Forums

Norway to ban fossil fuel cars by 2025

Norway to ban fossil fuel cars by 2025

Norway will ban the sale of all fossil fuel-based cars in the next decade, continuing its trend towards becoming one of the most ecologically progressive countries on the planet, according to reports.

Politicians from both sides of the political spectrum have reportedly reached some concrete conclusions about 100 per cent of Norwegian cars running on green energy by 2025.

According to Norwegian newspaper Dagens Naeringsliv, "FRP will remove all gasoline cars", a headline which makes reference to the populist right-wing Framstegspartiet, or Progress Party.

Speaking about the possible 2025 ban on non-electric cars, Elon Musk, chief executive of US electric car company Tesla Motors, lauded the announcement.

"Just heard that Norway will ban new sales of fuel cars in 2025," he wrote.

"What an amazingly awesome country. You guys rock!!".

stevenmaifert | 30 juli 2016

When Norway stops exporting their North Sea crude oil and gas for the rest of the world to pollute with, we can genuinely say Hooray for Norway. Until then, everything they do at home to promote environmental goodness is a bit hypocritical in my view.

EaglesPDX | 30 juli 2016

Norwegian oil and natural gas replace coal which cuts emissions by 30%. That helps finance a sustainable home economy while reducing world wide green house gases, sounds like a win-win,

FREE ENERGY | 30 juli 2016

Like Canada, India, China and Netherland, and now Norway, anyone else to follow ?

bb0tin | 30 juli 2016

@stevenmaifert
Norway is going to stop their oil extraction, just as pretty much everyone else will.
Would you prefer that they go bankrupt now instead? What would that achieve?

bj | 30 juli 2016

One-third of new car sales in Norway are already BEV or PHEV (although only 3% of the total carfleet is such). I think it is possible that they will reach their target before 2025 just through consumer preference, although PHEVs would not be permitted under the ban (vehicle must be zero emission, not just low emission) so that will make the job a bit harder.

Tiebreaker | 31 juli 2016

We still need oil for pharma, materials, rocket fuel... for a while..

stevenmaifert | 31 juli 2016

@bb0tin - Dream on.

bb0tin | 31 juli 2016

@stevenmaifert
I will dream on, not least because I do not like the nightmare alternative

Archesfarm | 1 august 2016

@bj. Consumer preference is driven by the fact that there's an absolutely extortionate tax on cars with a (much) less extortionate but still vast tax on electric cars.