Forums

Yellow band along borders of touchscreen

Yellow band along borders of touchscreen

I got my car in January of this year and the main screen has developed a yellow band along the top and two sides that is visible in the daytime but not in night mode. It is very uniform in width. Rebooting did not make a difference.

A web search does not show any reports of this and I'm wondering if any of the owners here have had this happen to their cars.

Thanks.

SnowFlake | 18 august 2018

All the people who had the yellow band. Do you guys keep overheat protection system off or on?

mark.soltys | 19 august 2018

Yellow band just appeared for us. 2018 100D. Overheat protection has been on during our ownership of 2 months, but we bought a showroom vehicle with 5k miles on it.

brian | 5 september 2018

My 2018 100D also has it, overheat protection has been on during the short time I've owned it.

/b

brian | 5 september 2018

My 2018 100D also has it, overheat protection has been on during the short time I've owned it.

/b

akikiki | 5 september 2018

Snowflake, brian, Mine was replaced yesterday by Mobile Service. I've never used over heat protection. Mine is a Feb '17 build.

Tropopause | 5 september 2018

Sept '17 build. O-heat protection always on. Yellow band for a couple or few months now. Have taken no action yet.

TeslaTap.com | 5 september 2018

@SnowFlake - I think the Yellow band is caused by light or UV, not heat. With the screen replacement, I've not heard of anyone having the problem again.

adisabatino | 6 september 2018

Feb 2018 delivery. Going into service next week to hopefully get it replaced.
Yes on overheat protection.

jerrykham | 6 september 2018

@TT, several on the forums have posted that they have had 2 replacements. It may have been the other yellow border thread we had recently - but there were more than one saying that they had 2 replaced. So far just one for me - Sept 2017 build. Had it replaced August 2018 when doing the 12,500 mile service.

adspguy | 7 september 2018

I had the yellow border, they fixed it by replacing the entire mpu and I am now seeing yellow again. YMMV

mark.sullivan | 30 september 2018

Glad to see others have had this replaced. My 90D was build between January and March '17. Looks to be a trend.

RedJ | 30 september 2018

@ TT I’ve had my MCU replaced twice now for the yellow band. However the first time it was before this failure mode was reported commonly. Hopefully that means that this time the one I recieved will not have a re-oocurrence of the issue.

NKYTA | 30 september 2018

Not seen the yellow band. Second MCU for diff issue.

bill | 30 september 2018

It seem to start with late 2016 and early 2017. Now if it is showing up in 2018 it seems they have not resolved the problem yet. Must be costing someone a lot for all these replacements.

Mine is going in Tuesday. Car was built between November and December 2016

srgeis | 1 oktober 2018

Add my car to the list, MS 100D, delivered March 2018. Noticed the yellow bands about two weeks ago.

spatters805 | 1 oktober 2018

Had mine replaced in April of last year and the yellow bad has returned. I have a 2017 MS75D and the car is garaged, has OH Protection and I use the factory sunshade for the sunroof. Will be taking it in soon for re-replacement.

djlew8 | 1 oktober 2018

March 2018 production, just over 7000 miles. Never exposed to temp extremes. Yellow bands just beginning to appear. The only thing I can think of that correlates is the use of the heater. Temps recently have dropped into the low 50's, upper 40's F, and I have been setting climate to 70F. Heater has run maybe 6-8 hrs total. Bands jsut beginning to show.
Does heater/duct system somehow heat the screen from behind?

mikeTeslagoal | 1 oktober 2018

@djlew8. I have the same car production date, same problem, SC replaced screen recently. I read somewhere has to do with the glue? They ordered the screen, took a dat, drive an older MS loaner.

cleanhp | 1 oktober 2018

Add me to the list as well (June 2018 delivery). Touchscreen being swapped out today. I think you may be on to something with the heat idea as it seems to be timed with me running HVAC on full hot to try to clear a musty odor from the system (that's a whole other story in itself).

