Forums

5.1 Surround Sound MP4/AAC test files via USB (links here)

5.1 Surround Sound MP4/AAC test files via USB (links here)

Hi all. Reserved my Model 3. Here are some links for 5.1 surround sound in MP4 AAC format at 320kbps and other formats just in case. Let me know which ones work - I will try to get to a Tesla show room sooner than later to test these myself. archive.org/details/@sir_round

Captain_Zap | 9 april 2016

5.1 surround does not work in the Model S.

ir | 9 april 2016

The premium surround sound uses matrix stereo -> surround emulation (eg. Pro Logic). AFAIK, there isn't any way to feed real independent 5.1 audio into the Tesla audio system. For that reason, I skipped the premium sound option.

Looks like they've dropped the surround sound claim from the marketing materials.

telestory99 | 9 april 2016

Good to know...is there any way to install other apps on the dashboard that would play 5.1 like VLC or MXPlayer or??

kenbefound | 15 april 2016

I would very much like to see a CD player in the Model 3, or even better a DVD option like in the Audi's.

yongliangzhu68 | 15 april 2016

I'm hoping for 8-track.

Red Sage ca us | 15 april 2016

Reel-to-Reel for the WIN!

TeslaTap.com | 15 april 2016

Please - I have a vintage 45 record library and want an in-car record player. Everyone I know needs this too and will not consider any car without it.

brian | 15 april 2016

I want a VHS player!

brian | 15 april 2016

... and also super 8mm player.

Red Sage ca us | 15 april 2016

45s...? HA! 78s!

skwok | 15 april 2016

Hey Brian... what about betamax? :-)

PaceyWhitter | 15 april 2016

Beta was better quality than vhs. There is no accounting for taste.

yongliangzhu68 | 16 april 2016

@TeslaTap.com: There was actually a record standard called Highway Hi-Fi made in the mid 50's for the car. I was going to post this in my original sarcastic post but could not post the Wikipedia link. Here is the link:

https://en dot wikipedia dot org/wiki/Highway_Hi-Fi

TeslaTap.com | 16 april 2016

wj - I should have included a picture!

Don't know about a 78 car player. Definitely before my time (actually so was the 45 player)!

Perhaps in 10 years we'll all be thinking USB drives are such old technology with our 3D holographic laser players!

yongliangzhu68 | 16 april 2016

@TeslaTap.com, that is it and looks like what I use in my car. Tesla is a little behind but I bet they start offering them in the next couple of years. :)

Also USB drives are quickly become 'old school' too and not because of any holographic laser players. It is because of connectivity. Almost all the music in the world (and any other data/info for that matter) can be streamed/downloaded anytime and anywhere now. So why worry with any physical media of any kind?