Forums

So I hit a Deer two weeks ago, and now I am without my Model S for two weeks

So I hit a Deer two weeks ago, and now I am without my Model S for two weeks

Two weeks ago, I hit a deer that jumped out in front of me on a back road in CT. I was going 45 MPH (The speed limit), and it smashed the headlight, and pushed the bumper in. I called the insurance company, and got an estimate for repair from a local Tesla approved body shop. The body shop estimate was $4K, and the insurance company was $2k (of course). Well the car went in this morning, and even though it is a headlight replacement, and removal of the front bumper and check inside to make sure nothing else was damaged, it is going to be two weeks.

I do not know what I will do without my Model S for two weeks. I may have to go test drive an X just to keep me Tesla smiling. Luckily we have a third car so I do not need to rent anything, but I really did not want to spend $1K for the deductible this month!

Luckily the car drives fine even with the damage (including autopilot and sensors), so it is not a major issue, but still it pisses me off. That deer sucks!

mcflyInAustin | 08. Juni 2018

The deer is probably saying the same thing about you.

reed_lewis | 08. Juni 2018

Maybe, but he ran out in front of me from the woods. So it was his fault.

tes-s | 08. Juni 2018

His fault - and his insurance only wants to cover $2k?

Yodrak. | 08. Juni 2018

"I am without my Model S for two weeks"

Only two weeks? Based on posts complaining about Tesla body repairs taking many months, you're lucky with respect to the repair time.

sentabo | 08. Juni 2018

At least the Tesla wasn't totaled, as I'm sure the deer was.

@tes-s I know. I tried to get the deer's insurance, but he just ignored me... ;)

jjgunn | 08. Juni 2018

Poor Bambi!

More bad news is your insurance rate will most likely increase.

Tropopause | 08. Juni 2018

That deer is probably a Tesla-short trying to get more bad media coverage.

Actually, in Massachusetts, hitting an animal is considered comprehensive insurance (like getting damage in a parking lot when you are not in the car, or the car stolen, or glass), so there is no surcharge!...

But I still have to pay the $1K

@Tropopause - Someone at work mentioned that the deer ran in front of the car to get a better look at it. I do not doubt that....

TeslaFixer | 08. Juni 2018

Is it just a headlight, that time frame seems pretty short?

The car was driveable, so I was driving it for two weeks before I brought it in. They say that the headlight was there now from Tesla. But they have to remove the front bumper and see what damage was inside. Hopefully there was none.

sbeggs | 08. Juni 2018

Buncha wise guys here @reed lewis!

stevenmaifert | 08. Juni 2018

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but be thankful it's only two weeks.

revrev4ruach | 08. Juni 2018

Summary: Reed hit a deer in a Tesla. No other bad news!

Way to go Tesla! Sorry about that Reed!

Reed's to do list:

1. Additional Accident Avoidance Driver Education.
See https://www.limerockclub.com
http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/high-performance-driving-schools-yo...
2. Research states with lowest deer populations.
3. Move there.
or
4. Stay in Connecticut and "FEAR THE DEER."

signed,
Milwaukee Bucks Fan

When the deer comes out of the trees that are literally right next to the road running at full speed, it is very difficult to avoid him or her. I only visited CT. I live in Mass. And I usually do not drive windy narrow roads with trees right next to them.

Yes the Tesla performed perfectly. We were perfectly fine.

The interesting thing is that they turned off remote APP access as soon as they took the car in. Darn. I wanted to watch it move around the repair center.... But it makes sense of course.

Yodrak. | 08. Juni 2018

"When the deer comes out of the trees that are literally right next to the road running at full speed, it is very difficult to avoid him or her."

Sounds like the deer met the car at the right-front corner? You didn't T-bone it? If you could have sped up just a bit the deer would have hit you rather than you hitting the deer. Then you could have applied on the basis of uninsured/underinsured ?

In Mass, hitting an animal is comprehensive insurance, which is not surcharge-able. So my insurance will not go up. But I will have to pay the deductible.

And yes, I T-Boned it. Right in its rear leg area. I am sure I broke its legs, but it did run off, so who knows.

markbraukman | 08. Juni 2018

Bummer, the deer ran off. For $1000 you could have gotten some nice cuts of venison.

barrykmd | 08. Juni 2018

Reed - Sorry to hear that. Did the body shop really say 2 weeks? Not wishing it on you, but I'd be surprised if it's not 3x longer than that.

revrev4ruach | 08. Juni 2018

Reed's to do list grows:

1. Stop driving "windy narrow roads with trees right next to them."
2. Install hidden GPS device in Tesla to "to watch it move around the repair center."
3. Strap on some hunting gear to go look for a broken-legged deer for "some nice cuts of venison."
4. Research "Can I get lyme disease from eating roadkill in Connecticut?" on the interweb googlybing.

NKYTA | 08. Juni 2018

Sometimes @barry can be a downer, but he speaks from experience.

@reed, driving through northern WI at night, dodging deer successfully on Hwy roads is my new litmus test for FSD.

In rain, 2030.

In a snowstorm, 2040.

Good luck with the lurkers looking for highway heat. :-)

NKYTA | 08. Juni 2018

And thankfully, I live in NorCal now. :-)

NKYTA | 08. Juni 2018

Soon.

lilbean | 09. Juni 2018

Oh dear! The deer didn’t cross the road. The road crossed the forest.
Glad you’re ok. :)

PatientFool | 09. Juni 2018

I recently had a minor repair done and one thing i liked about the body shop is they didnt take the car in until they were ready for work. First they inspected it. Then a week later, i brought it back so they could remove the bumper to check for additional damage. Only then did they know what parts they needed so they confirmed that they had them before bringing it in for repair. So i got to drive it in the meantime and it was only in the body shop for 3 days for the actual work.

