Forums

Battery upgrade cost

Battery upgrade cost

MS 70 to 75 = $500 ($100 per kWh)
MS 60 to 75 = $2000 ($133.33 per kWh)

Why would it be more expensive for MS 60 owners???

I would click 'Buy' if the 60 upgrade was the same price per kWh.

Rocky_H | 30 juni 2017

@p.c.mcavoy, I agree with all of that sales model explanation, which is why I find it flabbergasting what Tesla is doing (or rather not doing) with the 40kwh cars. That $10,000 price has been out there for about 4 years. Everyone who was going to buy it at full price would have done so by now. So they continue to get nothing, because no one is going to pay $10,000 for it at this time. Reducing the price is what they need to do to get _something_ out of it.

But I guess they think that maybe eventually they will get back into Tesla's hands at some point, and they can get their few thousand dollars back by changing it to a 60kwh themselves at that point. Or they are just lazy and don't want to have anyone spend the time to make a decision about it.

redacted | 30 juni 2017

opportunity cost has a second level effect. I know that all movies end up at $5 at some point when purchasing on iTunes, so I rarely buy at more than that. On the other hand, I know that macbooks rarely drop more than 10%, and that's on Black Friday, so I don't mind paying close to list price.

Tesla has now set the cost per kWh at $133 max. Who would pay more, knowing it will drop?

Haggy | 30 juni 2017

The arguments against a cheap 60 upgrade are no stronger than those against a 70-75 or any other upgrade. The argument for it is that they reduced the price of the upgrades for others after the fact so there's nothing unfair about doing it but there is arguably something unfair about not doing it. It's a software change either way and the owner had to do without the capacity for almost five years so it's not as if they are getting a better deal than those who paid for it early on.

The same can be said for supercharging. Most owners got it for free retroactively, so I can't see an argument against giving it to all owners retroactively given that they had no more or less reasonable expectation of the change than anybody else.

I'd go a step further and say that if the 70 to 75 upgrade is $100/kWh, then they should give an even better deal to their original 40 owners and make it perhaps $1500 for an upgrade. They are getting less out of it since there's a bigger chance that their batteries are degraded more.

murraypetera | 1 juli 2017

It they priced it right I would jump on it as I best most 40 owners would. No way at 50% the value of the car.

It they priced it right I would jump on it as I best most 40 owners would. No way at 50% the value of the car.

BarryQ | 1 juli 2017

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Rocky_H | 3 juli 2017

Tell us how you really feel, Murray.

gamgow2 | 20 februar 2018

What about 60 to 90 what is the cost

ckcland2 | 21 februar 2018

@gamgow2, to go from a 60 to a 90 would require an actual battery "swap" or change. I do not believe Tesla currently offers this, but there is at least one aftermarket person doing it - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Model-S-facelift-battery-upgrade-60-60D-7... . Listed at about $11,900. I have no affiliation with this aftermarket option but have been watching it for a while.

leonardovazquez | 25 september 2019

Can one upgrade 70 to 85 ? For model S who do u contact number

Mathew98 | 25 september 2019

It's a resounding no from Tesla.

You might be able to swap it out for a refurbished unit privately via an eBay auction for the service.

jermalmccoy | 3 oktober 2019

For some reason I don’t have the option to upgrade my 2016 60w battery. I’ve searched every where. Any advice?

xpower | 3 oktober 2019

Is yours a facelift car?
Mines not a facelift and it’s a 60 (which means a real 60 battery)
Later facelifts were 60 (with a 75 battery) and therefore upgradeable.

jermalmccoy | 4 oktober 2019

Mine had the face lift.When the storm hit they upgraded it to the 75 but it went back to the 60w last night.

TeslaTap.com | 5 oktober 2019

@jermalmccoy - I'd drop by a service center and ask for the upgrade. I don't know if it is still available, but they would know for sure and be able to do it. I don't think an appointment would be needed, but you can make an appointment if you don't have a service center nearby. They may even do the upgrade remotely.

Pages