Forums

***Update They fixed my X*** Frustrated How do I contact a Regional Manager

***Update They fixed my X*** Frustrated How do I contact a Regional Manager

I have had my X for less than 60 days 21 of those days my X has been in the service center. In the first 24 hours of ownership my brakes failed and my passenger door wouldn't open (should have been my first clue that something not right). It has been non stop from there. I'm still looking at 7+ more days when more parts arrive. Some of the repairs have been installed improperly making more problems it's like I spent $120,000 for a car that is so poorly built that it requires what feels like non stop repairs. To top it of the tech tells me my seals that are messed up on my X "that's how they are all coming in" and didn't fix them. This is our 3rd tesla and what a painful experience this one has been.

Anyway sorry venting just tired and frustrated.

If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

***Update***

Tesla contacted me today I went to a new SC and the Manager assured me that my X is 100% fixable, they gave me a loaner, started on it today and he said when they are done if I am not 100% satisfied they will replace it. I don't know of any other company on the planet that would do that (maybe Apple) Thank you Tesla :)

***Fixed***

Well I picked up my X today and they fixed all the major and minor stuff (alignment issues that the other SC said couldn't be fixed etc...) now my X looks like it just came off the production line instead of looking like it was an early build. I am very happy.

Thank you to Tesla Van Nuys, Fernando who is amazing, Raymond and Bridgette. I highly recommend going to see Fernando at Van Nuys if you live in the Los Angeles area.

socalsam | 21 maj 2016

Lemon law. Send it back.

lilbean | 21 maj 2016

Yep, I'm ready to send mine back!!! My driver's side door is beyond repair. What a joke!

lilbean | 21 maj 2016

I've had it for 47 days and it's been at the SC for 15 days and the door is worse than before the first attempt to "repair" it. I want to send it back and I want them to reimburse me for the Opticoat. The interior panel is dented next the windshield. The third row seat replacement isn't even when folded flat. I could go on and on...

lilbean | 21 maj 2016

Omg, I'm cure of my anal retentiveness. I have a $120,00 thrasher car. Woohoo!

Remnant | 22 maj 2016

Yesterday, I test-drove an MX P90DL. Totally responsive, accurate, precise, and "tight". The guide/agent admitted the initial batch of MX had been full of deficiencies, including power train issues and, more specifically, motor tweaks.

It's clear to me that both @cmbarclay & @lilbean received beta-testing cars that should now be swapped for the real things a.s.a.p. I mean, just if Tesla prefers to be honest

This does not mean that I'll just buy anything Tesla will sell. For instance, I still can't stand the absolutely horrific turd of equipment that Tesla placed in the middle of the pano windshield, even as current technology is available to do better. Likewise, I cannot accept that Tesla has humbly accepted the NHTSA nonsensical diktat of having to maintain simultaneous mirror and camera standards, an onerous duty for the Tesla customers and prohibitive of innovation.

Likewise, I cannot accept the Tesla compromises regarding the 2nd row seats, to make them semi-comfortable for longer rides

Gayatrikr | 22 maj 2016

Sorry to hear all ur plight

lilbean | 22 maj 2016

@remnant and gayatrikr: Thank you !!! <3

AlMc | 22 maj 2016

@cmbarclay: You need to escalate your concerns to the home office. Contact either NASales or Ownership. IMO, call first, get the person's email address that you talk with and follow up with an email. The email should 'CC' your local Service Center's service manager.

Sorry to hear about the problems. Can you share you 'digit' part of your VIN?

elguapo | 22 maj 2016

The comment about "drive train" and
Motor adjustments doesn't make sense to me. It's effectively the same drive train as the S and same motors, per Tesla. What would they be tweaking? Also, I've not heard any meaningful drive train issues - see silly when compared to door, window and seal issues.

Sorry you have to deal with all of this. It's clear TM wasn't ready to release the X in quantity and should have waited 6 months or so, but couldn't because it is a public company with quarterly expectations.

elguapo | 22 maj 2016

"Especially" not "see silly". WTF auto correct? Ugh.

cmbarclay | 22 maj 2016

@AIMc, @Remnant, @Gayatrikr , @socalsam Thank you! @AIMc it's 16XX.

cmbarclay | 22 maj 2016

@elguapo thank you!

socalsam | 22 maj 2016

16xx- makes sense. Early cars absolutely sucked from what I can gather. So sorry for your trouble. I hope Tesla makes it right for you. Same for Lilbean. This should not be acceptable for a new car let alone one over 100k.

cmbarclay | 22 maj 2016

@socalsam I have a 2015 S that has amazing build quality but this X should never have made it out of the factory. :(

lilbean | 22 maj 2016

Thanks @socalsam :) How cool would it be to shoot a video of my Model X going over a cliff. That would go so viral! LOL!!!

