Forums

Power Consumption Comparison

Power Consumption Comparison

In the discussions about BEV v. ICE vehicles, I have yet to see a comparison of energy consumption per mile. I did a little calculating and found that my Model X BTU/mile is a little less than 25% of the BTU/mile for my (former) Mercedes ML430. I find this a startling comparison. I live in an area of relatively low electricity cost (I charge both my X and my 3 in my garage) so I enjoy the reduced fuel cost/mile, but had not fully appreciated the large efficiency gap.
Which brings me wondering about the emergy/mile of Hydrogen Fuel Cell powered vehicles. I see no way to determine how much Hydrogen is used per mile, nor how to get from that number to the common denominator of BTU/mi. How the heck do they monitor/measure H2 obtained at a refueling station? What cost is typical for H2 refueling?

Are there any better scientific types out there who can enlighten me?

I do agree with Mr. Musk that hydrogen fuel cell/battery is a dumb idea.

TeslaTap.com | 9 september 2019

Seems most H2 cars come with 3 years of free H2 included in the deal. I've heard H2 costs are about the same as regular gas per-mile of travel, but not something I know of for sure. H2 cars appear to have far worse efficiency than EVs. Here are some numbers and a good chart comparing fueling vs electricity: https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Hydrogen-Cars-Struggle-To-Compete-...

Perhaps unrelated, for each gallon of gas, it takes about 7 kWh of electricity for manufacturing and delivery.

jimglas | 9 september 2019

good info, thanks

jimglas | 9 september 2019

didnt that sound like a spambot?