Forums

Undercarriage Composite Tray Ripped

Undercarriage Composite Tray Ripped

Hey Fellow Tesla Peeps,

Has anyone had problems with the undercarriage composite trays? From what I know there are two of them. One located in the front between the wheels and one in the back between the wheels. My back composite tray started to rip last week as seen in the photos. I took it in to Tesla and they can replace it for roughly $250. Not covered by warranty b/c the service person claimed it was due to natural driving issues. Normal wear and tear if you will. Feels bad man. At the service center I didn't make a stink about it and I went ahead and made an appointment to replace it this coming Saturday. But as I thought about it over the weekend I started to feel that this is a bit ridiculous. My Model 3 isn't even 3 months old; I took delivery on June 6th. I've been driving the car for 2 months and 14 or so days with about 3,800 miles. I noticed this when the car was around 3,500 miles. (I did a decent amount of driving this weekend and past week) My driving isn't anything crazy that would warrant composite trays to rip. Majority of my daily commute is highway. I live in a very suburban area (NJ resident here) so the roads are all paved; its not like I'm driving on rocky rough roads. Grant it there are potholes but no way is my Model 3 undercarriage scrapping the road. There would be more evidence of that besides the composite tray. I didn't notice any other damage to the underneath of my car when I was inspecting it with the service person at Tesla. I honestly do feel like I got a weak or bad piece but I have no way of proving that. The 3 imgur links are pictures of the ripping composite tray, check it out yourself. It really does suck that my first problem with my car happened within 3 months of receiving the car and its on me. I honestly wouldn't care if it was covered. Oh and I suppose I should state the hanging piece does drag against the road from time to time. The noise it creates is how I noticed this ripped in the first place.

So what I want to hear from you guys is the follow.

-Has anyone else had a problem with the undercarriage composite trays?
-Should I call up Tesla and claim I shouldn't be responsible for this?
-What is the function of this piece? Is it for protection? Aerodynamics?

Thanks for your feedback peeps!
Ethan

https://imgur.com/KEgZIuD
https://imgur.com/jYp6RXd
https://imgur.com/cmPhIIy

PS - This really doesn't have to do with the issue but another aspect of this issue that put a sour taste in my mouth is that my local service center(Paramus, NJ) is booked until August 30th. I accepted an appointment with the Brooklyn NY service center b/c I didn't want this to get worse as I waited for August 30th to come around. Not being a car guy I fear the damage that could have been caused. For anyone one in the area you know how much of a pain going into NYC can be, especially with a car. $15 dollar toll plus all dead stop NYC traffic. Oof, it certainly is a big pain.

surfpearl | 05. Dezember 2018

@Pepperidge - Great minds think alike, x 2!

surfpearl | 05. Dezember 2018

Inspired by the wealth of information in this thread, I have just visually inspected the two undercarriage trays of my M3P+ since rain is on the way to SoCal. I found the trays in mint condition (after 1,700 miles, VIN 081xxx, only one rain event so far), but most of the dozen or so 10mm screws holding them in place were loose. The screw on the front right hand side corner was the worst offender, so loose that I was able to turn it by hand. While tapping on the front tray with my fingers in order to produce a drumming sound, the tray gave out a disconcerting metallic rattle across a large area. After tightening all of the screws and tapping again, the metallic rattle sound completely disappeared, giving way to a snug, comforting thud.
These 10mm screws have not been staked nor do they have a self-locking feature on their threads, so I will have to make it a regular check point until a permanent solution is offered. The tray material itself seems sturdy when fastened well, but I could see how it would become a liability when some of its screws back out and there is no support to keep it from tearing apart under the weight of rainwater from accumulation or puddles.

wiboater4 | 05. Dezember 2018

Wonder if that part is hand assembled or robot? Lock tight should hold the screws in or maybe some all weather caulk at front edge and over screw heads. If they are put on by hand could explain why it's a random problem maybe a tired out worker missed tightening them.

Magic 8 Ball | 05. Dezember 2018

@wiboater4 How dare you suggest that this could be an assembly issue? I suspect it could be a combination of improper assembly, possibly some bad lots of parts, and abuse of the car. Of course others will demand that it is a design issue but they also believe that flat tires are a tire design issue so there is that...................................

Coastal Cruiser. | 05. Dezember 2018

+1 Wiboater. Would have to bet a nickel it's an assy issue, and some blue locktite should hold them babies in there.

