Forums

Rim repair in Austin, TX?

Rim repair in Austin, TX?

Anyone have a recommendation for rim rash repair in Austin?

Thanks!

Sslnight | 15 september 2019

I have used Wheel Recon and Wheel Technologies. Both do a good job and both cost about $150 per wheel.

vmulla | 15 september 2019

Not the answer you're looking for but...

I remember @PhillyGal using a tape around the rim to mask rim rash. That looked ok once completed.

Perhaps you can consider that solution since rim rash on the 3 is common and likely to reoccur?

I just use a black sharpie to mask the exposed metal :(

darilds | 15 september 2019

It's pretty easy to fix your own rim unless it is really bad. Plenty of videos on youtube to show you how. Essentially it's sandpaper the rash smooth and then paint with Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match Scratch Fix All-in-1 Touch-Up Paint (which is a match for the paint on 18 inch aero wheels.

DaShyt | 16 september 2019

If you are trying to repair the 18 inch Aero wheel, you can fix it yourself. This is what you will need.

1. 220 grit sandpaper
2. 600 grit sandpaper
3. 1000 grit sandpaper
4. Sand the bad area of the rim in this order ~ 200/600/1000
5. Put rubbing Alcohol on a Lint-Free Cloth to clean the area after you finish sanding.
6. Use masking paper and Painter's tape to cover areas you wont be painting
7. Rust-Oleum, Universal Advanced Formula, Metallic (spray) Paint & Primer In One, (color) Flat Soft Iron. Available from Home Depot or Lowes for about $12.
Apply 3-4 coats, on a warm day, 30-minutes between each. Nothing needed after final coat.
Color and finish is an "exact" match. No applicator brush marks and no clear coat needed (high gloss).
With proper cleaning and sanding, when finished you will have difficulty finding the repair area.

texxx | 16 september 2019

Thanks everyone, should have mentioned these are 19" silver rims. May give self-repair a shot.
Thanks sslknght for the local recommendations.