Forums

2019.40.2.1 my results

2019.40.2.1 my results

Just got the update and have a few thoughts compared to the prior version.

First, rain sensing wipers seem a lot better! Not perfect, but noticeably improved. I’m eager to see how they will learn & adapt based on my usage.

Second, I’m getting a lot of “pillar camera obstructed” messages for both the left and right cameras, which are perfectly clean. I do believe this is only happening on my dark, rural road with poor/missing fog lines; the messages do not appear on more “formally” marked lanes. But it’s a new behavior, so I’m noting it.

I don’t generally use autopilot (and I’ve only got the base version), but I tested it earlier on another dark, windy, rural road, and found it not staying centered enough for my comfort, especially in the corners. It appears as though the car can recognize the lines, as the avatar is shown skimming the lines in the visualizer when it’s actually happening in reality. Will try again under better conditions soon.

Regen seems to be somewhat reduced. Hard to tell for sure given the temps, but I’ll pay closer attention.

Scrannel | 14 december 2019

I'm also getting the pillar camera issues. Bright day light included.

marka2k | 14 december 2019

I got the update and tested yesterday and sorry to report in my case lane keeping is still an issue it swerves left to right on major highways and abruptly with no warning.

Pg3ibew | 14 december 2019

The camera issues may be due to the Sun light direction hitting the cameras. I had an issue on a really Sunny morning.

gmr6415 | 14 december 2019

@bp, "First, rain sensing wipers seem a lot better! Not perfect, but noticeably improved." "I’m eager to see how they will learn & adapt based on my usage."

I think you're going to be very disappointed. My understanding is that the car doesn't have any of it's own AI capabilities. The neural net takes in data from the fleet > results in software updates > sent out to fleet after testing.

Watch the Autonomy Day video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucp0TTmvqOE

vmulla | 14 december 2019

Nice description. Thanks

This might be the first major release where Tesla focused on HW3 (not just supported), I am interested to see observations that contrast hw2.5 with HW3. Perhaps someone has access to two cars with different hw versions and can share observations? Thanks

jebinc | 14 december 2019

I found the best feature/improvement of the 40.X series release is the improved lane changes. The worst being AP "Ping-ponging" between lane lines on highway at speed. Looking forward to that "just before xmas" release...

Sarah R | 14 december 2019

I've had 40.2 four a while. No swerving issues. Got 40.2.1 yesterday afternoon. Still no swerving or ping- pong.

@Sarah R,
I've noticed that EAP behaves better in some areas.

bp | 14 december 2019

@gmr6415 you’re right that I was under the wrong initial impression on how the wipers would “learn”, but I still think that’s good news and a good design; it will result in the efficacy of the system being consistent across the entire fleet, and getting better for everyone at a higher rate.

daddy88 | 14 december 2019

40.2.1 is the first time NOA worked for me exiting highway (previously it wouldn't even try to exit).

Rainy nights getting a lot of disabled EAP due to camera visibility issues (it says front). This type of condition is best operated by EAP though, I think final solution would still need some kind of lidar tech and not just rely on vision. Need an approved Rain-x type solution to bead up the water droplets otherwise the windshield is a bit blurred in the rain.

Passenger window was left down/open yesterday notified by co-worker (don't recall accidentally touching the window control), I used remote window close so don't know how much down it had been.

reesharr | 14 december 2019

This morning after the update I couldn't initially get into my Model 3 using my phone. I had to kill the app and restart it. I drove to my destination about 3 miles away and there was no rear camera when I reversed. Finally when I locked the car the external lights, including headlights, remained on. Unlocking and relocking the car made no difference.

At that point I rebooted the car and everything now seems to have gone back to normal. Oh and auto windscreen wiping actually works - at last! Until now I've had to set it manually every time, but this morning it was coming on with a few drops of rain and increasing wipe frequency as the rain intensified. Wey-hey!

slingshot18 | 14 december 2019

I've noticed zero changes except Slacker doesn't work as well as before.

Pondysh | 14 december 2019

I'm having a format problem with this forum. Keeps making fon.t to small to see. Anyway, i had the left pedestal camera problem, limit ed autopilot functionality. I noticed droplets inside camera area & tried to vaporize with magnifying glass, which didn't seem to work but the problem seemed to be gone a little while later. It was around the freezing temperature & possibly changing the state of the moisture, allowed the camera to work properly. The camera compartment should be sealed to keep moisture out if Autopilot is relying on those cameras to prevent serious injury or death if this is the cause!!! Did others notice the moisture droplets inside the pedestal camera area??

FISHEV | 14 december 2019

"I'm also getting the pillar camera issues. Bright day light included.:

Just got it on first ride with the update. Never saw it before so it must be taking the place of either Blind Spot Not Working or Lane Keeping Not Working.

Tesla is getting it wrong both ways.

1. We need to know what safety function is compromised by "Pillar Camera Not Working".
2. We need to know how to fix it it. "Wipe glass over camera" or some such.

bp | 14 december 2019

My cameras are spotless inside and out, and I’ve since gotten the message for all the cameras, sometimes at the same time (message switches to saying “multiple cameras”), and on the freeway. Only at night or in the rain though. This is definitely not a hardware issue. I think it’s just being more communicative about the state of its instrumentation.

Another funny thing I noticed: much more aggressive traffic cone detection, with a corresponding high rate of false positives. :)

FISHEV | 14 december 2019

"Only at night or in the rain though. This is definitely not a hardware issue."

I get BSI off and Lane Keeping off all the time, mostly at AM startup up with condensation and then with rain but can and does happen anytime and disappears (well the warning disappears, hopefully the safety is restored) in a few minutes so I assume water interfering with camera. Other camera based systems I've had never had this problem except in the most extreme conditions, torrential downpours or dense fog.

The "Pillar Cam blocked" came on when I got in the car this AM (cloudy, no rain) and was new warning. It did not say BSI or Lane Keeping were not working. Don't know if driver is supposed to assume that?

daddy88 | 14 december 2019

It would be good to be able to view through other cameras on the main screen to see if there is a problem (currently just rear camera).

Sarah R | 14 december 2019

I've seen the false cone hallucinations. But the only time I've gotten Cassandra messages was in dense fog.

gparrot | 14 december 2019

In my case, the left pillar message appeared, then disappeared after a few minutes. Only to re-appear, then re-disappear. A number of times.
Like FISH, I’d like to know what causes this, and what parts of EAP are now U/S.

I tried to move the car's avatar around after 40.1, it doesn't move as much as it used to while the car is moving - it's just like it was when the car is at a standstill. Bird's eye view of the car is fine, and so is the overall utility - but it's a small thing that changed.

Pooky2 | 14 december 2019

The right pillar camera blocked or blinded warning message is definitely a bug. Tesla needs to fix it. I got this message soon after the update. It happens even on a sunny day but most of the times it appears at night.

UK_SR_CFO | 15 december 2019

I have the “pillar camera obstructed” amber screen warning too. Only came on last night whilst driving (in the dark). Updated to 2019.40.2.1 on 11 December. UK SR+

jrweiss98020 | 15 december 2019

After 2 nights of driving in varying rain, I believe the Auto Wipers are MUCH improved. I had to prompt them with a button push a few times, but they usually worked well after that.

kevin_rf | 15 december 2019

I've had 40.2.1 on HW2.5 for the better part of a week and haven't seen any of the issues mentioned. I heavily use AP without NoAP and the only thing I've noticed is lane changes are greatly improved!