SCCRENDO | 09. Juni 2018

Am I the only one sympathetic to OP. I was without my Model S for 6 weeks in 2014 when I got T-boned. In my Model 3 I went over a piece of rubber on the freeway and it flipped up scuffed my front bumper, displaced one sensor. The scuffing was barely noticeable and Tesla repositioned the sensor. My insurance covered it with a $500 deductible (cost $1750). I did get cross examined by my insurance company and they made it no fault when I stated I was on a freeway boxed in so I could not avoid the rubber debris. I drove the car for 4 weeks while waiting for the body shop and was still without car for 5 days.

johnstonwes | 09. Juni 2018

In South Carolina, a deer strike falls under comp insurance... You can have a different deductible for collision and comp as well. You might consider putting deer whistles on your car - they really work. One of the guys at work put them on the back end of his pickup truck and the deer followed him home.

Yodrak. | 09. Juni 2018

"You might consider putting deer whistles on your car - they really work. One of the guys at work put them on the back end of his pickup truck and the deer followed him home."

I thought "deer whistles" were supposed to deter deer, not attract them.

Nexxus | 19. Juni 2018

@reed_lewis, After having hit 2 deer in the last year (both in 2017), I have mounted deer whistlers on the front, down in the openings for the battery cooling vents. They are small and unobtrusive and unless you point them out to people, they don't even notice them. The deer hear me and turn away and run now instead of going towards the car/movement. First time it took one month to get it back. The second one took 2 months to get it back to us.

Glad you're okay and hope you get your S back soon.

sbeggs | 19. Juni 2018

@Nexxus,
What brand of whistler?

rxlawdude | 19. Juni 2018

@SCCRENDO, you are an accident magnet. ;-)

Silver2K | 19. Juni 2018

Glad your ok!

They really need deer crossing signs and have the deer heed them!

Boonedocks | 19. Juni 2018

reed_lewis | June 8, 2018
When the deer comes out of the trees that are literally right next to the road running at full speed, it is very difficult to avoid him or her. I only visited CT. I live in Mass. And I usually do not drive windy narrow roads with trees right next to them.
Yes the Tesla performed perfectly. We were perfectly fine.

+1 Unfortunate encounter with a deer November 2016 and my car was in the shop for almost 3 months. Same scenario, 55mph county road tree brush line maybe 5 feet from the road and a deer ran full speed into my path.

Took forever to get my car back. Even had to take a new pre-AP1 bumper cover and make the holes for the AP1 sensors or wait an undetermined amount of time for an AP1 bumper cover. All done at one of the two Tesla certified repair centers available at that time.

revrev4ruach | 19. Juni 2018

reed_lewis, I'm hoping it's only three more days until you get your car back. Good luck and let us know.

Love the South Carolina advice about the deer whistlers, by the way.

sbeggs | 19. Juni 2018

@reed,
Did he give you Lyme Disease?

Captain_Zap | 19. Juni 2018

Out of commission for only two weeks? Wow. You are lucky in more ways than one!

Nexxus | 20. Juni 2018

@sbeggs,

They are just the generic type from Walmart. $4.63 a pair. "Bell 01000-8" were the ones I bought. You can Google them to see what type they are.

reed_lewis | 22. Juni 2018

I got it back today (after the two weeks). The shop did a great job, and the car looks perfect. They detailed it, and the outside is like brand new.

I missed my Model S.

sentabo | 22. Juni 2018

Yippee!

SCCRENDO | 22. Juni 2018

@rxlawdude. When you drive 30000 miles a year in LA traffic on LA freeways many things happen. But they can all be repaired and we move on.

SnoWaterSkier | 16. Juli 2019

@Nexxus
So I am assuming you have not had any issues with your Deer Whistles interacting with the Ultrasonic sensors, correct? I am prepared to install one on my M3 as I just saw a 4 point buck a couple day's ago, the buck was just walking along side the road, not bothered by the quiet M3. I have read that the Deer Whistles emit an Ultrasonic sound and am curious if it could possibly interfere with the ultrasonic sensors on the M3.

mcmack15 | 16. Juli 2019

reed_lewis, 1st, so glad nobody was hurt.

If you feel comfortable with it, could you please share the name of the repair shop you used. I am also from MA, and am curious. When I had my bumpers replaced the SC basically strongly urged me to use a local place convenient to get to if I knew of one, versus one of the 'approved' shops an hour away. I went to Needham Collision (Gino is the owner), and they did great work (as they did for me on a prior car when a tree fell on it). However, I would like to know of a Tesla approved place for the future that was was good (feel a little better that they may know more about the sensors, etc.).

reed_lewis | 16. Juli 2019

I used Hollis Auto Body in Ashland. They did a great job.

reed_lewis | 16. Juli 2019

I actually got out my old Garmin dashcam and pulled the footage of the deer hit. There was no way I could have avoided the accident.

https://youtu.be/uPqxOM8TD9U

mcmack15 | 16. Juli 2019

Thanks.

Nexxus | 17. Juli 2019

@SnoWaterSkier,

Nope. No problems with interference of the sensors. The deer perk their heads up and turn and run the other way as I approach now.