Submitted by drjain06 on 05. März 2013
I'll try to make this brief, since most don't want to read long posts:
- Picked up my Model S P in Chicago on 3/2/13
- Garaged it in the city and charged overnight (admittedly with standard charging)
- Range read 240 miles and it's 243 to my home in Toledo
- Stopped in South Bend Indiana off I80/90, about 100 miles from Chicago with ~100 miles range remaining. I Drove around 65-70mph for the trip.
- Charged at Chargepoint for approx 4.5 hours and only got ~75 miles of range.
- Drove home at about 55-60mph with heat and seat heaters off! Everyone was passing me on the highway, and I mean everyone.
- Reached home (~145 miles away) with only 20 miles left on range meter and seriously COLD! (I had to wear my hat and gloves the whole time!)
- I should have used max charge in Chicago, which may have given me another 30 miles of range.
- Current charging network is not practical for long distance driving, especially if you want to charge and go.
- Super chargers are badly needed along I80/90 from Chicago heading east to make this trip feasible and more enjoyable.
- Overall the trip was pretty miserable; however...
- Most important: I LOVE the car, and want to see the brand succeed.