Forums

Any suggestions on how to keep the rear view camera clear while driving in the rain?

Any suggestions on how to keep the rear view camera clear while driving in the rain?

I drive with the rearview camera on all the time because i block my rear windshield with a heavy tint to keep the hot sun out, but i can't see anything in the rear when driving in the rain or backing up the car into my garage.

Any suggestions on how to keep the rearview camera lens dry or clear while driving in the wet weather, such as a lens cap with a wiper or ...? No, Rain-X does not help at all.

pgkevet | 3 oktober 2019

No practical answers;
Mount a tuba on the roof and a piece of hose to keep blowing air over the lens.
Steal a 3-way tap from your dentist, mount a car emergency compressor inside and the option of blowing air/water and air or water over the lens to keep it clean...
Mount a microcloth on a wire arm so every time you open the truck it cleans the lens..
Sorry.

Anthony J. Parisio | 3 oktober 2019

RainX is the only thing I can think of to do.

PBEndo | 3 oktober 2019

I use the rear camera constantly and only on rare occasions does rain distort the view. Rain-X is a good idea though I have never felt I needed it on the camera.

jordanrichard | 3 oktober 2019

Never tried this, but perhaps simply smearing a little vegetable oil on the lens will keep water droplets from sticking.

Though it is obviously a tad late for this, but not much sun gets into the interior via the back window. The "opening" between the top of the backseat/head rests and the roof is too small for any meaningful light to get through.

Bighorn | 3 oktober 2019

Carry a microfiber. Fortunately, Model 3 is better protected.

Bighorn | 3 oktober 2019

Carry a microfiber. Fortunately, Model 3 is better protected.

flickroll | 3 oktober 2019

Get a trunk monkey.

AIA304 | 8 oktober 2019

Cut and Rub a potato over it and then wipe dry. Works for windshields too.

Ross1 | 19 oktober 2019

Or spray it with WD40/ RP7