Forums

Starting tomorrow, EVs in CA have the privilege of paying $100 per year in extra registration fees

Starting tomorrow, EVs in CA have the privilege of paying $100 per year in extra registration fees

I am glad my 2018 Model 3 is grandfathered in so that I do not have to pay the extra $100 a year (in perpetuity) in registration fees.

geedub1023 | 30 juni 2020

Is that to make up for non-payment of taxes on gasoline purchases?

RES IPSA | 30 juni 2020

I believe so... SB1 passed in 2017 and goes into effect tomorrow (7/1/2020). But I do not think any EVs pay the extra $100 this year. I think owners of 2020 model year EVs start to pay it in 2021.

Los Angeles | 30 juni 2020

We need the money. Look at all the great things the CA government does with the state taxes it collects. Number one in schools, roads are like glass no pot holes, homeless are taken care of, etc.

rmg007 | 30 juni 2020

Are you really that concerned over $100/year?

drift | 30 juni 2020

It's still cheaper than gas tax, so be happy and enjoy the car and drive.

mrburke | 30 juni 2020

@drift -
1) We already pay more for our registration because of the way California computes it based on purchase price less depreciation.
2) @$.50/gal the $100 a year works out to 200 gallons of gas. The M3 is a very efficient car, so 50 mpg would not be out of the question.
So for people like me, who don't drive a lot of miles is CA, this is a very bad deal.

lbowroom | 30 juni 2020

“ The M3 is a very efficient car, so 50 mpg would not be out of the question.”

How is that relevant? You have to use whatever ICE car you’d be driving instead for costing

mrburke | 30 juni 2020

So, I would drive a Chevy volt. I would use almost no gas, and pay not extra $100 tax.
And if not that, then a Prius-prime. Same thing.

And one other thing about this. Roads get damaged by gas & oil the breaks down the asphalt. EVs don't leak a lot of gas.

lbowroom | 30 juni 2020

Well sell your Tesla and you can avoid the cost

@mrburke What year is your M3?

Magic 8 Ball | 30 juni 2020

EV's weigh more than ICE cars. Weight matters when it comes to road surface longevity.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 30 juni 2020

@geedub1023 | June 30, 2020

"Is that to make up for non-payment of taxes on gasoline purchases?"

That's the idea but it's all a big shell game. Very little of the road repair fund actually goes to repair roads, hence how poor they are relative to how much residents pay. They raid it for one pet project or another. Even in the Governor's proposed budget, he wanted to move money from that fund to the general fund, despite the voters have having passed at least three propositions to prevent exactly that.

@rmg007

"Are you really that concerned over $100/year?"

No, but it's yet another cost associated with a mismanaged state. Eventually every camel's back will break. California has been seeing consistent and growing net outmigration.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/10/31/190122-more-people-left-california...

Orthopod | 30 juni 2020

Kilometric tax is coming

Magic 8 Ball | 30 juni 2020

@M-A-B It appears the article only talks about migration between states and there is no mention of rich foreigners waiting in line to get into Hotel CA. It is no secret it takes a lot of money to live the "CA lifestyle" and we continue to have a housing shortage, not a surplus. Home prices continue to go up every year, not an indicator of a net "outmigration".

@MAB I totally get it and the shell game happens in a lot of states. The general fund is easy pickings for "pet projects/interests" of politicians.

Scrannel | 30 juni 2020

We could live anywhere. I'll take crazy California.

RES IPSA | 30 juni 2020

Only 2020 models and future models have to pay the extra $100 a year. If you have a 2019 or earlier, you can essentially be a freeloader like me

“ Well do return your “mismanaged” $2,000 state credit for you Tesla.”

Go look at the structural reliance on a tiny percentage of the population to prop up the general fund and get back to me.

It’s horribly mismanaged. Even Jerry Brown recognizes it, and he managed it more than any other person.

Ross1 | 1 juli 2020

It is trucks that kill roads. I read once years ago that one big truck = 50,000 cars in road wear.

MichaelB00012 | 1 juli 2020

@FISHEV - I love that you blame Trumpkins for a lack of economic understanding. I live in IL, land of nothing but Liberal leadership, the most useless state government in the country, and the largest debt of any state in the country. I suppose you'd also blame Trumpkins for the continued mismanagement we receive?

