$125 Frunk Organizer?!?

$125 Frunk Organizer?!?

Am I becoming my father or is $125 totally absurd for a trunk organizer that amounts to a square zippered box?

I was excited to get one, but certainly not for that money. Now seriously doubting the center console is going to be reasonable.

SamO | 17. Juli 2013

You are "becoming your father". This is a $70-100K car. A branded piece of luggage that might cost $50 on the open market costing $125 is reasonable. I probably won't buy one, but it's not because of cost.

J.T. | 17. Juli 2013

I won't buy one because of cost. Just because I spent a whole bunch of money for a car it doesn't mean I have to spend a whole bunch of money for everything associated with it. The organizer, the CCI, the branded floor mats and the rear deck shelf are simply overpriced compared to the alternatives. There is nothing to compare the car to so it cannot be overpriced. It's expensive but not overpriced.

unclegeek | 17. Juli 2013

+1 @jtodtman. The accessory page is on crack, $ wise. But I'm coming from a BMW and an Audi and I feel the same about their parts and accessories.

kawaiia | 17. Juli 2013

These are options and if people are willing to pay, then TM has a market for those items. As for me, I'd purchased a 3rd party rubber floor mats and a $16 storage box for the frunk.

stsanford | 17. Juli 2013

@SamoSam - You're right, my dad wouldn't have the cars I have had... That being said, even coming from Porsche, I still find the accessory pricing ludicrous.

AlMc | 17. Juli 2013

+1 unclegeek....You always pay more for upscale car accessories. But thanks for buying them. It does help TMs bottom line.

disclaimer: I have helped the stock price by buying the floor and
trunk mats :)

stevenmaifert | 17. Juli 2013

When they're asking $20 for an $8 pen of touch up paint, one can only imagine what they'll want for the center console. Personally, I can't wait to be the first in my neighborhood to have a tire tote.

soma | 17. Juli 2013

It's all about alternatives. We are willing to pay a lot for a unique car that no one else produces, and that is in short supply.

It is more of a ripoff when a $20 divider made of plastic and no special expertise gets sold for $125.

But then, on things like that, you have the ability to vote with your dollars and get something else made more cheaply.

tobi_ger | 17. Juli 2013

I thought you were all used to that accessory pricing since first iPhone/iPad etc.? Somewhat amusing, sounds like pure 1st world problems again.
(*locking doors and windows*)

jamestily | 17. Juli 2013

I got mine 2 days ago. I think it is great.
Uses that little space perfectly. keeps what you want out of the way, and keeps other things put in the front from sliding in there where they are hard to get out. fill it up, slide it in, and when you want to, just grab the handle and pull it out. It will hold your tesla blanket, a tire repair kit, electric pump, raincoat, you get the idea.

bradslee | 17. Juli 2013

There is a desire there is a market. Tesla Model S is a brand name and people who own the car would like to have any opportunity to be associated with that brand for being self-satifactory or being proud of this brand. Some want to pay top $ for the same accessories that others would view as purely waste of money because that same accessories can be purchased at Wal-Mart or Costco for much less $. It is a personal preference.

AlMc | 17. Juli 2013

Tesla brand identity is growing fast. I was at the king of Prussia store a couple weeks ago and amazed at how many people were buying caps, shirts and mugs, etc...and they don't own a Tesla.

mcx-sea | 17. Juli 2013

After noting the dimensions of the Tesla item, I browsed through perhaps two dozen sets and individual bags, large and small in her "luggage" closet. Found a never used, very rugged premium quality Nylon black bag with exactly the same length and width. Proved to be a snug fit, empty or full. Removable shoulder strap. Outside zippered pockets. Perfect for the cameras, binoculars, small electronics, flashlights, first aid kit, maps, etc. that can be so useful to have handy but that should be kept out of sight. Even with the frunk open the black blends in so nicely it is all but unnoticeable. And the shoulder strap makes it quick and easy to take into a motel room.

