Forums

Press: 2017 Super Charger Expansion

Press: 2017 Super Charger Expansion

https://electrek.co/2017/12/26/tesla-supercharger-record-year-goal/

Still pretty impressive. Note the last sentence in the article.

jordanrichard | 26 december 2017

I don’t that Tesla actually said it was a “goal”, they simply said they “plan”.

Also, as that article point out in its last paragraph, yes all of the other companies are merging to build out their own charging network, but only in Europe. IMHO there is a reason for that. In the U.S., the dealers do not want EVs to seen as a replacement for ICE cars and building out a charging network like Tesla has done, is counter to that.

stevenmaifert | 26 december 2017

If you read the blog post: https://www.tesla.com/blog/charging-our-priority they do say "Toward that goal" after a couple of declarative statements; "we’ll be doubling the Tesla charging network, expanding existing sites so drivers never wait to charge" "We started 2017 with over 5,000 Superchargers globally and by the end of this year, Tesla will double that number to total more than 10,000 Superchargers" The usual detractors will say another "over promise and under deliver" but in this case, I feel the progress in Supercharger expansion this year is commendatory and provides us with a x-country driving experience like no other EV manufacturer.

blue adept | 26 december 2017

From what I understand of it, Tesla will be continuing to expand their SuperCharger network until there is ample coverage to enable ready access to meet the needs of their consumer base and, on top of that, they'll also be deploying a MegaCharger network to accommodate their emerging semi-truck platform, insuring that EVERY Tesla owner's charging needs are met to insure the full implementation and adoption of the EV commuter technology.

Bubba2000 | 26 december 2017

The Supercharger Network is integrated with Tesla navigation and drives demand exponentially. Along with great design, performance, UI, battery supply, etc Tesla has 1st mover advantages. The cheaper SCs will help.

Madatgascar | 27 december 2017

I've tried using Chargepoint and Blink in early travel days (before San Diego ha a SC) and sure hope I never have to go back to that. Fumbling with my phone and credit card while trying to read a dim low contrast display in the bright sun was miserable. I had to wonder whether they were intentionally trying to make it a frustrating experience. I'm sure it's better if you have an account and get a card you can swipe, but still a PITA compared to SCs.

reed_lewis | 27 december 2017

I use a Chargepoint 5 kW charger at work every day. I have the RFID card and tap the card, wait about 4 seconds, and then plug the J-1772 plug into the adapter already installed in my Tesla S75D.

Since it is free for four hours (then goes to $2.50 an hour after that), I charge in the AM and move my car at lunch.

I can get about 20 kWh in four hours which covers my morning commute even in cold weather. During the summer since I use a LOT less power, I only charge at work and save the few bucks that it would have cost me at home.

But I am lucky in that it is in a garage that I pay monthly for access. Since they added the four hour limit, I have never had an issue getting a spot for four hours.

Another place I use the Chargepoint Charger is in Cambridge MA on the summer Sundays that the MIT Flea is on. There is a spot right next to the entrance of the flea, so I get power and a great parking spot. It costs 50 cents an hour, but it is a 7 kW charger, so I can get 7 kWh for 50 cents. Not a bad deal!

SamO | 27 december 2017

That's a great deal @reed . . . I also have unmetered charging at work, but it's small enough that we just ask for the keys ;-)

So does the Whole Foods 365 nearby. So do all of the public parks. All free.

This pay a lot model isn't going to work very well.

Tesla has put a floor on what people should be paying, at $0.07/kWh with Megachargers.

blue adept | 27 december 2017

I think that the majority of the outcry over charger accessibility is with owners who solely use/rely on remote chargers for their charging needs instead of installing any type of in/at home personal charging system, be it due to infrastructure restrictions or financial limitations.

