Forums

240v outlet for charging with no GFCI?

240v outlet for charging with no GFCI?

I noticed a new circuit in a clients house for charging his Tesla. No GFCI breaker supplying the circuit. Are the circuits for tesla chargers not supposed to have GFCI?

I'm less then impressed with the lack of tech info on the site. Am I missing something?

Cheers,
TC

Timo | 28. Januar 2014

Tesla is like your iPod. It doesn't care which kind of plug you put it in as long as it provides useful power to charge the battery.

2-Star | 28. Januar 2014

From the Tesla Mobile Connector Installation Instructions

DETAILS
g Single phase, 208-250 volt AC supply, 60 hertz
g 50 amp circuit breaker / 40 amp continuous draw
g No GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) required g Service disconnect not required
g The connector is 20 feet long. Install your new outlet less than 18 feet from the driver side taillight, at least 18 inches above the ground.
g Do NOT use an extension cord

DTsea | 28. Januar 2014

They need a dedicated breaker, but GFCI are for kitchen/bathroom.

bevguy | 28. Januar 2014

I think no GFI is needed because it's not a wet environment, and the plug remains in the receptacle most of the time, not a constant plug-unplug which to excess wear.

And the no extension cord bit is probably to protect Tesla from people using undersized wire in the extension. With reasonable lengths and large diameter wire there is minimal voltage drop, the electricity doesn't notice any difference. There are on line calculators available for this.

DTsea | 28. Januar 2014

GFI is for ground faults, ie the load (toaster or whatever) gets wet and ground faults. Shouldnt happen with the car. Plus the car has a lot of smarts on managing that.

Timo | 28. Januar 2014

@fredtowers, do you mean high power wall connector? AFAIK mobile connector can be plugged to pretty much any outlet there is including standard wall outlet (110V 12A NEMA 5-15 for US, 230V 13A for Europe).

2-Star | 28. Januar 2014

@Timo,
No, I quoted from the Tesla instructions for installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet for the Universal Mobile Charger.

Joshua Burstyn | 28. Januar 2014

GFCI breakers are not prohibitively expensive. I'd install one to add another layer of protection and consider the $200-$300 breaker cost peace of mind.

Solarguy01 | 28. Januar 2014

I believe that 240v GFCI Breakers are for motors on spas and pools where the possibility of electrocution hazards exist.
Not Welder outlets and dryers

DTsea | 29. Januar 2014

you need a regular breaker- not a GFI.