тесла3 | 05. Dezember 2018

As anticipated, I have another tear in the front undercarriage cover (which has already been replaced once, at my cost). This is from NORMAL driving conditions where I live. I did not run over anything or put my car through any abuse.

rkalbiarEV | 05. Dezember 2018

@тесла3 Tweet, Tweet, Tweetileedeet that shiz to Elon! Escalate through service, as high as possible. Call and email Tesla. Call and email Tesla corporate.

Either they don't know or don't care. Either way, affected folks need to make noise!

I am hoping 'they' do not know and will address the problem swiftly.

Cathanas68 | 10. Dezember 2018

happened to me as well. Hit a snow drift and tore the front under carriage right in half, less than 1000 miles on the car.
Dragged it around for about a day and then it just tore itself off.
Did Tesla think only people in California would drive these cars. Unfair to charge to replace it - obviously there's an issue with the material here.

Steam613 | 11. Dezember 2018

Same happened to me. Hit ponding water on the interstate at about 45mph. Tesla Ranger fixed gratis at my office. Took him no more than 30 min. 3 week wait for the part.

Ron.Olsberg | 11. Dezember 2018

Removed the rear cover (the felt type) weighed it before/after submerging it in the pool for 30 minutes. Weighed it with a luggage scale (not very accurate) 1.5 pounds dry/2.0 pounds soaked. Observations, the motor/inverter housing is only about a half inch above this cover so hopefully nothing ever goes under the car while driving. I also noticed an oil leak at the electric differential pump. I think/hope it is a bad o-ring seal. The Tesla Ranger is scheduled to fix this leak next Monday. Hopefully, an aftermarket company starts selling metal covers to replace the front/rear felt like covers. Assuming a reasonable price, I would purchase better covers. Metal covers should better protect the wiring and cooling hoses located at the front of the traction battery and the motor/inverter housing at the rear. The metal covers would weigh more but give at least some more protection.

Regards, Ron

rkalbiarEV | 11. Dezember 2018

@Ron Wow, thanks for this info. Tweet Elon.
Tesla really need to step up and provide an improved design. We should not have to pay for this!

cmh95628 | 11. Dezember 2018

Are you folks jacking up your cars to get a look at these covers and screws, or is that not needed? Thinking I may take a look at mine, but I don't have the hockey pucks for jacking.

rxlawdude | 11. Dezember 2018

Agree that this is a design defect and thus covered under implied warranty of merchantability. I'd be really peeved if Tesla tried to charge for replacing that clearly insufficient cover.

girishadak | 11. Dezember 2018

I have the same thing happened to my M3. Can someone please post what is the best path to fix this.

1) Is this going to be covered by warranty and do we call service center and book an appointment to fix this ?
2) How do we get more attention from Tesla on this issue ?

Thanks.

Magic 8 Ball | 11. Dezember 2018

This is similar to the rim rash "issue". Get too close to a curb rash your rim. Drive too fast in rain or through puddles or hit road debris and trash the bottom cover. Sure there may be a few defective units and some that were installed improperly but the other side of the coin is some people are 'accidentally' driving through deep puddles or driving over snow chunks or debris and trashing them. Ours has been through hard rain at 60 ish MPH and is fine.

surfpearl | 11. Dezember 2018

@cmh95628 - Jacking would be nice but is not absolutely necessary. I inspected and tightened mine w/o jacking up the car even though my P3D+ is lower than the regular Model 3. Used a yoga mat, flashlight, socket driver with 12" long ratchet handle and my long arms.

jaygrabbe | 11. Dezember 2018

Mine ripped 2 weeks after i picked it up. they fixed it for free. hopefully it doesn't re-occur, im avoiding puddles now haha...

jcd82 | 14. Dezember 2018

Hi everyone, Tesla mobile is fixing mine right now and when I explained that I had not hit any thing specific and I had seen a number of other ppl with the same problem on the forums he said he couldn’t say whether or not I would have to pay for it. He just updated that I had no damage indicating that I hit something specifically and when he googled it since I had mentioned it he found this thread with many others having the same problem and said it would be covered under warrantee this time. So don’t hesitate to report it here if it has happened to you! Despite what the conspiracy theorist m8 says, Tesla clearly regards this as an issue that at this point is not normal wear and tear.

wiboater4 | 14. Dezember 2018

It'll be interesting to see what snow drifts do to that shield once winter really gets going. I'm not real optimistic and you can't always avoid drifts .

