Forums

Received Credit Card Charge for Using Glenview, IL Supercharger

Received Credit Card Charge for Using Glenview, IL Supercharger

Went to Chicago for Christmas and charged up at the Glenview, IL supercharger before arriving at relatives. Received a credit card charge for $13.77 (51 kWh at $0.27/kWh plus $1.22 in tax). What's interesting is that I have free supercharging and no other supercharger that I hit on the trip over or back billed for usage. Is there something special about Glenview? I will say, the chargers there were not the "normal" supercharger, but looked like what Google shows as an urban supercharger. The Tesla website and in-car navigation does identify this as a supercharger.

Glenview, IL Supercharger

Abt Electronics
1200 Milwaukee Avenue
Glenview, IL 60025

Driving Directions

Roadside Assistance(877) 798-3752

Charging
10 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW

Anybody know if the urban chargers don't fall under the "free supercharging" program? I have sent an e-mail to servicehelpna@tesla.com asking for an explanation.

Bighorn | 14 januar 2020

I had an errant charge on my free car as well. Tesla fixed it and apologized. Took 3 weeks to get someone on it, though it was only $3.

bryan.hopkins | 14 januar 2020

Bighorn, did you use the same e-mail address that I did? Did you end up nagging them or did your e-mail finally make it to the top of the pile?

Bighorn | 14 januar 2020

I think I followed menus in the contact area of the website. I also called the main number. Guy spent half an hour trying to figure out what happened and ended up escalating it saying I should hear back in 3-5 days. Not entirely clear which approach got the email outreach 3 weeks later. My first email, I thought it was an idle fee because it didn’t cross my mind that I’d be charged for supercharging, so I initially got a boilerplate about idle fees.

Bighorn | 14 januar 2020

Happened on 12/14 if there was some system-wide glitch, perhaps?

Bighorn | 14 januar 2020

On the Tesla.com page
Support
Contact Us button at bottom of page
Vehicle Charging

Bighorn, thanks, wasn't aware of that means of contact. My charge occurred on 12/24.

Update, initiated a chat session with Tesla using the support link. Very nice agent did confirm that I have free unlimited supercharging and the fee was for charging, not idling. However, he was unable to go further and had me call the main support number. Talked with an agent there who verified same and said he was going to escalate to his manager for a refund. Should take 3-5 days and then I'll see the credit. We shall see. Chat session took about 30 minutes total and phone was about 10 minutes (mostly hold time). I'd suggest skipping the chat and just going straight to phone support.

PrescottRichard | 14 januar 2020

Good advice. I guess it takes a higher-up to reverse credit card charges. Hope that gets done quickly for you, still curious what went wrong though.

Good advice. I guess it takes a higher-up to reverse credit card charges. Hope that gets done quickly for you, still curious what went wrong though.

Oops. Sorry for the double post. Sorry for the apology post too.

Bighorn | 14 januar 2020

Yep—the 3-5 days didn’t happen for me presumably because of the Q4 delivery crush.

pa30pete | 14 januar 2020

Bryan.Hopkins The SCs at ABT (Glenview) are indeed urban 72 KW chargers (and do qualify for those that have FUSC) and the good thing about them is they are not paired with other chargers at that location so even if another Tesla pulls up and parks/starts charging in the spot adjacent to you, it won't lessen your rate of charge nor increase your time to reach your set goal SOC.
Being 5 minutes from my home and having FUSC for life, I use those ABT chargers aprox every ten days. Tesla has never accidentally charged me for using them. Some months back, one of those chargers was malfunctioning and stopping the charge in the middle of the cycle but I did notice that on my phone App which was on the free ABT WiFi freq and came back and re-started the charge..

bryan.hopkins | 17 januar 2020

Update - Received an e-mail from the Tesla Referral Program. They received the inquiry I opened via phone Jan 14. They acknowledged the error and will be initiating a refund which may take up to 30 days (their words). So, the initial time of 3-5 days is correct to get it escalated. Now, just need to wait 30 more days for the credit.

Bighorn | 17 januar 2020

My credit showed up the same day. They also said up to 30 days.