give any service. I have emailed and now called to get this resolved.

drclay | 13 september 2019

Is there any chance of lost data features on the old MySolarCity app ever making it into the Tesla app? I used to be able to see solar installs in my region along with estimated savings. It was a useful tool to help Tesla sell to my friends and neighbors. Any chance of getting a more robust app for home installations?

jan85310 | 17 september 2019

I can not see my daily usage solar panel display in Tesla site, I could see my year to year, month to month and daily usage in my old solar city app. I can't see anything in usage with my Tesla.

moz1058 | 22 september 2019

Same here. Impact and Energy usage doesn't show any solar production history. On occasion I will see some solar production when I open the app but it doesnt save any history of solar production. Will try to move the gateway box closer as I have already powered off the system twice and emailed Tesla twice. I think I will call them tomorrow if moving the box doesnt work.

rasmith | 8 oktober 2019

I just got my system turned (Tesla Tech and Power Company Inspector/meter installer) on Yesterday 10/7/2019 (started process around 7/18/2019) and at least it is working via looking at the meter only ... Thank you all. You have saved my time and aggravation :) by lowering my expectation on seeing current Solar Power production, consumption, etc. on the useless Tesla App if you only have the solar (no PowerBlaster and no powerwall) panels. I will try to get this so call gate way (from hell if I let it consume my time and aggravation) closer to the Inverter. The customer service was no help yesterday. I just got my email (10/8/2019 10:45 AM MNT) that I can turn on :) lets see if I get this app closer to working for me to see production at least.

rasmith | 8 oktober 2019

Quick update: as of 10/08/2019 around 12:40 PM MT ... my app is showing current Production (3.9 kW), Home Usage ( 0.6 kW) and Grid Storage (3.3 kW ). Steps that contributed to a happy ending where: 1) Got Gateway as close as possible ( within around 7 Ft. distance at a first floor corner bedroom) to Inverter with antenna 2) CALLED Tesla Customer Solar Service (she was very helpful and nice attitude) and she walked me thru the steps to restart both the Gateway and the Solar System Inverter with antenna ... 2-a) Rebooted (Turn Off - unplug from outlet ... waited 5 sec. and then Turn On - reconnected plug) the Gateway ... 2-b) Rebooted ( Turn Inverter's circular switch to the OFF POSITION ... Then moved to the OFF POSITION the Cut Off Lever that is on the right of CUT OFF BOX which is at the right of Inverter ... waited 5 sec. ... Then moved to the ON POSITION the Cut Off Lever ... Finally TURN Inverter's circular switch to the ON POSITION ) Solar System Inverter with antenna ... waited maybe less than 20 min. and with any good luck your app should be getting information. NOTE: You need to wait for the email telling you that your system can be turn on and thus, Tesla would have setup your account correctly with your Solar System Setup (i.e. power wall, solar panels, etc.) ... I only had panels (no PowerBlaster and no power wall). NO NEED FOR PASSWORD wifi setup that is if your gateway can be close enough to the Inverter with antenna. GOOD LUCK !!!

moz1058 | 13 oktober 2019

Update: after many phone calls they finally discovered that my Inverter serial number was entered wrong in their system. It took 2 days and it finally started showing solar production. Not from the date of install but whatever. I got to speak to 9 different reps. They didn’t seem very knowledgeable. Glad it works now. Call. Don’t email. They will not respond to you by email.

