Forums

Automatic emergency braking and collision avoidance

Automatic emergency braking and collision avoidance

Is it standard on Tesla model 3 without getting semi/full auto pilot ?

JAD | 16. Mai 2018

yes

miguelcampeau | 16. Mai 2018

Model 3 Standard Features

Safety

Model 3 is designed to achieve the highest safety ratings in every category.

Automatic Emergency Braking & Side Collision Warning
Eight airbags
Electronic stability and traction control

wangbill18 | 16. Mai 2018

Does it work though? Why Utah model S driver hit a fire truck at red light without braking?

mfong | 16. Mai 2018

On my 2 week old Model 3, I was on the freeway without AP on and a motorcycle cruised by in the lane to my left, and suddenly the car beeped and started to steer me away from the motorcycle. But it was not approaching me. Fortunately, I held the wheel still and didn't let it force me to the right. Anyone else have a similar experience?

ebmcs03 | 16. Mai 2018

Sounds like this. But in this video it was on AP

https://insideevs.com/watch-autopilot-save-tesla-model-x-from-collision/

jimmy | 17. Mai 2018

My understanding is that it will, unless of course it’s a fire truck at a stoplight. ;-)

WantMY | 17. Mai 2018

Yes, it is standard, but it would do nothing to avoid a collision or accident. It is a fact proven by plenty of Tesla accidents - the cars slam to just about anything from concrete slubs, light polls to fire trucks at full speed. It is just to make you feel safer when you buying the car. The only thing that works is airbags and seat belts, just like in any other car on the market.

rjalpine | 17. Mai 2018

Waiting for M3 AWD and not an owner.

Tesla is using a very similar AEB as other manufacturers. I have lived with AEB in my 2015 Acura MDX (CMBS) for a few of years, and it works, but has occasional false positives which are annoying but can be a bit dangerous. ACC and AEB together are also untrustworthy when there is sudden braking in front of you at highway speeds, and you have to be vigilant (especially if the car in front swerves to avoid a stopped vehicle). The few incidents in Teslas recently are a minor cause for concern at best (while being life shattering for those involved) as they are clearly outside the current limits of the system's capability. False positives are the big problem for system designers for AEB as described many times elsewhere. Autopilot and AEB are good safety systems by all reports, but are not foolproof and should not be assessed on that basis. You cannot also use a handful of incidents to determine (lack of) reliability of a system that likely has thousands and thousands (millions?) of successful interventions every year.

If the news about these incidents encourages people to lose some faith in their Autopilot systems that is likely a good thing as their faith may be unreasonable. If it causes people to lose faith in Tesla or the EV transition, that would be bad for everyone, imo, and not a fair assessment of the facts.

Following is text from Acura about CMBS:

'To help reduce the likelihood or severity of a frontal impact, the Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) uses both a radar system and a high-resolution forward camera to recognize hazards such as vehicles or a pedestrian. The system can use up to 80% of full braking power to avoid or reduce impact with the detected object.