Forums

Importing Tesla to Israel

Importing Tesla to Israel

Hi!

I will start with a question:

Has any body managed to import a Tesla to Israel?

If you did, I will be grateful if will give me a call (+972-54-7766466) or reply to this post.

Well, I do have Tesla (our dog...), but I would really like to complement it with the real one...

Now seriously, I really don't understand why Tesla is not sold in Israel, especially when I see that it is being sold in markets with weaker business cases.

Tesla was extra successful in two areas, Norway and in Silicon valley. I claim that Israel is a market that combine traits from both.

In Norway, like in Israel, the car price is set by the government as much as it is set by Tesla. In Israel, the tax on gas cars is 83%+(17% VAT) whereas on EVs the tax is 8%+(17% VAT), This means that the relative price of a Tesla vs. the competition is about half.

Like in Silicon Valley, in Israel there is a quite large (and growing) population of Hi-tech people who have made it... They want and can afford to own a Tesla. I am one of them..., and I have more than few friends which would consider one as well.

Furthermore, the infrastructure investment in Israel (in terms of supercharges) is really small. Israel is tiny (smaller than NJ). Even if there is not a single supercharger in Israel, Tesla is completely practical. With 3 supercharges, Israel is fully covered.

I really fail to understand Tesla market selection logic. To my knowledge, Tesla started operations in Jordan which has economy with income per capita that is about 8 times lower than Israel (4680$ in Jordan vs 35,770$ in Israel).

I have a friend who is very knowledgable in Israel premium cars market (used to be in this business), and he thinks that Tesla will be able to sell more than 200 cars per year (Israel population is about the same as in Jordan). All I can hope is that the decisions are purely based on business rational.

I will appreciate some input from Tesla regarding this.

Thanks,
Yuval Rakavy

Haggy | 14 marts 2017

Sounds reasonable to me, but Tesla doesn't answer questions here. I'm surprised it never came up in all the years Tesla was working with MobilEye. I suppose it probably did, and Tesla didn't have a business case for it at the time.

I don't think it's income per capita as much as total sales for a region. There would be startup costs and since there's nothing else in the region, it's harder to get established. Also there are regulations to be met for each new country Tesla sells in. But I can't speak for Tesla and neither can anybody here.

MHarel | 15 marts 2017

It seems that there's what Tesla does publicly and then there's everything else. Jordan isn't seen on any maps and yet has superchargers, a growing fleet.and, by independent accounts, Tesla service personnel. It's been reported that Tesla was here, ready to launch, then didn't. There's always more to a story and more than a few hedge funds that lost tens of millions when TSLA surged following Q1 2013 results questioning Tesla's actions Stateside and in foreign markets. As for Israel, there have been dozens of import attempts; a 100+ it wouldn't surprise. The MOT has stated special guidance for Tesla that has effectively blocked any import until Tesla steps up. The market is far greater than 200 annually. It is a shame and defies business rational. Note that Tesla split with Mobileye and Solaredge.

High Plains Drifter | 16 marts 2017

Size of market is too small to be considered.

Haggy | 17 marts 2017

That's a bit like saying that New Jersey is too small a market to be considered. It misses the point. NJ is viable because Tesla is in surrounding areas. Tesla even sells in Hawaii, which isn't near anything else. Going out of the US means establishing a presence in the region and having regulators that are friendly to your business.

Watt fun | 17 marts 2017

Geopolitical concerns come to mind as to why not...at least not yet. Establishing in Jordon made sense as a test case. Small, middle-eastern, stable, and Arabic with an English language background too; good to establish service, repairs, and followup in Arabic and getting good at it. Moving to the Gulf States is the sensible next step; small, wealthy, and re-imaging themselves very quickly to a post Mid-East and post petro-state future. Then eventually Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. S.A. Is a tougher nut to crack logistically, even though S.A. wants to one of the ones in the vanguard for moving away from oil dependency. Perhaps after that Morocco which has a nascent desire to go green and renewable with solar PV because it doesn't have a huge tie up to petrochemicals and fossil fuels. It would make sense that Morocco would be a base to push east around the Mediterranean as well for not just Tesla. However, I tend to think that Israel will at best be an unofficial market, for used Teslas, for a while. It's such a very natural market for EVs in so many ways but it just won't be 'next year in Jerusalem' at least for Tesla.