Mike C | 17. Juli 2013

It's tapered to fit in there perfectly - you're not going to find anything else at any price that will use the space as efficiently (not that I need all the space, all I have in it so far is my overpriced Tesla-branded tire repair kit...)

cfOH | 17. Juli 2013

The O/C geek in me wants an optimally sized frunk bag very much. The fiscally conservative accounting nerd in me says "$125? WTF?!?"

This time, the nerd wins. This time..

tobi_ger | 17. Juli 2013

"This time..." Keep telling that to yourself! :)

mcx-sea | 17. Juli 2013

After noting the Tesla item's dimensions, I browsed through her "luggage" closet. Found a very rugged bag exactly the same length and width. Black ballistic cloth, multiple zippered pockets. Snug fit full or empty and the black blends so nicely with the frunk that it is virtually unnoticeable. Perfect for keeping cameras, binoculars, first aid kit, small electronics, flashlights, maps, etc. very handy while completely out of sight of passengers and everyone else. Removable shoulder strap makes it quick and easy to take in and out of overnight lodging.

mcx-sea | 17. Juli 2013

Sorry for the repeat. Internet crashed here so didn't see the first response post.

Brian H | 17. Juli 2013

That's OK.

That's OK.

tim_michaela | 18. August 2013

Bought the frunk organizer. Its pretty cool - fits perfectly and (sort of) insulated. $125 doesn't seem crazy for a brand name bag - would expect it to be twice the cost if it were Porsche or Tumi.

J.T. | 18. August 2013

And if it was Old Navy . . . $19.95.

mlnewman | 18. August 2013

My answer to this situation: buy a $40 camera bag off the rack at Target and the $20 frunk cargo net off of the accessories site. Basically the same functionality for less than half the price! Win.

thranx | 18. August 2013

Volume = pricing. If the suppliers thought they could sell 30,000 of these, the price woudl come down.

sunrunner | 18. September 2013

125$ is def too much for a box. But that box fits perfectly and it looks amazing, is it overpriced? Yes. But Is it worth it? Also yes. Coming from a Maserati these accessories are definitely more reasonably priced.

jbunn | 18. September 2013

I had some polo shirts made up years ago for a business I owned. Went to a custom embroidery shop. Brought my logo on a computer disk. They whacked out the shirts in no time.

Other places today can laser cut vinyl stickers, wood burn, or water jet through steel on a one off basis. Or go to Café Press, paste your artwork and order your one of a kind object from hundreds of items.

So I don't get mugged here, I am NOT suggesting you do this for sale. But if you want a set of Tesla logoed shot glasses for your own personal use, enjoy.

AmpedRealtor | 18. September 2013

You're not paying $125 for a box, you're paying $25 for a box and $100 for the Tesla logo. :)

stevenmaifert | 18. September 2013

The same will be true when they announce the pricing for the Drop-In Center Console.

hhorwitz | 15. Januar 2014

This may have been a high price but (a) the item seems quite useful to me and (b) it has been sold out on the Tesla website for some time. Does anyone know of a third party vendor who sells a zippered bag or similar item with the proper dimensions? From the Tesla website, it appears the dimensions are 18"W x 16"D x 10.5"H.

ccbldg | 15. Januar 2014

I found this utility bag on Amazon, fits quite well in the recessed area: Kolpin Atv/Utv Utility Bag

carolinagobo | 15. Januar 2014

I got it is well done and useful and thermic. If you buy BMW, Jag accessories prices are way higher.

AoneOne | 15. Januar 2014

I just bought a large, translucent plastic storage box with lid at Target. Fits and does the job for far less.

Thomas N. | 15. Januar 2014

I believe it's sold-out on the Tesla site because they had to order different sized bags. The newer frunks are smaller than the originals by a few inches in depth and width and the old frunk bag would not fit into the new compartment.

Of course this means that anybody with an earlier car and the bigger frunk will find the bag to be a bit small for their frunk.