freddypaul | 15 oktober 2019

I would like to post my experience(still going through the pain) if getting my gateway working.
Got my solar panel + inverter + powerblaster installed almost a month back. System was enabled two weeks back and since then I could see the Solar Panel production in my app. I had trouble getting my powerblaster working and showing the consumption from grip and panel correctly. Nothing from powerblaster shows up. Multiple call over two weeks and online debug by rebooting the system did not help. Finally they agreed to send someone onsite to fix it and scheduled for Oct 15. Yesterday(Oct14) afternoon all of a sudden powerblaster started showing some data, but weired even in the night 8PM full dark it shows my Solar panel is producing power(~0.8kW). am i lucky to get a panel that produce energy from the dark LOL not that luck. Something really wrong with the powerblaster, looking at the main meter and NEM meter and inverter all looks good showing what is being generated and consumed. Today on oct15 a technician came to check the system, as per him he did something the previous day to get the powerblaster working. Still the data seems to be incorrect and started working on the system. After around 20 minutes he comes back and told me everything is working fine and the problem was caused due to wrong serial number registered in their system. Happy everything working fine, since I was not feeling well today I did the mistake of not going out in the early morning cold to check if it is really working. Looked at the app and there was solar generation and fully consumed by my home. After some time when the sun really came out I check the system again and it still shows wrong data. Main meter says system is feeding power to grid(-ive reading), NEM meter says almost the same as the inverter. The App say same KW shown on the Inverter/NEM meter as consumed by Home, and the part of it is coming from Solar panel and part from Grid. I dont know what was fixed system still shows wrong data. Again back to call with customer care and they say at their end everything looks good and if there is something wrong with your meter call the utility provider to fix it(Now they started doubting the main meter that was there on my home for years). I contracted Tesla to get this system up and running and paid them to do this end-to-end. Again explaining to them with great patience they agreed to send a technician but with a rider: If there nothing wrong on our side you will be charged service fee!(First show me this thing working end to end as promised at least once). Finally they say wait for 24/28 hours for their system to get updated and app to sync before asking another technician out on the property and save the service cost. Well someone is looking out for the customer to save some money. I decided to wait since it is big enough amount to be saved. Now what another half hour app is stuck with old data, no more update of real time data, checked two hours later same story no more real time data.Hopefully I will have some time in my day after talking to the customer care to update the experience here. Looks like I will have spend another long hours with Tesla customer care.

reilly | 19 oktober 2019

Panels via renting with no power wall has been installed.
Just got permission to turn on.
I turned it on and it looks like it is generating.
The gateway is plugged in for power and internet, no red lights indicating issues.
My app is signed I. Yet I can’t see ANY info. Just says there is an error trying to receive data....
HELP?!?

gregbrew | 19 oktober 2019

We're customers, just like you. That's something that Tesla Customer support should be able to help you with. Call them. E-mails seem to get lost is the Ether.

Paolobeltran | 23 oktober 2019

@reilly, I am in the same boat. I am also a subscriber, and the only info the app shows is the production. I don't see the screens for energy usage, impact and grid flow as shown on this page: https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/solar-panels/mobile-app/overview
Have you had any luck with yours? I will try moving the gateway closer and also reboot it, as well as restarting the inverter. I did that today already with no luck. I have a ticket in with Tesla and I may call them by Friday this week if it still doesn't change.

gregbrew | 24 oktober 2019

Paolobeltran, You will only get home consumption data if you had a PowerBlaster consumption monitor device installed in your mail electrical panel during the PV system installation *or* if you have Powerwalls. If you have a PowerBlaster, you'll see a dedicated, labeled breaker in your main electrical panel. Powerwalls have their own, independent monitoring system that includes consumption. If you did not have consumption data prior to the changeover from MySolarCity to the Tesla app, it means you probably didn't have the PowerBlaster device installed, and the Tesla app does not have access to the data that's not being measured. Without either a PowerBlaster or Powerwalls, you won't see "Energy Usage" or "Impact" in the Tesla app, as both require consumption data for their calculations.

Paolobeltran | 24 oktober 2019

@gregbrew thank you very much for making that clear. I had no idea. I am very disappointed that Tesla didn’t install the power blaster as the app is incomplete without the usage and energy impact data. I will contact them to ask about it. They never even mentioned it to me. I wish I had known ahead of time so I could have asked during the installation. I wonder if only the Power Blaster is compatible with the Tesla app or if I can use another energy monitor like Sense or something. Thanks again.

jamespetchonka821 | 25 oktober 2019

It seems like I'm in the same boat, Paolobeltan. I was given permission to turn on my solar panels on October 18th and couldn't figure out why I could only see solar production. A PowerBlaster was never mentioned to me and you would think it would be part of the standard installation to monitor your home power usage. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed/upset at Tesla over this.