trx430ex | 17 marts 2017

I would have to concur on the geopolitics risk/reward, US give's 3 billion in aid to Israel Per year, Israeli company wants to sell to China for 160 mill. Then there is a pad fire on the cape that locks bureaucracy in Apollo time standards US time. Risk/reward on Israel is very deep in the red column right now, but then again this is just a voice from the markets with weaker business cases.

jacobp | 2 april 2017

@trx430ex. Just to be clear, Israel is required to spend 75% of the "aid" given by the US to purchase US made defense and other materiel. It is not a gift. In fact, under the new MOU that goes into effect next year, Israel will eventually be required to spend 100% of the aid it receives in purchasing US items.

Bighorn | 2 april 2017

I suspect Jordan was a special case with the encouragement of the Husseins.

trx430ex | 2 april 2017

@jacobp, I hear you,, but then again, who on the planet has better gear? To spend free money on. However if Israel develops better tech that has to be knocked off the top of a rocket on domestic soil because a fair deal can't be made. I will sit in the pew right next to you.
Actually it is a gift, I have always applauded the adage, if you don't want to be somebody's bitch,,, don't take their check.

lar_lef | 2 april 2017

A few years back a US Air Force official said what the US got from Israel intelligence about US enemies worth more than what Israel received in aid from the US.

SCCRENDO | 3 april 2017

Visiting Israel now. The roads are too narrow and parking too small here for the Tesla Model S and X. The Model 3 may just make it. I am renting a small Mazda and it is tricky through the streets of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Mostly condos and small homes so most charging would need to be public. "A better place" tried a battery swap strategy with an electric Renault which was a failure. Although that may have been more reflective of the entrepreneur.

tesla-orlando | 4 maj 2017

@SCCRENDO
There is not much difference between Israeli roads and UK or Italia roads.
Actually i would suggest they are slightly wider.
Cars in Europe in general are very small probably smaller then Israel on Average, besides Germany of course.

I agree with @Bighorn, I am not sure if Jordan is a "real market" for Tesla and i am not sure what is behind that move.
clearly Kuwait, Katar, Bahrain and even Saudi Arabia are much more economical choices than Jordan.

Unfortunately I have to agree with @Watt fun although i think it is a shame.

On the other hand i don't agree with @trx430ex about the reasons, I don't see any relevance to the 3 billion dollars Israel gets in Military credit or a company who wants to sell to china for 160 mil?!
By the way, just so you know Jordan receives 1 billion per year and Egypt 1.5 billion!

@yuval, I was very curious myself about Tesla in Israel and private import.
just to put in prospective, Singapore has Tesla presence although car sales there in 2016 were around 87000.
In Israel it as 290000!
In Israel there are 383 cars per 1000, in Jordan 166 and in Singapore 149.

and add to that what you mentioned about taxes, the cost of an ICE vehicle in Israel is x 2.5 more expensive than US.
but Pure electric is expected to be only x 1.5.

By the way, just heard today about a German company who is going to import Tesla for private buyers as early as this June.
Link in Hebrew: https://www.calcalist.co.il/internet/articles/0,7340,L-3712460,00.html

oleg.gerber | 12 juli 2017

Join this petition to Bring Tesla to Israel: ,just google for "Bring Tesla to Israel"

luv2div3 | 31 juli 2017

A few years ago, my dad purchased a Tesla, and I asked if they sell to Israel. The sales person said they will ship them anywhere. You probably just need to go to a store (not in Israel) and order one. The issues, however, is that service will be very difficult, if not impossible, and the only place to charge will be where you install a charger(s).

lar_lef | 31 juli 2017

Now that the Model 3 is up and running, chances for it to be imported to Israel because is less expensive would seem to be good. Have to have chargers, though.

itayshen | 2 juni 2018

Hi Guys,
Do you have any news about Tesla coming to Israel?
It as been a while now..

EVRider | 3 juni 2018

@itayshen: You’ll have to ask Tesla. We don’t know.