Hopefully the continued expansion will provide everyone with enough opportunities to meet their individual needs.

gfjones44 | 29 december 2017

I am disgusted with the "Fake News" of the Tesla software related to Supercharger availability. On December 27 the Dublin CA Supercharger icon was showing "4 available" yet on arrival at least 10 cars were waiting! Four stalls were blocked off and out of service. I know that Tesla is struggling to get more capacity from the local power utility (PGE) but at least provide useful, truthful information!!!

jordanrichard | 30 december 2017

“Disgusted”, really? Can we be more dramatic.

dslackman | 30 december 2017

The “free” supercharger is of no value to me if I can’t use it when I need it, because of a lack of capacity. In the middle of Long Island, with a population of 4 million, in the Metro NYC market (pop 12million), along one of the busiest roads (the Long Island Expressway) Tesla still has only 4 stalls—the same since 2014. There’s always a line of cars waiting, and we haven’t yet seen Model 3 deliveries. It’s absurd.

Bubba2000 | 30 december 2017

Tesla is expanding Superchargers stations all over the world, including Mexico, Eastern Europe, Turkey, Middle East, remote parts of Europe. Most of the early demand for Model 3 will be right here in the US, Canada, wealthy parts of Europe, Japan. Even China is a question mark. Why not focus the Supercharger network it these countries. Maintenance of this global SC network got to cost a fortune.

NKYTA | 30 december 2017

And yet people are traveling cross country on the SC network, some with dogs, some with wives.

Hyperbole is rarely encountered.

bp | 31 december 2017

Tesla can do much more to help in monitoring and using the superchargers.

Trying to automatically determine which chargers are inaccessible due to parked vehicles or due to other issues (such as damaged chargers, flooding, ...) is probably not practical for Tesla to implement.

However, there are other data sources they could use to get a more complete picture of what's happening - and provide this to vehicles approaching the chargers...

Tesla could monitor cars at a supercharger location. If there are cars waiting to charge - and chargers are available, that would indicate issues likely preventing those chargers from being used - and could mark those chargers as unavailable. Similarly, they could monitor charger usage over an extended period (24 hours?) and if some chargers aren't being used, those could also be marked as potentially unavailable.

Tesla can estimate how long cars currently charging will take to complete the charging visit - and also knows how much charge cars that are waiting will likely need - and use that data to make an estimate of charger availability for cars approaching the charger (or for the navigation software considering which chargers to visit). This would help prepare drivers for potential charger waits - before they get to the charger.

Tesla could do more to encourage drivers to leave after charging - not just superchargers - but also the destination chargers which can have similar contention - by issuing notifications to drivers as they approach the end of charging, and asking them to move on because other cars are waiting for charging.

Tesla could also expand the smartphone app and console interface so drivers could report charger issues - such as blocked spots or broken chargers.

All of this is software - using data that Tesla either has or can easily get - and if they added this feature - it would be a huge benefit for drivers, plus provide a significant advantage for Tesla owners over what the other manufacturers will be able to offer (since they will be relying on 3rd party long distance charging networks).

jordanrichard | 31 december 2017

Dslackman, have you looked at the plans for LI on the Charging page.......

Ohmster | 1 januar 2018

With the number of carry overs from 2017 (permitted or in construction), we should see a good jump in early 2018.

Westlske CA should be online this month.

S75 & X75D AP2.5 17.50.2. Grin on!

Darryl | 1 januar 2018

If everyone who can would install chargers at home this would reduce much of the congestion.

jbrown234 | 1 januar 2018

I noticed the Tesla planned charging station for Charleston, SC was pushed from a “by the end of 2017” open date to a “by the end of 2018” date. With Charleston, SC being a reasonably large tourist destination city, and the closest Tesla SC facility 70 miles away, is there any update on how soon the 2018 Charleston, SC supercharger center will open? Also, has Tesla applied for the building permit?

SCCRENDO | 1 januar 2018

Charleston should have plenty of destination chargers . It’s more important to have the charger 70 miles away to allow Teslas to get there.

Ohmster | 1 januar 2018

I think all the “by the end of 2017” were globally changed to ”by the end of 2018”. Probably evaluating situation before revising to reflect new target dates.

dslackman | 1 januar 2018

jordanrichard I went to the charging page but didn’t see plans for Long Island. Could you give me a bit more specific direction? Thanks.

rgrant | 1 januar 2018

I dunno, Charleston is quite underserved, but there are some level 2 chargers in public parking ramps.