Forums

Auto lights and wipers

Auto lights and wipers

With self driving capability is there any chance of M3 automation of the lights and wipers to eliminate all those unneeded switches? What is expected IiHS rating for headlights on M3?

Red Sage ca us | 25 oktober 2016

The IIHS does not test, rate, or rank vehicles from Tesla Motors at all. The NHTSA gives the Model S top ranks in all categories measured. The Model S and Model X both feature autosensing wipers and automatic headlights.

akgolf | 25 oktober 2016

Automatic headlights are listed as a standard feature on this page https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

At the top of the page it also references the Model 3 and at the bottom it lists a few standard features.

dsvick | 25 oktober 2016

@jsimpsonalaska - "Automatic headlights are listed as a standard feature on this page "

I might have missed it but I only see auto high beams, not auto headlights, meaning it will switch from low to high and back again as needed. With that being said though, I'd be surprised if auto headlights weren't standard on the M3. The wipers I'm not sure about ...

akgolf | 25 oktober 2016

My bad I didn't even think of auto on/off as an option. It's pretty common on almost all cars.

dsvick | 25 oktober 2016

@jsimpsonalaska - "I didn't even think of auto on/off as an option. It's pretty common on almost all cars"

Except my wife's jeep that I end up driving for several minutes all the time before I remember to turn on the headlights...

KP in NPT | 25 oktober 2016

are they standard on the S/X? I have them but I have autopilot. If so, it's possible they will be part of the autopilot package. That said, tesla has been known to include things in newer versions of cars that were additional previously.

Part of ease of manufacturing is having the same stalks on all cars. So for that reason I could see either or both being standard. But they have made no announcements.

andy.connor.e | 25 oktober 2016

I understand getting rid of buttons or switches, but i prefer not to have everything in my car "auto".

tedirelan | 25 oktober 2016

My bet is that there will be an option on the horizontal screen to tur them off completely.

tedirelan | 25 oktober 2016

Turn, not "tur". "Tur" does sound cool though. As in "'tur' rite her, and then go straight" (southerners know what I'm talking about). Lol

Red Sage ca us | 25 oktober 2016

'...den go skrake!'

andy.connor.e | 26 oktober 2016

just Axe the computer a question

Haggy | 31 oktober 2016

They are standard with the X and S with or without autopilot. Auto high beams is an additional feature. It can't put on the high beams automatically without also putting on the low beams automatically.

The Model X and S don't even have a headlight switch, so there would be no practical way not to have it be automatic. You can go to the center display, press the button for the menu, and find a menu item to turn the lights on or off manually, but that wouldn't be practical. It's cheaper for Tesla to make it automatic than to add a switch.