Forums

Disappointed in Cybertruck, glass doesn't perform as advertised

Disappointed in Cybertruck, glass doesn't perform as advertised

Second part is a joke. First part is serious.

I was really excited about this. I guess i'll keep that Rivian reservation. It's almost time to replace my Tundra.

I know the fanboys are going to freak out and tell me how wrong I am.

I feel like I was just Windows Vista'ed

Maxxer | 21 november 2019

I’m shocked

nukequazar | 21 november 2019

Sorry but that was a disaster. Not ready for prime time at all. Started badly referring to himself as “creator” and got worse, culminating in horrible glass failure. Hopefully it doesn’t give the TSLA shorts too much to celebrate tomorrow,

On the bright side, the ATV looks awesome! That thing could sell like crazy and be very profitable.

KgM3 | 21 november 2019

Tesla makes really good looking cars. I own a Model 3.Love it....
BUT this truck!? WTF?! Ugly as sin.

I am going to go to sleep and wake up tomorrow à sign nothing happened

whitehead.kevin | 21 november 2019

It is really ugly but the functionality and performance are crazy. Reserved the top model. The busted glass was hilarious and clearly threw him off his game, not that he's a very good speaker anyway.

chadbobb | 21 november 2019

yes, I love my Model 3. It's the best vehicle I have owned and frankly driven.

This "pickup"... I don't even know what to think. I know I have always claimed I'm a big fan of EVs but not a Tesla Fanboy. I've followed Tesla since 2004. I have talked up Elon and Tesla since then... Since before they had a car.

This was a terrible move.

eandmjep | 21 november 2019

95% disappointed, only like was the built in ramps.

rehutton777 | 21 november 2019

I think the truck will appeal to a large market of persons who consider themselves "futurists". I would liked to have seen the interior design and finish. I am shocked that Elon didn't know that the windows would shatter when struck by that steel ball - - what the hell was that all about? Did they even test it first? THAT was a disaster and virtually inexcusable for a guy who launches rockets into space! I'll be curious to see what the order history looks like in a few days.

Oh I ordered it... it said $100 and fully refundable. I am hoping tomorrow it's all a joke and I have a spot in line.

Mikael13 | 21 november 2019

I think Elon got super pissed and ended the presentation after the windows broke. I really believe I was getting punked... and I kinda still do.

I'm guessing he ended it to minimize the minutes of video streaming live with the broken windows. Those images will be meme fodder that will haunt him and Tesla forever.

Oh i'm sure someone is getting fired over that.

The guy did say, "Are you sure?" before he threw it. Then Elon doubled down, and the rest is history.

WillRide | 21 november 2019

Ok, throwing a steel ball at the window was a really dumb idea, which backfired in a big way. But the glass overall does look stronger than most vehicles out there. The door held up pretty well to the hammer. I do like the adjustable ground clearance, onboard air compressor and 110/220 power outlets. The stealth fighter lines will take some getting used to. Not for everyone.

DCM3 | 21 november 2019

I guess Elon figured everyone was "wrapping" their Teslas anyway so why bother painting the Cybertruck?

A New meme was born

« Are you sure? »

spuzzz123 | 21 november 2019

Can we expect to see an SNL parody in about 36 hours?

exPGAhacker | 21 november 2019

Ugly design, kinda like Cadillac when they tried to go futuristic. However, specs are great on the TriMotor version so I ordered. I had one of the first Model S vehicles, passed on the X, bought two more S's and a 3. May well be sorry, but I doubt it.

The stock will take a hit, and as it falls, I will buy more. I gotta believe this will be as good a vehicle as my other four Teslas have been.

Sjohnson1975 | 21 november 2019

Well Musk did warn everyone it would be different. It is called a Cybertruck. I was expecting something crazy looking and they delivered lol

Although it won’t hurt anything. It was just dumb.

My question is, can they really deliver that thing at $40k and make a profit?

spuzzz123 | 21 november 2019

I don’t know it’s crazy. There is a huge difference in specs though between variants. I suspect there won’t be a ton of the entry level sold.

Bagzzz | 21 november 2019

This is awesome for road trips. Looks like a stealth fighter, which grew on me over time. I think my camper would look super redneck in that. Very impressed with toughness and value proposition. My atv is dying,I know what brand my next one is. I have a reservation...2022 might be a little late as my Ram is dying, but I can get a Ram for the next few years and put this off until the bugs are worked out. Maybe year 3 of production.

lph | 21 november 2019

Well I have to disagree with most of you. You are stick in the muds.
The spec's are very impressive, and I think it looks really cool. Particularly in the short movie clip of it on the road.
I think the typical American truck (by Ford, GM and RAM) look awful because they look like bricks, and I know that many people from other parts of the world think so too.
Finally, I am not sure if it is a great idea to have glass you can't break from the inside. An unfortunate show hiccup when it cracked but means nothing to me.

lph | 21 november 2019

My wife also really likes it.

vinisiousscholes | 21 november 2019

The Energy Efficiency Guide is an innovative guide that explains, step by step, how to create an eco-friendly device in your garden and use it to meet your energy needs, or even replace your current energy supplier with a source of energy. energy. % natural
This online guide tells you how to reduce your energy bill by 80% and start harnessing the power of free energy. As global warming threatens to destroy lives as we know them, it is more important than ever in 2019 to look for ways to reduce their carbon footprint and help save the planet. To do this, the best solution is to use an innovative off-grid power generation method that you can design from the comfort of your home.
references on: https://worthychoices.com/power-efficiency-guide-review/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_efficiency

carlk | 21 november 2019

@lph Good point glass should be able to break from inside. Wife asked to put deposit on one too,

It_happens | 21 november 2019

Wow, that is one ugly vehicle...