PrescottRichard | 1 oktober 2018

Weird that it's still happening with 2018 cars!

joshua.ryan.miller | 9 oktober 2018

My Model X 100D has had it for a few weeks now. Not sure if I was imagining things, but I suspect it’s UV rays getting strengthened reflecting off the silver trim around the MCU. I haven’t had cabin overheat protection on, others have, and many of us are still getting yellow lines.

joshua.ryan.miller | 9 oktober 2018

By the way, my Model X 100D was delivered early March 2018.

tjhlaw | 10 oktober 2018

My MS 75D (September 2017) is in for the MCU yellow band fix today. I also noticed that when the sun shines directly on the black panel behind the steering wheel (speedometer) there is also a yellow band along the top. It is not noticeable (because it is black) until a direct light is shined on it. I'm not sure that it matters. Just weird.

tjhlaw | 10 oktober 2018

My MS 75D (September 2017) is in for the MCU yellow band fix today. I also noticed that when the sun shines directly on the black panel behind the steering wheel (speedometer) there is also a yellow band along the top. It is not noticeable (because it is black) until a direct light is shined on it. I'm not sure that it matters. Just weird.

Tropopause | 10 oktober 2018

Still haven't fixed mine. Works great!

teznbe16 | 15 oktober 2018

I have a December 2016 delivery with 75D and the yellow border just appeared this afternoon. I scheduled a service for Thursday and let’s see what they say. I had a screen protected for about a year and I am not sure it is caused by that.

mickey.bagg | 2 november 2018

Can the MCU be replaced by Mobile Service or does it have to be done at a service center? I will about 2.5 hours from the nearest center. I don't want to make the drive there if the replacement can be done close to home. I cannot get a straight answer from Tesla about this!

mickey.bagg | 2 november 2018

Can the MCU be replaced by Mobile Service or does it have to be done at a service center? I will about 2.5 hours from the nearest center. I don't want to make the drive there if the replacement can be done close to home. I cannot get a straight answer from Tesla about this!

akikiki | 2 november 2018

You mean the center display unit? Yes, Mobile Service did it at my house in my garage. Took him a little over an hour.

Mfox7044 | 3 november 2018

June 2017 S75. Add me to the list. Will wait until next June to get it replaced when i take it in for service. Maybe they’ll have it figured out by then.

venkatbitla1 | 3 november 2018

Replaced MCU in my 2017 S in Dallas about 6 months ago and the yellow lines started showing up again last week on the replaced unit. SC put in a request for another new MCU which will b replaced as soon as they receive the parts

TMcC | 4 november 2018

I'm with you Mfox7044. I've had the yellow lines for about 4 months on my December 2017 MS100D and I plan on getting the screen replaced when I take it in for the 12.5k service. If I can avoid multiple replacements (assuming that by early next year they have a new construction that won't have this problem) then that would be preferable.

cah | 29 november 2018

Dec 2017 delivery and yellow bands just showed up when I picked up from Tesla for maintenance. It is garage kept at home and does not drop below 50 in garage nor does it get hot.

Just got off phone with Tesla and instead of bringing it in, the phone lady said it happens on replacements too and to wait until Jan 2019 when the fixed screen is due and Service will call me to replace.

nwfan | 29 november 2018

My dec 2017 S100D also having yellow border.
Due for replacement on 1st annual service in 1 week.
1st issues with the car.

Notice a trend. Bad batch of displays?

diamonds2 | 29 november 2018

June 2017 S 100D. I had a yellow banded screen replaced 4 months ago. Yellow bands just returned. Having it replaced at 25,000 service next week.

rdahlke | 30 november 2018

Just got a call from Tesla service. Had an appointment for tomorrow, but they said the new screens without the defect will be in "mid-January to early February" and they will contact me to reschedule when they come in.

cmichael | 1 december 2018

Like many on this forum, I too have the yellow band issue in my 100D. This seems to be a common enough issue to have spawned several posts here and in other third party forums. ref: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-yellow-screen-fringe-seems-t...

I discussed this issue with the Westmont IL service center today (Dec 1). Despite some posters saying they have recently had their screen replaced, Westmont SC said that there has been a service bulletin and that screen replacements have been halted. I was also told that forums posters claiming the received new MCUs (2.5) when they had 2.0 is probably an error so not to get any hopes up for that.