Redmiata98 | 22 maj 2016

Socalsam is spot on, investigate your state lemon law and then execute if it applies. Hold Tesla accountable for making it right. That is the reason the lemon laws exist. Sometimes a few slip through all of the QC steps. I had my three trips to the SC for my pax door but now it is and hopefully will contnue to work correctly. There were a few other problems that have been solved. I have nothing currently wrong with mine other than the seat recall that will be fixed next week and a squeky windshield wiper that needs to be changed. It took a while (since January) but things are okay now. I hope you are able to remedy your problems or able to invoke the lemon law to get one that works for you! When all is working as it should, it's a GREAT CAR.

lilbean | 22 maj 2016

Thanks redmiata :-) that's cool.

carlk | 22 maj 2016

You can blame Tesla for shipping cars to meet analysts expectation but I would also blame those noises many reservation holders were making that they could not get the car after such long wait. I even had a thread asking Tesla to take as much time as possible to get the right product out but I was pretty much the lone voice here and was accused of being a fanboy. Gratuldations guys you got what you wished for.

carlk | 22 maj 2016

@cmbarclay

What's your SC?

lilbean | 22 maj 2016

@carlk: I never called you a fanboy. Thanks.

socalsam | 22 maj 2016

Take as much time as you want tesla but if you take deposits and give timelines- then live up to your timelines. No one put a gun to teslas head to give a delivery estimates.

To try to absolve tesla of any responsibility of a poor car is laughable. You want to be a billion dollar corporation selling 100k cars- make the damn doors work.

aesculus | 22 maj 2016

Forget the VINs. It would be better to track the manufacture date for these quality issues. Maybe we should start a thread for that? List your manufacture date and if your car has/had major issues or not.

socalsam | 22 maj 2016

Agree manufacturer date is a better gauge for the quality issues. Good point.

TonyInNH | 22 maj 2016

@carlk,
That's because you are a fanboy. You make the most ridculous excuses for Tesla that it's almost laughable. Now it's the fault of the reservation holders who actually expect a car after waiting 2-4 years? This is a business and you've never looked at it that way. Tesla made comittments, took money, and failed to deliver on those comittments. This nonsense is on them and only them. Tesla couldn't care less about 'noises from reservation holders', this was about analysts expectations, which is the only part of your post that was spot on.

Mom2Dancers | 22 maj 2016

@aesculus- Great idea about tracking problems as they relate to production dates. Based on our early VIN and late deliver, I don't think the VINs mean much.

@carlk We never pressured Tesla to get this car to us quickly (despite having our SUV totaled by a wreckless driver last fall), and we would have gladly waited in order to obtain a vehicle that works as promised. In fact, I'd gladly give this back in exchange for a more recently produced one, if those are better quality.

@cmbarklay and @lilbean - Our FL Lemon Laws are:
Lemon Law Eligibility in Florida

In order for your car to be considered a lemon, the following must have occurred within 24 months following the date of delivery (the Lemon Law Rights Period):
The vehicle defect or condition must "substantially impair the use, value, or safety" of the vehicle.
The vehicle must have undergone at least 3 attempts to repair the same issue.
The vehicle must have out of service for repair of the defect for 15 days or more.

You can look up your own state's laws at:
www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

lilbean | 22 maj 2016

Nice! Thanks mom2dancers. Also, I didn't nag, call or email my DS about the car at all. I waited patiently.

socalsam | 22 maj 2016

Doesn't matter if you waited patiently or nagged. There is zero excuse to put some of these cars out. If they needed more time to perfect the car- give back deposits, give realistic timelines when cars would be available so people could decide whether to wait to move on to something else.

By purposely being opaque about true production numbers- they kept people on the hook while they knew they couldn't build the early cars.

lilbean | 22 maj 2016

Totally agree socalsam! They sure knew how to hang on to our money.

gatorjer | 22 maj 2016

Cmbarklay and lilbean- sorry to hear your issues and feel for you both. Hope it all works out and soon. I agree with redmiatta this car is amazing - when it works of course. I have been fortunate but I am sure in many ways have benefitted from the pain you and other earlies have gone through... Hang in there!

aesculus | 22 maj 2016

I think most of us knew the cars were far from perfect. If you go back to the reports of cars delivered in December and January, few were acceptable at all. TM and EM acknowledged such and told us they put plans and practices in place to improve it and give us flawless cars. Then in March we started seeing great cars and we all thought we were out of the woods, but then another set, or even in some cases, the same set of issues reappeared. WTF?

So I don't think it's a question of if Tesla can fix it, or when they will at this point as most of us feel it will happen. But what will be the outcome of those that suffered through all of this? For those with door problems or other glitches, I think it will be fixed to your satisfaction. For those with alignment problems maybe. Depends on how serious the geometry or how poorly the body was made. It may be impossible to fix. In that case I think you are entitled to a new car. You cannot put a square door into a trapezoidal hole. :-)

cmbarclay | 22 maj 2016

@aesculus I guess we will find out.

georgehawley.fl.us | 22 maj 2016

Unfixable=lemon.

Triggerplz | 22 maj 2016

@mom2dancers thanks for posting the lemon law link. I won't get my car until about 2 weeks but it's good to know

elguapo | 22 maj 2016

@Mom2Dancers I'd be particularly interested to know your manufacture date given your low VIN and later delivery.

Mom2Dancers | 22 maj 2016

I'm not sure, but the sticker by the door says 3/16. We configured with options around Jan 2016, I think. We received a notification that it would arrive in mid-February, but then was told that had been sent in error and to expect April delivery. Our SC said they got it week of 4/18, but we didn't get delivery until 4/29 because they had to fix some "issues" before giving it to us. We were told our car came off the line AFTER the 3rd row seat recall, so I don't get the low VIN... who know what kind of system they're using to assign them.

cmbarclay | 22 maj 2016

@elguapo were do you find the production date?

AlMc | 22 maj 2016

You can not blame your customers for the Xs imperfections. Hopefully QC is getting better but many have experienced more QC problems than should be expected for a 2 year delay on the launch.

cmbarclay | 23 maj 2016

@AIMc I think the X's that are coming out of the Factory right now are much better than the early ones like mine.

lilbean | 23 maj 2016

As far nagging goes, I really don't believe that customers were that influential in getting their cars in a timely manner. The company was trying to save face with all the criticism from the media for the numerous delays AND they needed to make their Q1 numbers for their investors. Money is the reason the cars were let loose into the wild, not a bunch of impatient customers. They suffered even more criticism for putting out a product that wasn't ready.

carlk | 23 maj 2016

@TonyInNH

Yes I'm a fanboy if that means I want Tesla to succeed so it can help making the EV transition a reality and in the mean time providing us awesome cars that no one has even thought about. What is your position on that? Do you want Tesla to succeed of fail on those? I pretty much know your answer on that. I have said it before so let me repeat is again Tesla is a small company, about 1~2% the size of those big guys, although it's doing thing no one else dares to tackle. When we put in our reservation 2~4 years ago we should all aware of this that we might never even get the car. The outcome is already much better than people's wildest imagination a few years ago. It's entirely beneficial to us, except those detractors like you, to give Tesla a little time to make things as close to perfect as it could. Like I said people got what the wished for when they received the car sooner because they have pushed Tesla to do so and detractors like you got your inner satisfaction when reliability issues surface but there is a long way to go let's see who will get the last laugh.

aesculus | 23 maj 2016

There was a lot of noise just before the end of the year about getting cars for tax purposes. I know of at least 6 cases where people whined big time to Tesla to get their cars and Tesla did go out of their way to deliver them by the EOY. Having said that all those cars had issues, some big.

And the late March ones (mine included) were to satisfy metrics for TMC and EM. How else can you explain why I jumped from 15,000 to 1500 in the queue. I was the perfect customer at that time to help them with those numbers. :-)

TonyInNH | 23 maj 2016

@carlk,
You got me, let's take a poll as to how many placed orders and even had the slightest idea as to 'never getting their cars'. Everyone's accountable, even Tesla. They have never been forthright about their progress and folks like you smugly say 'its none of your business'. It's people like you that are the problem you believe Tesla shouldn't give any insight as to their progress AND not produce a product until they're ready. Tell me one business, just one, that survives in that manner. They've had four years since the debut of their prototype and still can't produce it in quantity, but let's hear it...

They just need more time

DevGuy | 23 maj 2016

A path that may work for some, find the least busy SC you can get to & make a point to get the Service Mgr to engage your issues directly.

My experience is Tesla is poor on customer communications across the board regrettably, however, we can hope that will change (some very savvy Tesla tech's advised internally the semi older crowd has been lobbying hard for Tesla to continue hiring some auto industry veterans for this very specific reason - knowing how to deal with the buyers of expensive cars & their expectations!).

We have an early build car & a laundry list of issues ourselves. However, by and large ours has been exceptionally enjoyable to drive and we can't imagine not having the car (and we are car people even). Just doing my best to be somewhat patient, and equally persistent to get major items handled quicker & allow lesser items (incl software bugs) to wait until they can be done in batch/bulk to reduce visits & increase enjoyment.

Good luck!

cmbarclay | 23 maj 2016

***Update***

Tesla contacted me today I went to a new SC and the Manager assured me that my X is 100% fixable, they gave me a loaner, started on it today and he said when they are done if I am not 100% satisfied they will replace it. I don't know of any other company on the planet that would do that (maybe Apple) Thank you Tesla :)

socalsam | 23 maj 2016

Congrats! Good news and good for tesla for stepping up!

elguapo | 23 maj 2016

@cmbarclay First, that is awesome news. So glad that it should come to a good resolution.

Production date info is where they put the info for tire pressure on frame of car, driver's side, near bottom.

cmbarclay | 23 maj 2016

@elguapo I will look when I get my X back :) Thank you for the info.

lilbean | 23 maj 2016

When you say replace it, do you mean replace the car?

carlk | 23 maj 2016

Congrats. I knew it will be a happy ending for you. Hope @lilbean and @Mom2Dancers will have the same good thing happens to them.

Pages