@Anyone complaining about an extra 100 bucks a year in CA: Puh-lease. Put that whine away. Starting January 1st, all IL EV owners started paying 249 a year to register our vehicles, an increase from 35/2 year (482.50/yr increase), and that was the best outcome. One loony moron wanted to charge EV owners 1000 dollars a year to register their EV. The low registration fee was the only benefit IL provided for an EV owner, we get no credits for buying it, no credit for installing a charger, and more frequent trips to get our wheels aligned because our roads look like a mine field.

hokiegir1 | 1 juli 2020

Count yourselves lucky. In GA, the EV fee is about $250 this year. Our senator that pushed the bill forward explained he calculated it using "fuzzy math" (seriously -- his own words) and no one has been able to get it down to a more reasonable/appropriate level that's more in line with the gas tax not being recovered.

Mike83 | 1 juli 2020

If they charged for miles/lbs of vehicle I thing Semis would pay 90% of the damages. It is very flawed and not at all just. Of course we have the fossil fuel addicts who like welfare and shifting responsibility while denying the Climate Crisis they are causing. Guess who runs the government

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 1 juli 2020

If they actually used the funds as intended I wouldn't gripe. Problem is, they don't; they routinely divert money which has been "lock boxed" for road repairs and use it to pay for bike lanes, parks, traintracks, low-income housing, etc. The result is a $130,000,000,000 (yes, that's 130 billion) backlog, per the American Society of Civil Engineers.

https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ASCE...

stevenmaifert | 1 juli 2020

FWIW, the California excise tax on gas rose 3.2 cents per gallon today also, to 50.5 cents a gallon; the highest state gas tax in the nation according to the American Petroleum Institute.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 1 juli 2020

steven,
And it will rise every July 1 henceforth.

FISHEV | 1 juli 2020

MichaelB00012 | July 1, 2020 “I love that you blame Trumpkins for a lack of economic understanding. I live in IL, land of nothing but Liberal leadership”

Well that Illinois has conservative Democrats in office is a whole separate issue but this is specific to CA and and charging EV’s $100 on registration while providing $2,000 credit for purchase and the anti-gummint Trumpkins pissing and moaning about it with no perspective on the trade offs required to run state government larger than most countries with a diverse population. The legislators who voted for the $2k ask that EV’s pay an extra $100 so they can say EV’ers pay their part to the anti-gummint Trumpers who complain about any EV incentives.

Pay $100, get $2000 back.

stevenmaifert | 1 juli 2020

@M-A-B-MCMLXXX - Yup, and that additional Transportation Improvement Fee imposed on all of us by SB1 is also inflation indexed and will go up every year with our registration renewal, as is that $100 (to start) annual vehicle registration fee applicable only to zero-emission vehicles.

JimShaw | 1 juli 2020

Last year I purchased a new model 3 in California, registration $320.00

Today, I paid registration for a used model 3 $420.00

LostInTx | 4 juli 2020

Just received my annual registration fee - $75.50. For a state that supposedly hates Tesla, Texas has yet to figure out how to manifest that hate.

ken.lunde | 4 juli 2020

"Conservative Democrats" does not compute, and I would further argue that such an expression is completely invalid.

stevenmaifert | 5 juli 2020

Back in the day, there were white Southern Democrats, and they were conservative; but they were also racist segregationists so we don't talk about them any more.

rxlawdude | 5 juli 2020

I always laugh at the people who claim California is "mismanaged." These people are the ones who vote for Trump or his sycophantic GOP members that don't have an independent thought in their heads.

If you don't like CA, there are lots of states that you would feel much more comfortable in. Please don't let the border hit you in the ass as you leave.

rxlawdude | 5 juli 2020

@steven, those are GOP members. The "Southern Strategy" moved those racists from the Democratic party to the party of intolerance.... er, the GOP.

