Forums

how to keep wifi to automatically stay on after leaving garage

how to keep wifi to automatically stay on after leaving garage

Now that premium connectivity trial is over, I've been using my iphone hotspot, but getting it to connect to Tesla wifi in car is a bit laborious since the wifi in the car automatically turns off when i leave the garage. So I have to go to the wifi settings, turn the wifi on and then find my iphone hotspot. My other devices (ipad) connect automatically to my iphone hotspot without having to do anything. Any one have a solution? Would rather not buy the premium connectivity since I always have my iphone in the car.

rahulblr | 18 januar 2020

I have the same issue. Need an easy way to switch over to my phone hotspot when available.

Robocheme | 18 januar 2020

Why not have the default wifi be your phone's hotspot? And then switch it to your home's wifi when you see an upgrade available.

EVRider | 19 januar 2020

@Robocheme: The issue is that the car disconnects from WiFi as soon as you switch out of Park, so your workaround won’t help. Maybe now that more people will rely on hotspots while driving, Tesla will address the issue.

hokiegir1 | 19 januar 2020

The garage itself is irrelevant. Wait until you've out the car in gear before connecting and it should solve the problem.

Atoms | 19 januar 2020

Maybe Tesla needs to identify WiFi type for entries. Like Home WiFi or Hotspot WiFi, or Public WiFi.

FISHEV | 19 januar 2020

"Wait until you've out the car in gear before connecting and it should solve the problem."

I'm assuming you mean "get the car in gear". You don't even have to be in gear, just get in the car and tap the Wifi button which should be in LTE mode when no Wifi. I do my updates that way all the time.

That said it can be problematic connecting my iPhone 7+ ATT and iPhone 8+ Verizon phones as hotspots. Tesla hates Verizon and connecting to the Verizon iPhone can be impossible. Tesla will just not accept the password. Sees the phone but just won't connect. With ATT it works much better and only occasionally doesn't remember the pwd and will accept it easily if it does.

Not sure I understand why you'd want it to stay connected to Wifi if you are not in the car. You should still have your LTE connection to communicate with the car while parked.

@fish - I meant put the car in gear...but phone typos. And the OP wants to use wifi instead of premium connectivity while driving. As soon as you go into gear, it goes out of wifi and onto LTE, but if you wait to connect until you are *in* gear, if will use the hotspot while driving.

@fish - I meant put the car in gear...but phone typos. And the OP wants to use wifi instead of premium connectivity while driving. As soon as you go into gear, it goes out of wifi and onto LTE, but if you wait to connect until you are *in* gear, if will use the hotspot while driving.

FISHEV | 19 januar 2020

"As soon as you go into gear, it goes out of wifi and onto LTE..."

Never watched it that close but I thought I was able to connect to iPhone and leave in Wifi as a I drove and as it downloaded update. I'll test it next update notice as I have to connect to iPhone hotspot to update.

calvin940 | 21 januar 2020

FISHEV, EAGLES, Whatever, you are a very sad and pathetic individual. Please leave and go haunt any of your other preferred auto vendors. Nobody wants you here. You are not welcome. You contribute nothing except lies and absolutely horrible math skills. Go away.

bernasfa | 21 januar 2020

Situation: garage NO LTE, WIFI OK. Tesla drop off the wifi connection after x time; you can maintain it to switch on the sentry mode. Pay attention, the energy consumption (if the car is not connected), especially in winter, increases dramatically.

EVRider | 21 januar 2020

Some of you are missing the point. When you switch out of park, the car automatically disconnects from WiFi. While you’re in gear, you can tap the LTE icon to reconnect to WiFi (your hotspot), and it will stay connected. People would like to just stay connected to WiFi when they shift into gear, without having to manually reconnect.

rxlawdude | 21 januar 2020

@EV, nice, succinct summary of the issue. This seems like a pretty easy software fix.

I'm still trying to figure out why the charge port door won't open when the phone key is clearly connected and in range (trunk opens, doors of course open). It requires me to open a door, close the door, then open the charge port.

This is totally different from the Model S, which allows the port to open without opening doors, even when the car's locked.

EVRider | 21 januar 2020

@rxlawdude: I can open my charge port when I have the phone key without unlocking anything else first. Once in a while it doesn’t work, but most of the time it does. Could it be where you keep the phone in your pocket?

spuzzz123 | 22 januar 2020

When model 3 is asleep, you can’t open chargeport even if phone is in range. Workaround is to slightly depress back left passenger door handle...not enough to open door but it will wake the car up. Then press your mobile charger button and the chargeport will open.

gmr6415 | 22 januar 2020

@spuzzz123, I've noticed the same, but I've also noticed that if I walk up to the car and just stand there for a few seconds I can hear the contactors make contact. At the point the car is waking up, and I can open the charge port door using the button in the end of the cable.

spuzzz123 | 23 januar 2020

Thanks gmr I will try it some time. If the wait isn’t too long might be an even better workaround.

lbowroom | 23 januar 2020

are you saying that you can stream slacker and get satellite maps with your hotspot?

finman100 | 23 januar 2020

satellite maps are puported to NOT work when using wi-fi and driving around. confirmation of this is what i'm also looking for. I do miss the satellite map since i'm no longer doing the $10/month for premium connectivity. I am giving it a month and will decide if it's worth it.

hokiegir1 | 23 januar 2020

I have heard (I have lifetime premium, so not positive) that you can definitely stream music, but I'm not positive on the maps.