Forums

Used Model X

Used Model X

Hello all,

I am interested in buying a used Model X. I've found some locally that are significantly cheaper than getting one from the Tesla dealer. Aside from mileage, options and whether the car has been in an accident, is there anything else to investigate or consider when buying a used Tesla? In the past, when I've bought used cars, I've taken them to a mechanic to get them inspected, but aside from what I mentioned earlier, are they all kind of the same?

Thanks
Andrea

bob | 21. Juli 2018

You might ask for the service records. Tesla is pretty weird about this... you'll need to get them from the former owner, Tesla will not release them to you even after you purchase a used vehicle. Some sort of privacy concern???

poloX | 21. Juli 2018

I don't know if there is anything for the machine to inspect to be honest. There is no engine. Just a couple of motor. Not sure what is there to check. The battery is the most important thing. My degrades a bit after than I expected.

poloX | 21. Juli 2018

I don't know if there is anything for the machine to inspect to be honest. There is no engine. Just a couple of motor. Not sure what is there to check. The battery is the most important thing. My degrades a bit after than I expected.

andrea_croot | 22. Juli 2018

Thank you! Is there any way to inspect the battery? I kind of figured there really isn't much for anyone to look at. That raises another question ... do you even have to take it for service ever? Are any updates just done via a software download?

poloX | 22. Juli 2018

The only thing that need services are the radiator.

bob | 22. Juli 2018

Breaks, suspension, battery cooling system, creature comforts like a/c, FWDs, power windows... there’s less moving parts than in an ICE, but don’t kid yourself into thinking nothing can go wrong.

Historically I’ve done most of my own vehicle maintenance. It was a hard pill to swallow but I purchased the prepaid service and extended warrantee on our MX. The damn thing has 27+ CPUs. Without diagnostic tools (which Tesla keeps close to their vest) it can be nearly impossible to solve simple issues. Hopefully that’ll Chang’s as thousands of M3s make it into the roads and 3rd party service providers figure these things out.

But for now maintenance and repair - we collectively are at the mercy of Tesla.

bob | 22. Juli 2018

Chang’s = change

jjgunn | 22. Juli 2018

Just gimme the root password & a place to plug-in. Maybe someday....

Hey....we get to put Window Washer fluid in ourselves.

bob | 22. Juli 2018

I’m afraid if I had root access I know just enough to brick the entire vehicle. That would be an expensive hack!

2015P90DI | 23. Juli 2018

If it's under warranty and still has a decent amount of time left on the warranty, don't worry about it. If the car is clean and too your liking and priced right, don't hesitate. Check to make sure it hasn't been in an accident. Would check the battery range and check the calculations on that to make sure it's not a battery that's degraded more than usual. Other than that, if it's under warranty, Tesla will take care of any problems it has.

Redmiata98 | 23. Juli 2018

A rough order of magnitude (ROM) on the current state of the battery can be had by having the owner charge it to the 90 or 100% level and look at the “miles” displayed in the dash. Match that against the Tesla specs. You can expect to use about 6% loss for a guide. Any more than 12% might indicate a prematurely declining battery. This figure is based on my early 2016 and similar vehicle reports I have accumulated. Others may have other ROM for you to use, ask.