SamO | 21 november 2019

Reservation secured.

Ross1 | 22 november 2019

It is about designing from first principles. Keep it simple. Strong chassis, minimal facies. No paint. Strong glass. There are few compromises in those first elements.
It takes genius to break out of the convention mould.
Einstein said that if you know your subject well enough you can describe it in just one sentence.
I believe this truck is that, in the metal. A properly understood subject in its simplest form.

Ross1 | 22 november 2019

fancies. Fancy bits and bobs.

Uncle Paul | 22 november 2019

Even with the glass breaking, the ball did not penetrate the interior.

None of the other truck manufacturers make anything near as protective, except for the fully armored vehicles.

Not mass market for sure, but imagine that it will sell better than most would expect.

SamO | 22 november 2019

100% mass market, boomer.

egonzo21 | 22 november 2019

I'm saddened by everyone's dismay over the design of the Cybertruck. I think its absolutely amazingly awesome. I reserved one. I love the design. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I can't wait. This will be a nice addition to our 2 Model Ses.

SamO | 22 november 2019

The age breakdown between those that hate the truck and those that think it is a mind-blowing snapshot of the future is become clear.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMERS!!!!!!

sbeggs | 22 november 2019

@SamO,
Age 65. Ordered.

smthakker | 22 november 2019

At First I was like what the heck is this, but is overly different and interesting.. but I don't know if it is aesthetically pleasing or just sorta cool because we haven't ever seen a production car like that. I am interested in it, but I don't think it will sell well. I know my 8 year old son loves it, @SamO -- Your new design team consisting elementary school kids.

ralph | 22 november 2019

I have been waiting for over a year to see what the new Tesla truck was going to look like and the specifications. Well I really regret waiting. This has to be the ugliest truck I have ever laid eyes on. I am so disappointed I waited for this. I really liked the concepts I was seeing and was hoping that it was going to look more conventional. What a waste of my time. Looks like I need to limp my 1996 F150 along one more year and go for the Mustang Mach E instead. Thanks Tesla.

andy.connor.e | 22 november 2019

I could tell that even Elon was shocked that it broke. I see the unveil being the first real world testing scenario. Next time we see the truck i bet the windows will be unbreakable.

nipper2 | 22 november 2019

I am 80 own 2 S S2016 and S2019 I put my order in for the Truck I love it. Glass Cracked no big deal try doing that to any other truck.

smthakker | 22 november 2019

Ugh, Leave it to some idiot to start bringing age (@SamO) into this... If its ugly, its ugly.... It is subjective and won't appeal to everyone. Tesla has to try and appeal to mass market. I do not think this was it.

nipper2 | 22 november 2019

He said up front what he planned

SamO | 22 november 2019

@sbeggs,

much love!

andy.connor.e | 22 november 2019

Elon already said that this truck wont be for everyone. Something must have set him off about boomers.

Joe | 22 november 2019

So maybe they installed the windows inside out and were planing on leaving a great big steel ball inside the truck to bust out windows in an emergency. hahaha

nwfan | 23 november 2019

Age 63 ordered. This will be Tesla number 4. Let’s knock off the boomer reference.

hcwhy | 23 november 2019

Ordered one and dreamt about it all night. It's design is purposeful and utilitarian......not pseudo macho like the rest of 'em. (PS...I'm a boomer)

rbrak29 | 23 november 2019

@nwfan 1+, boomer here...one dual motor please!

bgbythsea | 23 november 2019

My initial reaction was WTF? But I gotta admit that it’s growing on me. I’m a boomer, so I probably won’t live long enough to see the dystopian zombie apocalypse; at witch time this would be the vehicle to have. I’ll take the one with the upgraded windows please.

charles_low | 23 november 2019

I suspect a lot of folks will think the truck is ugly, but like beauty, that is in the eye of the beholder. Trucks don't need to be pretty, they need to function. The bed is good size and thats good, the tailgate pulling out into a loading ramp is excellent. Stainless steel means it wont rust out, another plus.

However, It really needs to demonstrate three things: 1. a way to attach a rack for carrying ladders and other long work related items, horizontally, above the vehicle. 2. The ability to simply attach a winch to the front bumper. 3. The ability to simply mount a snow plow. If it can do these three things then it is a competitive mid to full size pickup. If it cant, it will be considered a toy.

As for the broken widow embarrassment at the unveiling, I don't really want unbreakable side windows, anyway. They need to be breakable so that emergency personnel can get to the injured, unconscious and trapped in an accident. An unbreakable / bullet proof windshield, on the other hand, would be wonderful.

I hope they succeed with cybertruck. My Tacoma will be 20 years old in 2023 and I hope to replace it with an electric pickup then. I will be happy to consider cybertruck then, if it proves to be a serious offering.

Pages