Tesla2018 | 3 juni 2018

Didnt some guy bring a model 3 to Europe and have trouble with charging it since they have s different electrical system and Tesla said they dont offer support.
Does Israel use the same type of voltage and plugs as other countries in Europe? Or do non EU countries each have their own standard?

SCCRENDO | 3 juni 2018

@tesla2018. Electricity is electricity. And indeed Israel has it. When Tesla comes to Israel i would bet that Elon would know what to do. There is a big wide world out there. And it seems you don’t get out much

Tesla2018 | 3 juni 2018

Sccrendo. Thats like saying water is water. Some is salt, some is fresh, some is ice, etc.
Not every country uses the same voltage or plug. A Tesla in the US has different connectors than one in Europe and they are not compatible.
The question was has anyone imported a Tesla into Israel. If they imported one from the US it wouldnt work since the charging systems are different. Maybe one from Europe would work but I am not the great world traveler like you so I dont. Even you should know that you need converters if you want to use a 120 volt 2 blade prong on an appliance overseas or are you afraid to plug a lightbulb in since it will cause global warming and we will all die:) Arent you tired of swimming around the world or did you actually burn some jet fuel and fly somewhere.

You are right. Im sure they can figure a way to make it compatable with what others countries use if it is a non standard, country specific plug or voltage but thats what the person asked.
I dont get out much since I only want to stay in America and not go to other countries. Just tonight, my friend asked me if I wanted to go to Israel with her next year and I said no thanks, dont feel like being on the lookout for incoming missiles Another friend owns a few companies in Haiti but his family almost got killed in a revolution and he has hire the army to take investors from around the world to his factories. I will just sit in my lawn chair by the pool whe it is safe and fend off the attacks from you on the internet instead.
But seriously, have a good trip and stay safe.

wisam.alrawi | 3 juni 2018

So just to pitch in, I speak Arabic, and I just found out accidentally through the Tesla Supercharger page that they have a presence in Jordan, aside from UAE (United Arab Emirates). That came as surprise for me. I agree on the limited income per capita part vs other gulf states in the region. I read the comments above. I can agree that it's a move to establish themselves in the region and possibly expand to Egypt, Israel and such. I think Israel is a smaller market compared, again to the other gulf states.
1. I would encourage Tesla to think about Qatar, Kuwait, and KSA (Saudi Arabia) for expansion as people from KSA travel to UAE and Supercharger network is needed.
2. There is a huge lack of understanding of how electric cars work and Tesla in general in the Arabic population. I was just checking the only two reviews for Tesla on YouTube and it's stunning how people think of electric cars and Tesla. The comments were even worse. Definitely Tesla needs to up the game to educate the Middle East about electric cars and how they work.

Back to your question, I was thinking why not order from Jordan and import it to Israel? You can charge the car at home and it's not a big distance, probably, to drive Tesla around without a supercharger network? as an interim solution.

Not sure if Tesla can establish a Supercharger network first then set up a store / service center later.

itayshen | 4 juni 2018

@ Tesla2018: Israel as the same elecrticity grid system as does the EU (220 ) and the same plug system, so no problem there..

I do know that there r only few Teslas here for testing some autonomous staff (eg mobile eye and other startups ).

@ wisam.alrawi: i wish ordering from Jordan was an option, the only problem is that there are none Teslas garages.. so if something will break down or for the annual check up i will have to take a road trip to jordan.. :-)
I guess we will have to be more patient..

Joanna18 | 17 oktober 2018

@wisam.alrawi What a great way to help peaceful regional integration work!

I have owned an MS in the US for nearly five years and should have a Model 3 within three weeks and own two Powerwalls. So I am familiar with the product and also spend three months a year in Israel, and have looked at this issue there. Apparently, it is all political in Israel, with car retailers here using politics to protect their turf from the Tesla disrupter, which, with the lower import taxes in Israel for electric cars, would make Tesla very competitive price-wise. This is not just Israeli slimy politics — Tesla’s cannot be sold in 14 of the 50 states in the US for the same reason (including otherwise “green” liberal places like Connecticut). Three super chargers would cover all of israel, but you could start israel up with just street and home chargers — it isn’t a big country and with the M3 stayed range over 300 miles (and it hardly ever gets cold enough here to degrade battery performance much) , so that superchargers are not a must. Some type 2 municipal chargers in TA, Haifa, somewhere in the Galilee, Jerusalem, Ashkelon, Beersheba and Eilat, and you are fine.

