Forums

Dull interior

Dull interior

I've noticed in all the pics I see on the interior, there's something missing, I believe a little chrome and shiny plastic would give it some luxury.

Carl Thompson | 20 september 2017

I guess it's a matter of taste. I personally hate it when cars have chrome and shiny plastic in their interiors. Seems pointless and causes annoying sun reflections.

Carl

Frank99 | 20 september 2017

Feel free to add some. Maybe some fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view, and some shag carpeting while you're at it. And don't forget the zebra-patterned seat covers...

cascadiadesign | 20 september 2017

That's precisely what the Model 3 needs - more of that luxurious plastic & plasti-chrome. Maybe even the finest imported plastic. Oh ya, and more cowbell.

Tropopause | 20 september 2017

I gotta have more cowbell!

Edgarbal | 20 september 2017

Point taken, I don't mean to overdo it with chrome and shine, compared to the S, subtle, not dull.

thedrisin | 21 september 2017

It is not plastic, it is vegan wood.

KP in NPT | 21 september 2017

You could bedazzle it. Make it your own.

bmz | 21 september 2017

It wouldn't hurt to give the M3 a more finished look--something that didn't scream out economy car. For example, now there are places where the white faux leather meets the black faux leather with no molding or trim whatsoever.

andy.connor.e | 21 september 2017

What in the fk is "vegan wood".

jordanrichard | 21 september 2017

"vegan" is the new buzz word that people like to throw around when in the scheme of things it means nothing and is nothing special. ANYTHING not made from an animal is "vegan". So that includes the paint, the glass, the DU, so on and so forth.

Meatless wood? Dairy-free wood?

Captain_Zap | 21 september 2017

Isn't vegan wood and leather oil based products?

hoffmannjames | 21 september 2017

The premium interior looks fine to me, definitely not "economy car".

Yes to the "vegan leather", but I thought the wood in Tesla's was real. My MS has the Piano Black accent (plastic) in the dash.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 21 september 2017

Tesla is not a 'luxury' car company.

staze | 21 september 2017

Give me an 8-track and 45 and I'm golden. Holding out for these in 2018.

The wood is real. It is not "vegan". It's actual wood.

DTsea | 21 september 2017

I am pretty sjre ALL wood is vegan.... havent yet found an animal with wooden parts.

DTsea | 21 september 2017

I am pretty sure ALL wood is vegan.... havent yet found an animal with wooden parts.

Oops

It better be an organic vegan plant. You know, not those non-vegan plants.

Real wood, plastic wood, hell, a photo of a piece of wood, is "vegan".

mos6507 | 21 september 2017

"The premium interior looks fine to me, definitely not "economy car"."

other than the conspicuous lack of a dashboard.

@mos6507

thats the best part

Frank99 | 21 september 2017

And a foot-operated parking brake, and a real cigarette lighter (not a "12 Accessory plug"). Oh, and a leather-covered handle on the hand crank for the engine. Can't call it a premium car without any of those either.

All wood is vegan - hahaha true dat.

It's wood - not plastic.

PhillyGal | 21 september 2017

Rest assured that third parties will make lots of personalization options for the Model 3.

@mos Are you saying a premium or luxury car has to have a dashboard? It's the quality of the materials and the tech inside that count, not how much stuff the interior has. I've seen "economy cars" like the Toyota Corolla with very busy interiors. And if you look at the Mercedes-Benz F015 self-driving prototype, it has a minimalist interior like the Model 3 but is a very high end luxury car. The busyness of the interior does not necessarily translate to luxury.

Don't bother - mos's "thing" is the dash. Well, one of his things. He voices his discontent about it in as many threads as he can.

Some people cant appreciate something for its functionality over its looks. Sometimes its all about the ego, AHEM i mean appearance.

