Forums

Some Excellent News: VICTORY for EVs!

Some Excellent News: VICTORY for EVs!

Daimler stops developing internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars
After reigning in the auto industry as the powertrain of choice for a century, the internal combustion engine is finally dying.

Now even Daimler says that it is stopping development of new internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars.

The German automaker whose namesake, Gottlieb Daimler, is credited for having invented the prototype of the modern gasoline engine recently released its latest generation internal combustion engine and it might be its last.

According to German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, Daimler development chief Markus Schaefer said that they currently have no plans to develop a next-generation combustion engine and they are focusing on new electric powertrains.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/19/daimler-stops-developing-internal-combust...

Daimler would not be doing this if they really thought EVs will never be more than a niche product. BTW, GM is in discussions with the UAW to reopen one of the plants it just closed that caused to the strike to build... electric trucks.

Musk has won. The Tesla killers just got killed.

What's even funnier, I was watching a YouTube video on predictions for the economy yesterday and this hedge fund type got up and predicted Tesla will be out of business by the end of 2020.

Don't think so.

andy.connor.e | 19 september 2019

Thats why you have to take numbers that are derived by "Predictions" with less than a grain of salt.

RedShift | 19 september 2019

This is big.

To think that Trump just passed an order to curb California’s right to set stricter emission standards!

What a clown..

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 19 september 2019

Free market capitalism will fix this global warming crisis.

quite a good thing we have Musk. No one else would do it.

TeslaTap.com | 19 september 2019

Perhaps California should forget emission standards entirely, just increase the gas tax by $1 each year and reduce income taxes by a similar amount or have it go into EV rebates. It would also help in getting rid of the least efficient gross polluters still on the road.

@TT

You cant tax people for driving a vehicle they can afford. That eliminates the free market because you're penalized for purchasing a car that runs on gas. Right now EVs are a financial incentive for someone who already buys a car that costs similarly compared to a Tesla (M3, MS or MX). Most people cant afford that price tag, and all that gas tax will do is be a tax on the middle/lower class.

As @Neo said, the free market will fix itself when companies offer a better product. Right now, there is only 1 company doing that. Give it time, other companies have only just started to realize EVs are going to destroy them if they dont act fast.

dmm1240 | 19 september 2019

Two. Rivian just signed a contract to deliver 100k EV delivery trucks to Amazon. I think Rivian learned from pioneer Tesla's mistakes and is avoiding several. Their consumer truck actually looks quite good.

jimglas | 19 september 2019

@DMM: do you have a link?

jimglas | 19 september 2019

never mind, the google gave it to me

SCCRENDO | 19 september 2019

@andy and @neo. We are getting there but we are not at a point where the free market will fix climate change. The Trump engineered free market will accelerate climate change, We still need incentives for people to switch to EVs and punitive measures to move them away from fossil fuels, Of course my debating point doe not make sense to those who w=do not understand the causes and implications of climate change

We are getting closer and closer each year. We cant solve it in 2 years, but its getting quite a bit better. If the solar roof gets actually deployed next year, that will be a massive carbon reduction for residential.

Tropopause | 19 september 2019

Isn't Daimler recently invested in a battery factory?

RedShift | 19 september 2019

That’s very smart from Rivian. Strategic partners and investment is the way to go.

I like that quirky looking truck.

SamO | 19 september 2019

Good news. Doesn't mean Daimler will survive. But Tesla's performance at the "Ring must have spooked them.

Their days of laying claim to performance beyond what an EV can achieve are over.

Tesla fanboys happy with another automaker? Say it ain't so.

lol

jordanrichard | 20 september 2019

This is great news, but try not to get carried away with “the ICE is dead” chants. Don’t lose sight of the details of this announcement. They are not going to invest in new engine designs. MB tend to keep using an engine design for well over 10 years.

blue adept | 20 september 2019

Some times only in small steps, one at a time, but progress marches on nonetheless.

+1 for Daimler Chrysler

(psst ... BTW jongens, nog steeds wachtend op die Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 levering, een 2 + 2 coupé in obsidiaan zwart metallic [rood is niet mijn kleur], en een cabriolet in nautisch blauw metallic, hoewel ik graag de 24 -inch lichtmetalen velgen met centrale vergrendelingen op beide ... geen fan van de gedeeltelijk transparante velgen ... Bedankt)

guyvii7 | 20 september 2019

@blue adept... Sabaton says it best about the reign of I.C.E cars, LOL..

Fränder, bröder, vår stormaktstid är över
Vårt rike blöder, fanan står i brand
Aldrig, aldrig, aldrig återvända
I.C.E stormaktstid till ända

blue adept | 20 september 2019

@guyvii7

Mina kommentarer var på holländska, du vet, av respekt för Daimler, men svenska verk också.

Vad är det? En Game of Thrones-referens?

guyvii7 | 22 september 2019

@ blue adept LOL. Sorry, it is part of a Sabaton song, Ruina Imperii . Song about the end of the Swedish empire. Very good song.

rxlawdude | 22 september 2019

Dutch treat today?

Language, fellas.

blue adept | 25 september 2019

@guyvii7

Thanks for the heads up, though I'm not much into power metal because they (bands) always seem so angry or pissed off at someone or trying to incite some violence and the world is aggressive enough as it is, IMHO.

Anyway, I actually meant to type my comments in Danish anyway (a side effect of multi-tasking), ergo:

(psst ... BTW fyre, venter stadig på den Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 levering, en 2 + 2 coupé i obsidian sort metallic [rød er ikke min farve], og en cabriolet i nautisk blå metallic, selvom jeg kan godt lide de 24 - tommer legeringshjul med centrallås på begge ... ikke en fan af de delvis gennemsigtige hjul ... Tak)

@rxlawdude

First Dutch, then Swedish, and now Danish!

Don't worry though, nothing bad was said.

We are a multi-lingual site because the preference for clean alternatives to ICE's is an international one.

don.lind | 25 september 2019

And google translate helps with understanding things in languages we don't know. Also, you guys sent me off to YouTube to find and listen to that song... Grandpa and Grandma came from Sweden a little over 100 years ago, so I was interested... I'm also not into that power metal style, but that story was sobering...

So Trump tells California they can't limit car pollution, and then Trumps Environmental Protection Agency threatens California with the elimination of billions of dollars of road repair funds because... seriously... because the air quality isn't good enough in California and they're supposedly not working to improve it. Boggles my mind... sigh.

By the way, as of 2020, California requires new homes to be constructed with solar panels.

@don.lind

It's all just another Trump-ism...If it ain't broken, he'll 'fix it' until it is.

California is already suing over the BS and can obtain an injunction to prevent the interference in their region-specific &/or local environmental regulations.