Forums

Frightening Moment in my S

Frightening Moment in my S

So I was driving 70MPH in the car pool lane of the 605 with NOAP on and suddenly my screens froze. No biggie as this has happened before. A few seconds later BOTH SCREENS GO BLACK. The AP seemed to keep working, but I immediately disengaged it and started making my way to the right lane to exit so that I could reboot everything. A few seconds later the system automatically reboots while I am traveling at 60 MPH. Good to know that the driving systems keep working, but it was a scary minute or so.

RedJ | 29 september 2019

This can happen from time to time. As you pointed out this does not affect driving systems as those are on a different computer, but it does affect visualization of AP as well as all climate control etc... Generally speaking taking back control from AP is a conservatively prudent step to take.

Bighorn | 29 september 2019

No need to pull over. Breathe and reboot, if necessary. Kind of like riding a bike.

Hammonddave | 29 september 2019

Thanks, guys... first time it happened to me in a year.

Shesmyne2 | 29 september 2019

‘ Breathe and reboot, if necessary ‘
Agreed.
Even though it’s ‘happened before’ it’s still a little disconcerting so I get the need to calm & breathe.
I know it would make me a little panicky too...glad it worked out.

Still Grinning ;-)

PBEndo | 29 september 2019

careful with the lane changes as you can lose your turn signal indicators during reboot...

rm760 | 29 september 2019

You can issue a reboot while driving by pushing both scroll wheels and holding till the screens go blank.

Bighorn | 29 september 2019

You lose the audible signal of the blinkers, but they continue to work.

NKYTA | 29 september 2019

I drove halfway across PA with a black screen, car was fine.
Pulled the MCU fuse but still had to deal with it back to CA.

Sometimes reboots worked with a broken MCU, sometimes not.

I still got home

Car does drive.

kerryglittle | 30 september 2019

Just don't do a hard boot when going 70 miles per hour. :-)

Bighorn | 30 september 2019

I rebooted in Atlanta traffic last night when my speedo froze. Even after 6 years, there’s always that small fear that the MCU won’t pull through:)

RAR | 30 september 2019

Bighorn - I know you like to be brief, but sometimes it brings up the wrong image. LOL

Anthony J. Parisio | 30 september 2019

LOL!

Haggy | 2 oktober 2019

The car works fine while rebooting, minus obvious stuff like the navigator, sound system, etc. I've had the car reboot on me on its own only once in five years as far as I can recall. But there are other times that I rebooted and it was never a problem. Tesla tells you not to do it, and I can't blame them, because they know that there won't be problems if you are moving. That doesn't mean that there will be problems if you are moving, but they don't want to take a chance that they might have missed something. Obviously since there's a risk of the system crashing and rebooting on its own, they have to design it to work while it's rebooting.

jordanrichard | 2 oktober 2019

Ya, it’s real fun when that happens at night...... :-)

PBEndo | 2 oktober 2019

@Bighorn
That's why I said turn signal indicators....

Bighorn | 2 oktober 2019

@RAR
You caught that? Lol!

@PB
Were you pre-law? ;)

PBEndo | 3 oktober 2019

Bite your tongue!

PBEndo | 3 oktober 2019

Many moons ago I actually corrected Nick Howe on the same issue so I am well aware that the turn signals keep functioning during reboot. The sound stops and in the past the blinking dash indicator would stop, but I think it continues through the reboot now.

ggendel | 3 oktober 2019

Sometimes these glitches can be puzzling. Recently, I was within 200 feet of my destination on a ~100 mile trip and the GPS started rattling off every turn from the start in rapid succession. Good thing I knew where I was because it sure was confused.