Brian H | 16. Januar 2014

Apparently some others found it, too.
"Kolpin Atv/Utv Utility Bag
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

ccbldg | 16. Januar 2014

Hrmmm, seems to be out of stock everywhere, did find this one though if anybody's interested.

Roamer@AZ USA | 16. Januar 2014

The bag is free, the Tesla logo is what costs.

I have the bag in both cars. Fits perfectly and is well made. No complaint.

Looks nice since I am constantly showing people my engine. I just love that look when I open it. The nice logo tesla bag just adds to the experience.

jordanrichard | 16. Januar 2014

Roamer, what do you keep in the bag?

Thomas N. | 16. Januar 2014

Duct tape, rope, chloroform, ...... just kidding! (Tasteless - sorry!)

Roamer@AZ USA | 17. Januar 2014

I keep emergency supplies. Travel first aid kit, blanket, water (live in the desert), folding lug wrench (scissor jack won't fit and rides in the rear storage), travel charge cord with all the cord adapters, small tool kit, micro fiber rags and a pair of gloves.

I meant I love the look when I pop the Frunk to show the engine.

My normal tour of the car is; sit in the drivers seat, experience the flat panel display, fold the back seats, pop the trunk, then show the rear storage compartment. By that point people are impressed that the entire car is open space. Not even a floor tunnel. The perfect moment to say, "want to see the engine".

The reaction is always the same. A shocked look followed by, what makes it go.

The little logo Frunk bag finishes the tour when you slide it out and not only is there no engine there is even a built in suitcase tucked into the back of the Frunk.

I just enjoy introducing people to the technology.

@jordan. Oops, forgot the travel air compressor is in there also. So nice to keep emergency supplies in a sealed, insulated, clean case rather than scattered all over the car.

Theresa | 17. Januar 2014

Roamer, I am curious as to your inclusion of the scissors jack and lug nut wrench. Do you carry a spare? If not what use will the jack and wrench be? It is just added weight to the car which should diminish your range. The rest of the stuff sounds correct though.

Theresa. I haven't added the spare yet. Waiting some one buying after market wheels to dump them cheap. Looking for a full set of 19's.

I put the jack in for road trips and figure at least I can remove a wheel and take it for repair without needing to tow the whole car. Not the best but a solution until I get around to buying a spare. In Arizona it can be a long distance for service out in the desert on i8 and I10.

I have two MS cars so in town I can always take a wheel off the other car and use it to limp home and make repairs. Used to do that on our Nissan leafs. Wife called with flat and I pulled a tire off the car in the garage and drove the truck to where she was and popped it on.

No easy answers when you don't have a spare tire in the car. I think Tesla should sell a cheap light weight aluminum spare tire, wheel, jack and lug wrench in their store.

J.T. | 17. Januar 2014

@Theresa It has been reported that it can be impossible to inflate a tire with the weight of the car on it. Once jacked the compressor and goop have a much better chance of repairing the flat to drivable condition.

Brian H | 17. Januar 2014

you mean you just love seeing people gobsmacked.

donaldmeacham1 | 17. Januar 2014

I bought the frunk organizer and am very pleased with it. When others see it they say WOW that sure is nicer than a cardboard box.

Donny B. | 14. März 2014

I wish they would get this Frunk organizer box back in stock. I heard they have redesigned the space a bit, so had to make the bag a little bit smaller.

One pleasant surprise on the cost of accessories was the all-weather floor trays. These are manufactured by WeatherTech, but the ones sold by Tesla (including the Tesla logo) are actually cheaper than the WeatherTech-branded mats. Maybe that was a mistake that they've corrected by now???

Roamer@AZ USA | 14. März 2014

Donny, I have the Frunk bags in both of our cars. One car has the slightly shorter cubby hole. The bags fit just fine in both cars. The original weather tech mat does not fit without trimming a little off the back.

thranx | 14. März 2014

The branded all-weather floor mats are the best accessory I've bought for the far.

2050project | 14. März 2014

This fit's in the hollowed-out frunk space at back nicely: