Forums

Any tall drivers out there?

Any tall drivers out there?

While I am patiently waiting for my VIN, I have been reading on the sweden forum that tall drivers, 6 foot 4 or taller, have trouble finding a comfortable driving position. The video from Bjorn Nyland also raised some doubts.

Any experiences here on the forum from tall MX owners?

lilbean | 5 juni 2016

This doesn't surprise me. I'm short and it's perfect for me.

socalsam | 5 juni 2016

Nonsense. I'm 6-4" and the car is perfect. No issues here.

lilbean | 5 juni 2016

That's great socalsam :)

sp_tesla | 5 juni 2016

Many different seating variations, depending on proportion of your legs length to upper body

Triggerplz | 5 juni 2016

I'm 6'4 and I don't have my drivers seat all the way back and it's very comfortable .. I'm also comfortable in the second but that second row seat has to be all the way. I have the 6 seater so I can't speak on the second row middle seat. The third row is a completely differant story, I won't be sitting back there, it's for kids

Triggerplz | 5 juni 2016

Second row seat has to be all the way "BACK"

georgehawley.fl.us | 5 juni 2016

As stated above, there are many adjustments for the seat, the seat belt height, and the steering wheel. Don't worry. I am 6'1" tall (1.85 m.) and I sit tall. The driver's seat is very comfortable. The benefit of sitting tall is that the top of the second row center seat, if you have one, is less of an obstacle for the rear view mirror because you can see over the top of it. The X is much easier for a tall person to get in and out than the S.

I would discount Bjørn's observations because he is relatively short and Norwegian. :-))

marc | 5 juni 2016

I'm 6' 5" and immediately after test driving the Model X, I ordered one - DS says it should move into production mid this month. I was able to find a comfortable driving positing with all the seat adjustments available for the MS driver. I even sat in the middle row while my wife was driving - she's 6' 3 1/2" - and it was very comfortable, after I managed to shoe-horn my body into the seat. BTW, I tried to get into the MS and had to contort my body in order to get into the driver's seat. I didn't have to do that with the MX.

marc | 5 juni 2016

Wow! I should have read my immediately preceding message more closely. Here's what I should have written, with corrections....

I'm 6' 5" and immediately after test driving the Model X, I ordered one - DS says it should move into production mid this month. I was able to find a comfortable driving position with all the seat adjustments available for the MX driver. I even sat in the middle row while my wife was driving - she's 6' 3 1/2" - and it was very comfortable, after I managed to shoe-horn my body into the seat. BTW, I tried first to get into a MS and had to contort my body in order to get though the door and into the driver's seat. I didn't have to do that with the MX.

aesculus | 5 juni 2016

I was 6' 4" at some point in my life. The legs are still certainly 36" inseams. Much more comfortable car than I have ever had or driven in, but my scope is fairly limited as we don't buy new cars/suv/trucks very often.

Another thing that is important to me is the ability to see laterally as well as front and frontal blindspots. The Model X is stellar here and my ability to adjust my comfort within the seat is great too. Love this car from a comfort perspective.

loganboyd | 5 juni 2016

I'm 6'5" and I've driven an X without any issues and I'll have mine on Thursday to know for sure. I've also never had a problem in any car I've ever owned. Maybe if I was 6'7" - 6'9" or taller but up to 6'5" should be plenty of room.

kraig | 5 juni 2016

Ok, I'm only 6'2" but I weigh 275, and my X is one confortable beauty. Fits me top and sideways nicely. I especially appreciate getting in and out because the ceiling is high enough that I don't bumb my head.

serge | 5 juni 2016

Thank you all for the reassuring answers. Europe has not received any MX yet, so your input is super valuable.

bak_phy | 6 juni 2016

I'm 6' 4" and I just test drove one on Saturday. The drivers seat was very comfortable with minimal adjustments needed. I was fine in the second row as well with the seat all the way back and somewhat ok in the 3rd row with 2nd row seat all the way forward but no way will 7 of me fit in there! The car I tested was a 6 seater but it was clear that I would hit my head if it was a 7 seater and i sat in the middle seat in middle row.
But.... The drivers seat was great and the large windshield is no doubt a great boon for tall drivers who no longer need to crouch down to see traffic lights.

Blue X | 6 juni 2016

6’ 3” 210lbs.....perfect vehicle and for first time don’t have to bend my head to see stoplights......no issues, don’t worry

Mom2Dancers | 6 juni 2016

@Blue X- good point... That windshield will be awesome for tall people and close stoplights!!!

MicTheCat | 6 juni 2016

My brother and i am both 6'1. We was in a US democar in Copenhagen and my brother immediately said. The 3. row is better than the 2. row in my model S. Figure that. We will be transporting grandparents in 3. row on vacations. They kind of shrink at old ages;-)

aesculus | 6 juni 2016

They kind of shrink at old ages

But they get wiser and sneakier. :-)

MicTheCat | 6 juni 2016

And jump into the drivers seat LOL

lilbean | 6 juni 2016

When I adjust the seat for a taller person, the headrest moves down and when I adjust the seat for a shorter person, the headrest moves up. Shouldn't the headrest move down for a shorter person and up for the taller person? Has anybody noticed this in their car?

georgehawley.fl.us | 6 juni 2016

@serge: I would fly you over so you could take a test drive but I spent all my money on the X...😢

aesculus | 6 juni 2016

@lilbean: I think it only responds to the forward and backward position but don't know for sure. Perhaps it also does something when you put it up and down too?

cconway | 6 juni 2016

I'm 6'8" and have had my 90D for about a month. The headroom is great, but if you move the seat too far back it drops off quickly, so I actually drive with the seat well forward from the maximum it will go back, otherwise I can feel the hair on the top of my head hitting that spot where the windshield ends, which is annoying, But, it works well enough for me...a bit of an improvement from my 2013 LEAF, but not as much as I had hoped.

lilbean | 6 juni 2016

@aesculus: Thanks. It is strange. I tried passing a tissue to the kids behind me and I noticed my headrest was nearly touching the top of the car. I couldn't fit my hand over the headrest. Seems silly since I'm so short.

aesculus | 7 juni 2016

I also think there are some improvements coming on the auto headrest algorithms. It does not seem to be consistent in my car hence my question on length and height adjustment.