Forums

2020 Model X battery life declining

2020 Model X battery life declining

This might have been addressed in earlier forum threads, but my search did not turn up anything. I purchased my Model X LR in November 2019. With a software update the range was set at 326. As of today, when charging my vehicle, the max range displayed is 318. Most times when charging, I set it for 85 to 90% charging limit, as to not drain the batter, as per the warning messages. Can anyone explain why the battery life has declined in such a short amount of time -- seven months?

freemarket | 23 juni 2020

Nothing to be majorly concerned about it, but as an owner it can be annoying over the years watching your 90% charge degrade. Especially seeing the 100% tail off. It can be based on your driving habits over those months; the system will give you a max range more accurately matching that, more than how it calculated max range when you first got it. My 90% charge on my Sept 2019 MX is around 288-289. Was 291 just a few months ago.

My 2014 Model S 90% charge actually came up a little a few months ago as things warmed up. One way or the other, I think any owner would love to see no change for quite a while, but that’s not realistic.

If you get more concerned about it, you can always schedule a ranger for an appointment and they’d be happy to perform a health check for you and explain more about how it all works.

freemarket | 23 juni 2020

Nothing to be majorly concerned about it, but as an owner it can be annoying over the years watching your 90% charge degrade. Especially seeing the 100% tail off. It can be based on your driving habits over those months; the system will give you a max range more accurately matching that, more than how it calculated max range when you first got it. My 90% charge on my Sept 2019 MX is around 288-289. Was 291 just a few months ago.

My 2014 Model S 90% charge actually came up a little a few months ago as things warmed up. One way or the other, I think any owner would love to see no change for quite a while, but that’s not realistic.

If you get more concerned about it, you can always schedule a ranger for an appointment and they’d be happy to perform a health check for you and explain more about how it all works.

TeslaTap.com | 24 juni 2020

@pevansjr "Can anyone explain why the battery life has declined in such a short amount of time -- seven months?"

Yes, the range is an estimate and goes down over time unless you recalibrate it. The real range hasn't changed as much. Now there is some battery degradation, and it is more in the first 6 months and than tapers off.

Calibration instructions and battery degradation curves are shown here: https://teslatap.com/articles/range-university/

Most of us find it's not worth worrying about. Unless you see a sudden 6% loss in a single day, what you are seeing is expected.

pevansjr | 24 juni 2020

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.