Forums

6-seat model owners? (especially in the Chicagoland area)

6-seat model owners? (especially in the Chicagoland area)

I'm in my one-week decision period right now; and having *just* finally test-driven the X out at the Oakbrook location, I'm more than a little bothered by the rear-visibility with the middle seat. I'm thinking of switching from the 5-seat to the 6-seat, to dispense with the middle-seat ... but I *really* want to see it in person, badly.

Is there any chance anybody in the area has taken delivery of a 6-seat model? If you'd let me come by and poke around inside briefly sometime this week, I'd be happy to trade a bottle of nice scotch (or my eternal gratitude) for the honor ...

If nothing else, perhaps if any of you on these forums have some detailed photos of the 6-seat model's interior, that'd at least be something. (I have dogs, and often carry weirdly-shaped and/or large loads of things in my cars ... space is important to me, and I'm really hoping that the 6-seat model feels like it's very roomy, and hopefully doesn't come off as *too* “van-y” ...)

kslavik | 19 april 2016

There is a demo X at SC (1200 Old Skokie Valley Road, Highland Park) - It is a 6 seater - just give them a call to schedule a test drive - I just took a test drive in in last Sunday

Remnant | 19 april 2016

@ ELLIOTTCABLE (April 19, 2016)

<< I'm more than a little bothered by the rear-visibility with the middle seat. I'm thinking of switching from the 5-seat to the 6-seat, to dispense with the middle-seat ... but I *really* want to see it in person, badly. >>

The rearview cameras (the extant backup one plus the expected pair of side cameras) will neatly dispose of the problem. You could then order either the 5 or the 7 seat option without impairing your MX rear visibility.

Although Tesla has not announced its plans in this regard, we know the 2-year phase-in of the rearview camera requirement starts on 5/1/2016, which is only 11 days from now.

I would suspect that Tesla will start producing mirrorless MX and MΞ (and probably MX retrofit kits also) as of that date or soon thereafter.

vperl | 19 april 2016

Yep, expect all July deliveries to have video mirrors.

mercc3650 | 19 april 2016

Get 6 seats, it is the most practical and has more room than any other of the seat configurations in my opinion.

inyoungcho0 | 21 april 2016

I am wondering for 5 seats, can you put your skis on the floor?
I configured for 5 seats then changed to 7 seats, and wondering I should not have.

Ankit Mishra | 21 april 2016

@Elliot
Post this on TMC too. You will have a better chance then.

Triggerplz | 21 april 2016

@ OP and you can also bring that leather Car Bra and see first hand how fabulous It will look on the front of a 6 seater MX..

aesculus | 21 april 2016

I am wondering for 5 seats, can you put your skis on the floor?
I configured for 5 seats then changed to 7 seats, and wondering I should not have.

Makes no difference between 5 and 7 for skis. Unless they are short they are not going to fit. You would need the 6 seater to put skis inside the car.

jwh8000 | 22 april 2016

I ordered a six seater due for Late April early May, probably won't see it until June. I have never sat in let alone driven an X. But I'm over six feet so shouldn't be a problem for me. That's what the make mirrors for.