Forums

FleetCarma's SmartCharge New York - Too good to be true?

FleetCarma's SmartCharge New York - Too good to be true?

I am sure some of you know about this already although I could not find any threads on it. I pasted some of the material on this program below. It requires plugging their device into a port accessible above the center small open storage compartment. It seems innocuous enough and I can certainly charge only during the specified times. If anyone can think of reasons not to install it please let us know.

Thanks.

NEW YORK – Owners of electric vehicles in New York City and Westchester County can earn e-gift card rewards and get valuable information about their charging habits by participating in a new Con Edison program.

Con Edison and FleetCarma, a company that specializes in electric vehicle technology solutions, are seeking participants for a program called SmartCharge New York that will pay EV owners to charge their vehicles at times when demand for power is not highest.

Here’s how the program will work: Each participant will get a free cellular-enabled, FleetCarma C2 connected device that plugs into the on-board diagnostic port or connector of the vehicle and collects charging and driving data. Drivers will be able to see their information via the online portal.

Just for enrolling in the program an EV owner will earn $50 in SmartCharge Rewards. The owner will then get $5 in rewards in each month that they charge in the Con Edison service territory.

An EV owner will earn 5 cents in rewards for each kilowatt hour of charging during off-peak hours. Off-peak hours are from midnight to 8 a.m.

From June to September, an EV owner may earn an additional $20 a month for not charging between 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays.

murphyS90D | 18 april 2017

If it plugs into the OBD II connector, above the driver's left foot, it will get power but no data since there is none there. If it plugs into Tesla's diagnostic jack, which is hidden behind the "cubby", Tesla may not be very happy about that and it might open the car up to hacking.

TeslaTap.com | 18 april 2017

Actually the OBB-II connector does have some data - CAN bus 1 (very limited data), CAN bus 6 - Chassis, and the K/Ser LIN bus (not important) is available. All the data is undocumented, so only reverse engineering can figure out the data. I'm not aware of Tesla providing any details outside the company. Hopefully, any dongle like this works in the silent read-only mode.

My own CAN bus data analysis shows the most useful charging information resides on can bus 3, which is not at the OBD-II connection. There is still so much still undocumented, that perhaps the information needed is available on one of the two CAN bus ports on the OBD-II connector.

OBB -> OBD

@TeslaTap.com

My OBD scanner, OBDLink MX Bluetooth, has never found anything on my Tesla OBD II jack. It has all 16 pins so it should be able to find something.

I have used it in My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi to turn the DRLs on, which my Ford dealer refused to do. In 2013 only cars ordered on a fleet order had DRLs enabled.

matthew.joseph | 18 april 2017

From the terms and conditions. It appears that it does pull a lot of data. I just called my SC. They are concerned and want to look into it and perhaps have me call California.

Data Collected by the C2 Device and Privacy

In order to conduct the Program and to provide participants with the products and services outlined in this agreement and appropriate customer service, and to enhance and improve these products and services, FleetCarma will collect certain information through the C2 Device. A C2 Device installed in an EV will record when the Device is plugged into, and unplugged from, the EV and it will also collect the following information:

(a) About your EV – VIN or Vehicle Identification Number, and EV make, model and model year;

(b) About your driving – drive start date and time, duration of trip, trip distance, EV state of charge at start of drive, EV state of charge at end of drive, electricity consumed during drive, liquid fuel consumed during drive (if EV is a hybrid vehicle), % idling, % hard acceleration, % hard braking, electric miles fraction (if EV is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, the % of miles the car ran on electric), ambient temperature, average auxiliary load during trip;

(c) About your charging patterns – for each charging session (for which a session number will be assigned) – start date and time, duration of charging session, charging power level (kW), total charging energy (total electricity consumed in kWh), 15-minute interval charging energy (kwh) charging loss (electricity lost due to charging efficiency in kWh), starting state of charge, ending state of charge, GPS coordinates of where the charging session occurred;

(d) Calculations – watt hours/mile, miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe), total electricity consumed, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, battery state of health (i.e., the degree of ability of the high-voltage battery to accept and discharge electricity).

A subset of the collected data outlined above will be used to populate an online dashboard made available for Participants to view in the FleetCarma SmartCharge RewardsTM Portal so that the Participant can monitor his/her own vehicle’s charging and driving.

FleetCarma will have access to all of the above-listed data. Con Edison will have access to some, and possibly all, of this data, depending upon what data Con Edison deems pertinent to the learnings it wants to obtain through the SmartCharge New York program.

Information that is collected through the C2 Device will be erased from the device once the information is transferred to FleetCarma. The data collected by the C2 Device is encrypted when transmitted to FleetCarma servers. Data will also be encrypted when FleetCarma sends it to Con Edison.