Yeah, I guess some people have a certain image in their head of what luxury "should" look like. For them, the interior must have a lot of chrome buttons, wood paneling and leather to be luxury. Something like this: http://www.zer customs.com/photos/2011-Audi-A8-price/2011-Audi-A8-41.jpg.html

RedShift | 21 september 2017

My remark to Tesla 3 days ago at the new Fremont service center was the same. 'Add some flair, especially to the interior door panels'. There was a M3 there and I got to look over it in some detail. Can't hurt to add a thin strip of the same wood veneer as the dash. It looks too econobox right now. Imho.

Shock | 21 september 2017

I will be adding Realtree duct tape to mine. Tastefully, though.

RedPillSucks | 21 september 2017

@ReD eXiLe I think a lot of people don't realize this and equate price with luxury.

stevenroglen | 21 september 2017

Vegan DU HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Iwantmy3 | 21 september 2017

I think what we need is all natural (no synthetics), vegan, organic, gluten free, sugar free, bio-degradable interiors. Lets make everyone happy.

Except, I would have liked leather.

@RedShift

Every piece added to make it look "luxurious" is another step in the manufacturing process. A step that requires parts, robots, logistics, and time. As much as it sucks, everything that this car is "missing" is the reason why its $35,000. Simpler production = less production cost. Its all been done so that you dont have to spend $100k to get the best of the best. you're welcome

If you want Luxury, there is Model S. Its like asking Toyota to put Lexus luxury into their Corolla. It would not be a corolla if they put luxury in it.

@andy +1

I also think people need to remember that the battery adds cost to an EV which ICE cars don't have. That is why EVs tend to be a bit pricier than what the outside and inside would seem to show. The ICE car can take the "EV" part of the cost and funnel it into sprucing up the luxury of the interior. So, it is not fair to ask why a loaded $50K Model 3 does not look as "nice" as a comparable $50K ICE car because that $50K in the Model 3 is getting you a bunch of stuff that the ICE car can't give you, like all electric driving, EAP, etc... You are still getting a $50K car, it's just hidden in the tech and not outwardly visible in how the interior looks.

Its $50,000 worth of new technology. Not $50,000 worth of visual ego.

@andy Yes, that is what I was trying communicate. :)

i always boil it down!

Carl Thompson | 21 september 2017

I plan on getting the white interior and having local kids fingerpaint pictures on the seats, dash and door panels to class it up a bit.

slasher0016 | 21 september 2017

I'm confused by the "Tesla is not a 'luxury' car company" comment. What exactly is it if it's not a luxury car company? Their website for the longest time said "premium electric vehicles." The model 3 is still a premium electric vehicle.

I agree that price does not equate to luxury, it's about technology, ride,handling, performance, quietness, etc. All of Telsas cars have all of those things.

The definition of what Luxury is, comes from an opinionated arbitrary standard society gets to decide on. Because what could be considered luxury, would become economy if something more luxurious is made. Someone who lives in a cardboard box could think a 1992 chevy impala is luxurious. There is no definition of luxury, because its based on what your opinion of luxury is.

Thrillion | 21 september 2017

Tesla prefers not to require drivers to wear glare reducing sunglasses. (See Porsche settlement)

LA-Fohlen | 21 september 2017

I was just thinking about that. I give my kids the crayons and at the end my car will be very customized as my current car.

Yodrak. | 21 september 2017

I don't equate chrome and shiny plastic with luxury, more like 1960's garish and vulgar. But if that's your thing, why not include some neon-colored naugahyde in the mix?

My dear Andy, I know all about how it raises the production costs. I have commented exactly the same thoughts as yours on this exact subject.

I know they ran out of money to put in little things like this. I am not demanding a "100K" interior, please don't be a drama queen, I'm talking about an interior that will pale next to a 25K interior.
I have a "100K" Model S and it's interior while sparse, I have grown to like it. Model 3 is a little after to like, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to it.
I'm not necessarily blaming Tesla - it is what it is - they just ran out of budget!

I'm talking about the buyers who they might lose out who compare this to the other interiors. Granted, they have demand far outstripping supply right now.

After to like=harder to like (typo)

And Model S is not 'luxury'. It's 'premium'.

True luxury exists. Look at BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Lexus et al.

Acura interior - now that is premium. Not luxury. Like Tesla.

Pages