Patrick | 25 oktober 2019

FWIW many solar inverters do not include home energy consumption monitors as a standard feature. A relatively easy fix is adding a whole-house energy monitor like those available from Sense or Neurio (now Generac).

We’ve been using the Neurio/Generac solution for about two years with good success. Fairly easy to install, free cloud-based data storage, nice mobile app for remote access. Monitors both solar generation and home consumption data with good accuracy compared to inverter data stream.

Make sure to get the version with 4 current transformers (CTs) - two are clamped on the 240VAC solar inverter output (measures generation), the other two are clumped on the 240V feed into the main breaker panel of the home (measures consumption). You may be surprised when you see EXACTLY how much energy is being used by various devices in the home.... Very educational.

Noam | 25 oktober 2019

The PowerBlaster (a customized device that is only available from Tesla) is the only thing that can send usage data to the Tesla app (if, as Greg pointed out, you *don't* have a Powerwall).
However, there are other third-party devices out there (the Sense is just one of them), that can measure both consumption and solar production, and provide their own apps / web interfaces for monitoring.

Keep in mind, however, that there are technical and electrical code limitations in some cases (and locations), which may be why Tesla couldn't install a PowerBlaster. If that's the case for you, then those same limitations might prevent installing a different monitoring device, too. I recommend you check with a licensed electrician (who likely would have to come take a look at your breaker box to make that determination).

Paolobeltran | 25 oktober 2019

I called Tesla and they confirmed that a Power Blaster was supposed to have been installed in my panel. They will send a field service technician in the next week or two to install. Hoping it goes through, you never know with Tesla. I was quite pleased though with their telephone support. Much easier than online.

Paolobeltran | 26 oktober 2019

Update: I was curious so I opened up the MSP and removed the metal cover and it turns out that they did install the PowerBlaster. It is on and functioning, however for some reason it is not sending the consumption data to the Tesla app. How do I "force"it to do so? I googled and can't find a user manual for the PowerBlaster PB1 model. Frustrating.

Noam | 28 oktober 2019

They would need to tie the registration of your PowerBlaster to your account. Take a photo of the serial number label (so you can read them the numbers), then call back to Customer Support, and ask them to add that information to your ticket, and escalate it to the troubleshooting department. Or, just wait for the tech to come, and do it for you.

ssinboston | 13 december 2019

I and another friend are no longer getting solar data to the app. The last data is from 12/8/19. I definitely am generating as I can see it in the inverter logs. I've re-booted the routers, deleted and re-installed the app. The app says that it is up to date but I have "zero" generation for the week.

Wondering if others are also having this issue.

gregbrew | 13 december 2019

My data is reporting just fine. I'm in So. CA. Running the Tesla app (3.10.1-384) on the latest PW firmware (1.43.3) on an old Android (5.0) Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

ssinboston | 13 december 2019

@gregbrew Thanks for your info. I have an iPhone SE, and I have an iPad and my friend an iPhone 6. The app "works" in that I can see data prior to 12/8/19, but all data after Sunday is not showing.

I was thinking of trying the other rebooting techniques listed from October in the Forum.

rogerdata | 15 december 2019

ssinboston Same problem since Nov 22. I have rebooted several times and call several times. They now say that I need a firmware update. They scheduled for Jan 13. Very inexcusable response. Since the system was working for months before this I don't see how a firmware update is going to help. I still get immediate info but no IMPACT or ENERGY USAGE data in the app. If you find out what the problem is for you that please keep use in the know as will I.

ssinboston | 15 december 2019

Still isn’t working and now I have a Fault on the inverter. How did you actually get to speak to someone? I filled out a form a few days ago and just filled out another. (The form says someone will contact me in three business days)

@rogerdata Did you reboot the inverter too or just the gateway?

I get no new data in the app and now it says “graph data unavailable”. I guess the production is still going to the grid, just not reporting? Sure hope so. Losing the energy too would super suck