In addition to the data listed above, Con Edison and FleetCarma will collect the information you provide on your Program application and any surveys or other Program evaluations that you choose to complete and submit during your participation in the Program.

Collected information that is transferred to FleetCarma and Con Edison will be retained by FleetCarma and Con Edison for an indefinite amount of time.

Please see the FleetCarma Privacy Statement available at http://www.fleetcarma.com/privacy/ for further information on data collected by FleetCarma and how it may be used by FleetCarma. Please also see Con Edison’s Privacy Statement which is available at https://www.coned.com/en/conedison-privacy-statement for further information on how Con Edison collects and may use and share your information, including any of the above-described data and information that Con Edison receives about you in connection with your participation in the SmartCharge New York program.

Without limiting the terms of the Privacy Policies referenced above, FleetCarma and Con Edison may use the information they obtain about you through your participation in the SmartCharge New York program, including data collected through the C2 Device provided to you (collectively, “Participant Information”), in order (a) to operate, administer, market, evaluate, analyze, or change or improve the Program, the C2 Devices and the SmartCharge Rewards Portal, and (b) to prepare and present general, aggregated or anonymized results and information about the Program to third parties, including governmental entities such as the New York State Public Service Commission. FleetCarma and Con Edison may also use and publish information regarding your participation in the Program, your use of the C2 Device, and your use of the SmartCharge Rewards Portal as long as the information is presented in an anonymized format (i.e., in a manner that does not identify you).

@murphyS90D - I'm sure on the Tesla OBD connections. I've never seen any of the basic OBD scanners deal with more than one can bus. Having connector pins in the unit does not mean they actually monitor the manufacturer specific pins. I couldn't find any details about your scanner, the website they have does not list pinouts or buses that they monitor.

I expect they only connect to the Tesla CAN bus 1 - which is only routed between the OBD port and the MCU. Can 1 is not actually used for anything in the Tesla itself, so I don't know what is sent on it. My guess is whatever is legally required (VIN?) and nothing else. Others have reported no useful information on this bus too. I've never bothered to look at can bus 1, but when I get some time I'll hook up to it and see what it has.

Now Can bus 6 has qutie a bit of useful information, running at 500 kbps. Tesla is unusual in that they have 6 separate CAN buses. I normally work with the diagnostic connector where all the good stuff happens :)

Most vehicles have 1 can bus, such that all the useful data on non Tesla cars can be extracted from that single CAN bus.

I found there was firmware update available for the scanner so I updated it and tried again. It aborts saying it can't find an MCU to connect to.

According to this link

https://www.scantool.net/blog/how-do-i-know-whether-my-car-is-obd-ii-com...

it is supposed to work with Tesla. The Roadster maybe?

reed_lewis | 18 april 2017

On this subject of ODB ports, would a device like the Progressive Snapshot work either?

Bill_75D | 18 april 2017

I had an Allstate Drive Wise in my last car. It won't work in the Tesla.

reed_lewis | 18 april 2017

I wonder if Tesla could integrate the functionality of things like the EV charging device above, or Allstate/Progressive into the internal computer. I mean the device runs Linux so it should be able to run third party programs.

@reed_lewis - I'm sure it's technically possible - likely software only. If it's even on Tesla;s list, I suspect it is so far down on the "TO DO" list, it might be 5+ years before you see it. Perhaps someday a common API would be created for all manufacturer's cars and all of these type applications.

Silver2K | 18 april 2017

Bill_75D +1

drive wise does not work in a tesla or volt.

Haggy | 23 maj 2018

I assume then that this won't work with the Model 3. Is that correct?

stanley.s.eng | 23 december 2018

They have a solution for the model 3 now. I have it installed on the 3 and x

connor1789 | 25 juni 2019

Hey, friends. National Grid in Rhode Island, my home state, just started this FleetCarma program. They are offering $50 for signing up and $50 per year for 2019-21. I guess my data is worth $200 bucks, and the money is fine, but the whole thing kind of creeps me out from a privacy perspective. it's one thing for Tesla to know everything about the way I charge and otherwise use my Model 3, but it seems weird to an old guy like me to give so much info to the power company and FLeetCarma, whoever the heck they are. Any thoughts out there?

sr.smr | 26 juni 2019

I'm more concerned connecting a non-Tesla accessory to the car than my privacy. If something fails on the car that is even remotely associated with this attachment, you risk voiding the warranty.

plusplusjames | 26 juni 2019

I have it installed. It works great and I earn $10 - $50 a month in Amazon credits.