Resist | 5 juli 2020

rmg007 - Am I concerned about paying an additional $100 a year? Friggin right I am! When I bought my Model 3 the registration was over $600 and last year it was exactly $600. The State already got people to pay additional taxes for roads which was only supposed to be for 2 years, but then they extended it and passed another tax for roads. The problem is they made loopholes so that money could be used for other things besides roads! You can say EV's aren't paying the gas tax for roads sure but we also aren't polluting our air or dripping oil all over the place. We should be paid to register our EV's in California!

Tronguy | 5 juli 2020

@rxlawdude: I actually remember the shift. The Democrats of the time lined up behind JFK and his attorney general who pushed anti-segregationist policies. But the southern Dixiecrats hated JFK for it. Remember George Wallace? A racist, populist type who was still a nominal Democrat in that day and age.
The Republicans who were, no kidding, at the time still more-or-less aligned as the Party of Lincoln, saw an opening and started blowing racist dog whistles. The first president voted in with the whistle blowing was Nixon.
People noticed at the time; I mean, the voting rights act went in in '65. But there wasn't a whole lot of talk about it in the newspapers.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 5 juli 2020

Recognizing California’s structurally unstable fiscal policy has nothing to do with Trump. Nor does it mean one isn’t comfortable in the state. It’s merely an observation which is demonstrated during economic downturns, during which CA revenues consistently swing down more severely than other states due to the heavy reliance on a few tax filers to prop up spending.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-skelton-bernie-sanders-tax-r...

Incidentally, “Please don't let the border hit you in the ass as you leave” is pretty similar in nature to “ Very simply, you can leave. You can leave right now. Come back if you want, don’t come back, that’s okay too. But if you’re not happy, you can leave.” Guess who said that.

stevenmaifert | 6 juli 2020

rxlawdude - The longest serving senator, West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd was a member of the KKK. Alabama Gov. George Wallace stood in the doorway of that Birmingham school to physically block racial integration. Democrat, 'Bull' Connor, used fire hoses and police dogs to attack civil-rights protesters. Vice President Al Gore's father, then-Sen. Albert Gore Sr., D-Tenn., went so far as to support a lengthy filibuster of the Civil Rights Act. So did noted segregationist Sen. J. William Fulbright, and over 100 Democratic lawmakers voted against it. I must have missed it. When did they all join the GOP?

stevenmaifert | 6 juli 2020

Tronguy - https://www.newsweek.com/fbi-martin-luther-king-jr-surveillence-wiretap-... The Kennedy's approved wiretapping Martin Luther King's phone to get dirt on him and discredit his work. The Democrats were never friends of the Civil Rights Movement but these days they are trying real hard to forget their history and make it sound like they are the party of wokeness when it comes to social justice for the blacks.

rehutton777 | 6 juli 2020

The "Southern Strategy" of Richard Nixon was intended to capitalize on the disaffection of Southern Democrats with ongoing Civil Rights legislation that was pronounced during the Goldwater campaign in 1964. The switchover started in the 1950s, but became stronger in the early 60s. After Johnson's success in getting the Civil Right Bill passed in 1964, the switchover was quick, with Senator Strom Thurmond switching from Democrat to Republican and was followed by others. Nixon devised the "Southern Strategy" to get disaffected Democrats to switch to the Republican party in part by forsaking support of the civil rights. So, to answer your question, the best answer is most of the switch occurred from 1960 to 1970.

ODWms | 8 juli 2020

“The switch” is a lie continuing to be perpetrated upon black folks to keep them “on the plantation,“ and beholden to the democrat party that uses them to this day for nothing more than votes. There was an extremely small percentage of folks that switched parties. It remains a lie. Dems still use that tiny number to misinform and keep the lie going to this day. If you look at the negatives against blacks to this day, 90% have been perpetrated by Dems. 90% of the positives are from Republicans.

lauraarual92 | 8 juli 2020

How much are you usually paying for charging? I live in NC and I'm looking to see what costs there are after having the car. Also if there's anyone on here interested in donating to a teacher looking for a way to afford a Tesla it would be exciting! gf.me/u/yfn3zc

geedub1023 | 8 juli 2020

Flagged

rxlawdude | 8 juli 2020

@steven, your memory and statement is selective and cherry-picked. Anyone with half a brain recognizes that the CITIZEN Democrats in the South left the party in droves. The reason is racism. You deny this?