I asked about what is expected and timing and was told that there is a screen redesign and no official date has been suggested; the technician only said late Spring maybe Summer.

Hope this helps others.

rosasco | 7 december 2018

12/16 90D. Same yellow band around perimeter of display. 1/2” wide. 1/2” inset. Looks like a cigarette stain color. Ugly.

Tesla service also told me they wouldn’t replace it until they have a permanent fix. As a warranty holder on such a premium product this is a first. Manufacturer can’t fix a know defect in a deterministic or timely manner.

That seems like a breach of the warranty agreement to me.

avesraggiana | 7 december 2018

I showed up for my appointment, for which I had waited over a month, only to be told that they would not be replacing my screen that day.

I would have to wait to be called when the replacement screens become available, not in January 2016 but in Jun or July of 2019, Elon Tesla Time, of course.

nwfan | 8 december 2018

Ditto on my screen replacement. Plano SC gave me the same excuse. Mother Tesla CA said working on fix. No warranty replacement until perm replacement identified.

Uncle Paul | 10 december 2018

Why would you want to push Tesla to replace your yellow banded display with another one that most likely will develop the same issue down the road. Better to wait until they can source a better one that will eliminate the issue completely.

From what I know the yellow banding does absolutely nothing negative to the car, except that it in noticeable.

cchouston | 10 december 2018

I had mine replaced over a month ago. Sorry to hear that the condition may reoccur.

gregrt | 14 december 2018

Sept 17 build. Well was told Labor day that screen would be replaced and I would have to bring the car in. Well months later, they show up at my house to replace the screen. 4 hours later, they have my old screen back in the car. The new screen looked great but the touch did not work. They tried everything, swapping cables, etc. Now he is coming back in a week with 2 screens, just in case.

spatters805 | 17 december 2018

Second bout with brown ring. Last time it happened my screen failed within a few weeks. This time, I scheduled my 25K mile maintenance service to take care of both issues.

Notified the SC in Agoura well ahead (about a month) regarding the screen issue. Got there and they told me they didn't have the part in stock and would need to order it. They advised me to put off my maintenance until then so I didn't have to drive out another 1/2 hour back to SC. They told me they would call me when the part arrived and I could reschedule. It's been 8 more weeks. They still don't have any part and the service support told me today that I need to wait until the screen is completely dead for them to change it!

They also told me that they are updating the MCU for my model (3/2017 MS75D) and they haven't received the new ones yet. The service personnel sounded dumbfounded when I told her the MCU was updated over a year ago.

Any suggestions? Screen still working, but ring is more prominent and it's been 90 days. I finally scheduled in January since they never called me back.

spatters805 | 17 december 2018

By the way, I think this thread was the original thread. Any advice is appreciated.

spatters805 | 19 december 2018

Does anybody know if they are replacing older MCU’s with the updated MCU (2.5) when fixing this brown ring issue?

BPSoCal | 19 december 2018

Add my 2018 75D to the list. Showed up today. Ugh.

TeslaTap.com | 19 december 2018

@spatters - I've not heard of any MCU1's being replaced with MCU2. In addition to MCU2, It required a new wiring harness as it is not a drop-in replacement. MCU2. An MCU2 also requires new Bluetooth antennas in both side mirrors (possibly new mirror assemblies). There was talk of a paid retrofit upgrade almost a year ago, but I've heard nothing since. I suspect it's too complex or costly of a retrofit and they may have abandoned the idea.

P.S. there is no MCU2.5. There is HW2.5, which comprises a slightly different AP processor board with no major functional differences other than some hardware redundancies and support for the dashcam feature.

SnoR | 19 december 2018

To chime in, my '17 75 has the yellow. SC said there's no fix, and just have to wait.

spatters805 | 19 december 2018

@TeslaTap, you are right as usual. I got my terminology mixed up between HW2.5 and MCU1 vs. MCU2.

Of course, I meant the MCU1 vs MCU2. It’s too bad this continues to happen. There seems to be quite a few owners with more than one replacement. I hope there is a better replacement. I don’t want to have to deal with this yearly or have an issue right when warranty expires.

I imagine the fix is costly.

Pages