Forums

PG&E rate plan change adds 7 hours to off-peak charging

PG&E rate plan change adds 7 hours to off-peak charging

For those with PG&E (Northern California) and having the EV-A rate plan, they are transitioning to a new plan in November - EV2-A. The major change is the cheapest rate, off-peak changes to Midnight to 3 pm daily for a total of 15 hours of off-peak. Previously it was 11 am to 7 am. Notices are being sent out to customers now with all the details.

andy.connor.e | 5 september 2019

Thats pretty sweet for charging and air conditioning

Tessnme | 5 september 2019

The off peak rate will be $.03 / KWH more, but go for 7 hours longer on weekdays. It already went to 3 pm on weekends. The peak rate will be $.03 / KWH lower. I figure my electric bill will be about the same. But for people who aren't normally home during the day, or people who drive lots of miles, the bill will be higher. PG&E outsmarts the Public Utilities Commission again.

mbirnie51 | 5 september 2019

I just did a quick calculation for a bill that covered June-July 2019. I used 35 Kw during PEAK hours , 286 Kw during OFF_PEAK hours, so I'll save about $0.90 for PEAK consumption and pay about $8.85 more for my OFF-PEAK consumption. Looks like a rate increase to me. NOTE: I also have solar system and we are also on 3rd party demand supply, so these figure may be altered once I get all the information.

For those of us on Time-of-Use (TOU) we generally use more during OFF-PEAK hours, so this is a way for PG&E to get back some more $$. Has this been approved by Public Service Commission??

TranzNDance | 5 september 2019

Do we get to stay on our current plan?

NKYTA | 5 september 2019

@Tranz, I don’t think so.

Probably a wash if we run the washing machine and Dishwasher before 3pm.

TeslaTap.com | 6 september 2019

While more hours is positive, there could be negatives:
1) They didn't state what if any changes to the kWh rate would be at each tier with EV2-A
2) Those with solar may get less compensation for generation/use between 7 am and 3 pm.

@nbirnie51 - Something looks way wrong with your calculations - ignoring solar. If the rate doesn't change, using more off-peak than on-peak will save money. Roughly every kW that shifts from peak rates to off-peak saves you $0.28 per kWh at current rates. It's more complex than that, as I'm ignoring partial-peak hours. Solar adds quite a bit of additional complication to the calculations. I'll need to see the rates to see how it affects me.

story | 6 september 2019

Seems like this really decreases the incentive for Solar generation, and is a response to surging Solar generation in California. Perhaps it will incent folks to reorient their solar to generate during the later afternoon hours, so there is more generation at the higher-demand times?

I suppose it also increases the value of having a Powerwall or similar battery backup, when you can use it for timeshifting your generated solar energy into the evening hours....

Tessnme | 6 september 2019

They posted the EV2 rate sheet at pge.com/evrates. It looks like the new, expanded off peak rate is $.156 / KWH, year round. The vanishing EVA rate $.135 summer and $.138 winter. The new rates are a response to the "duck's neck" power curve problem caused by increased solar production abruptly ending at sundown all across California. If you have an EV and solar, you might be better off with one of the other time of use plans, otherwise, you'll only get 14 cents for every KWH you send back to PGE and pay 47 cents per KWH later in the day.

I guess you could get a power wall and charge it every night and discharge during peak time. By my rough calculation you could reduce your power bill by $1300 a year. That's a 5 year payback, plus you get a day's power backup.

JPPTM | 6 september 2019

New plan sucks. Yes, longer off peak, but about $0.03/kw more. peak time now shifted well into the afternoon/evening, so major offset with respect to solar production. so your solar cranks but is NEM at the partial peak rate, then you come home and use AC, etc at the peak rate. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a very nice PG&E rep on this, since I am being closed out of my EV-A in November (after 5 years). They offered EV2-A, which actually will add $1500/year to my bill, assuming my usage is basically the same as it is now. believe it or not, the next 2 most expensive plans are the 2 alternate TOU plans, and the least punitive is the old E-1 tiered NON-TOU plan, which theoretically adds about $400/year to my bills. No good answer. yes, maybe use Powerwalls, but you must charge them from solar to get the tax break (you can't charge from PG&E overnight as Tessnme suggests). All just a way for PG&E to extract more $$ and screw solar producers. The only saving grace is that my panels are east-west, so i get a bit of a later afternoon boost.

Tessnme | 6 september 2019

JPPTM: Thanks for correcting me. Too bad Tesla doesn't allow charging the Powerwall from the grid. So they have an inverter for AC power out, but not AC in? Tesla is missing a great financial incentive for the Powerwall.

NKYTA | 6 september 2019

Can’t do Solar or Powerwall, but we will have to time shift the washer, dryer, dishwasher a bit. Close to net-zero, but a change for sure. Meh.

JPPTM | 7 september 2019

Tessnme--it is not a technical issue or the fault of Tesla that you cannot charge a Powerwall from PG&E grid, but an economic/political one. If you want the tax break in CA, you cannot charge your Powerwall from the grid. If you don't care about the 30% tax incentive, you can charge from the grid. Not an inverter issue.