Submitted by jfeister on 12. März 2011
There's been a lot of discussion about the not-so-good looking front end in the alpha video. I swung by the Tesla dealership today to check out the Model S prototype and was able to get out a few details from the rep regarding that. Here's what I was told:
- No, the production car will not have that big ugly plastic thing on the front.
- The grill will be wider on the production model (vs. the original prototype) to give increased cooling.
- A lot of the modifications to the front end were made for increased aerodynamic performance.
- The "T" will be moved from the grill to the hood.
Some other things I'd been wondering about:
- The "Signature" series, with all the included options, will run between $75k - $80k
- There are currently approximately 500 "Signature" models already reserved.
- The 300 mile and 230 mile options will eat up some of both the front and rear cargo room. I asked if the 300 mile option would still be able to accommodate the rear facing jumper seats the rep wasn't sure but said he believed so.
- The doors handles use proximity sensors, so you don't have to touch the handle for it to extend out.
- Regarding options, I wasn't able to get specifics, just that all options normally available for cars in this class will be available for the Model S.
- The "beta" should be available for viewing in the Fall