This is a progressive, technologically advanced, relatively wealthy society that is buying lots of cars each year, and Tesla would clean up. Knowing Israeli psychology, the one way to get it here is to mock shame Israel for technological and environmental backwardness in barring the country to tesla. If Elon just addressed a tweet to the president and PM in Israel, asking why the country that made so much sense for the Better Place electric car company won’t allow Tesla to come here, the press here would go crazy about it and the politicians would fold.

It’s all in Elon’s hands — and this is one of the few things he could tweet about and not get into trouble with the SEC!

bills | 24 oktober 2018

In Israel as I write this for my yearly month long visit. I miss my Model X every time I come here. It’s crazy that there aren’t more electric cars in Israel. With all the hi tech money and status loving Israels (I say that lovingly) Tesla would do very well especially now that the Model 3 is being cranked out in meaningful numbers.

mandaryogi357 | 25 oktober 2018

@tesla2018. Electricity is electricity. And indeed Israel has it. When Tesla comes to Israel i would bet that Elon would know what to do. There is a big wide world out there. And it seems you don’t get out much https://snaptube.vip/ https://tubemate.vip/ https://test-dpc.com/

bills | 25 oktober 2018

In Israel as I write this for my yearly month long visit. I miss my Model X every time I come here. It’s crazy that there aren’t more electric cars in Israel. With all the hi tech money and status loving Israels (I say that lovingly) Tesla would do very well especially now that the Model 3 is being cranked out in meaningful numbers.

jagga.nair | 27 oktober 2018

Hello friends,,,,,,Do you have any news about Tesla coming to Israel?
It as been a while now..Does Israel use the same type of voltage and plugs as other countries in Europe? Or do non EU countries each have their own standard?.....Mostly condos and small homes so most charging would need to be public. "A better place" tried a battery swap strategy with an electric Renault which was a failure. Although that may have been more reflective of the entrepreneur.

danevito | 18 januar 2019

Shalom. I believe the reason Tesla is not present in Israel is because of laws set in Israel by politicians. Tesla is a rational company that prefers moving fast without obstacles and as free of charge as possible. When I visited Israel I felt the view many had to tourist especially was to milk them on as much money as possible. If the country can't benefit economically directly from Tesla with all the hype that surrounds the company for a few years, then they won't make it easy for them to settle in their country.

arinfrolova1990 | 28 januar 2019

It's been reported that Tesla was here, ready to launch, then didn't. There's always more to a story and more than a few hedge funds that lost tens of millions when TSLA surged following Q1 2013 results questioning Tesla's actions Stateside and in foreign markets. As for Israel, there have been dozens of import attempts; a 100+ it wouldn't surprise. The MOT has stated special guidance for Tesla that has effectively blocked any import until Tesla steps up. The market is far greater than 200 annually. It is a shame and defies business rational. Note that Tesla split with Mobileye and Solaredge.

arinfrolova1990 | 29 januar 2019

Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, thank you very much. https://www.vidmate.software/

guydude | 14 februar 2019

I was recently in Israel. I saw a Model S on my way from Holon to to Tel Aviv. I was shocked to say the least. I'm not sure if this was privately owned or maybe Tesla doing some testing. It's a real shame that Tesla hasn't yer expanded to Israel yet since they are in Europe now.

guydude | 14 februar 2019

Seems like Jaguar is launching the I-pace in Israel. So it's def no the lack of market or infrastructure...

https://www.jaguar.co.il/i-pace-overview

TeslaTap.com | 14 februar 2019

@guydude - Jaguar is selling in many places without any infrastructure. No idea if Israel has any fast charging infrastructure, but I sort of doubt it. Perhaps in a few years.

fredrick | 3 oktober 2019

Nice to see this here and thanks for sharing this to us. Get more about the best apps here. https://techfries.co/snapseed-for-windows-pc/

caroline | 17 oktober 2019

A place for discussion of Israeli life and culture, but most of all for ... new and used vehicles, the cartels that run the fuel imports, the cartels that are in bed ...
see https://igeeksclub.com/snipping-tools-for-mac/