BostonPilot | 17. Dezember 2018

@wiboater4 - Yeah, I'm worried about the same thing... Especially slush on the roads where they use freezing depressant chemicals... The slush can be really heavy, and thrown up by the wheels. We'll see... Like other's have mentioned, if someone comes out with an aftermarket aluminum tray I'd buy one...

Kal | 18. Dezember 2018

This sucks. I only have less than 500mi on my performance model 3 and this?! My tray was ripped too.

tchaimd | 18. Dezember 2018

Hey guys,

Count me in, too, as having the same issue as you all - fabric torn from the rear undercarriage cover (in Houston, 2.5 month old Model 3 AWD). Just scheduled a service appt to address this.

I am on my 5th Tesla, and although 4 out of 5 have had one problem or another, I still believe in the company!

-2013 Model S P85+, battery replaced
-2017 Model X, no problem
-2018 Model 3 LR RWD, phantom touch screen replaced
-2018 Model 3 AWD, defective headlight replaced on delivery; now undercarriage tear
-2018 Model 3 Performance, no problem - yet

tchaimd | 18. Dezember 2018

Oops, sorry, I meant 3 out of 5 in the post above!

Sean3 | 19. Dezember 2018

Happen to me as well, Rained Last night + sub zero temperature. I had no Idea what happened until I hear something dragging when I drive to work next morning.

3 month, ~4000 mile. What a shame.

I was prepared for the snow from the first winter, and didn't expect the rain to get first blood.

snyddogg | 19. Dezember 2018

Add me to the list. Raining hard and heard it dragging when I got to work. Looked underneath and the rear piece was torn an dragging.

AWDTesla | 19. Dezember 2018

Yeah, if they are expecting us to avoid snow banks, that will be hard to do where I live. I'm going to put the 3 on the hoist this weekend and see how hard it would be to make some better panels out of metal. Time to get my fab game going!

wiboater4 | 20. Dezember 2018

Someone used that foil duct tape to cover the front edge. That sounds like something that might help a lot to me. There are better grades of the stuff. Otherwise maybe just a piece of sheetmetal bent and caulked to cover the leading edge and screwed on to keep the water or snow from catching the edge. I'm not sure if there is a safe place to put screws in in front of it though. Maybe even just caulking with a good weatherproof caulk would work.

mote | 20. Dezember 2018

Does anyone else think it is ridiculous that people are resorting to DIY solutions to this problem?

Patrick | 21. Dezember 2018

@mote - I do. One does what one must do to address the immediate situation and prevent it from getting worse, but this is clearly a recall-type issue that IMHO Tesla should address immediately before others are impacted, including ourselves. Or at least an aggressive scheduled-fix scenario with service centers and/or rangers. One would assume this is already in-process if this many people have already been affected.

We're setting out on our first 1,500 mile road trip into colder weather and potential winter conditions starting tomorrow, and we had to drive the car through some unexpected high water on local roads this week. Never thought I would have to worry about what might be going on under a brand new car...

wiboater4 | 21. Dezember 2018

I'm not sure how many people have actually been affected by this. I haven't had the problem yet and others posting on this thread haven't also so no one really knows what percentage of cars out there have had this happen yet. That's not to say I'm not worried about it happening .

Magic 8 Ball | 21. Dezember 2018

I heard from someone that heard from someone else that someone got killed because of faulty bottoms.

Probably best to not take any chances and stop driving until there is fix.

emetg1 | 21. Dezember 2018

I got my Model 3 on December 8th. Today it was raining hard in the morning going to work. I did not hit any pot hole and was basically driving carefully because of the weather. This afternoon while backing out of the parking space there was a dragging noise caused by a ripped bottom tray, in the rear passenger side. There is no damage to the metal cover in front of the fiber bottom tray. Looks like a defect on the material.

ehwthree | 23. Dezember 2018

The same thing just happened to me yesterday — the first time I drove the car on the highway (just got it last week and only has a few hundred miles). I suspect that it was not fastened correctly, and that the higher wind at higher speeds tore the front down. I’m duck taping it until I can get it to the dealer to replace. But this is clearly a defect. I did not hit anything. It happened the first time I took it to >70mph.

Magic 8 Ball | 23. Dezember 2018

Sounds more like an assembly issue and possibly bad batch(s) of parts. If a true design defect we would be hearing many more stories, IMO.

tkwelec | 23. Dezember 2018

mote hate to think of someone voiding warranty with a diy fix

Magic 8 Ball | 23. Dezember 2018

A DIY tape fix on this will not void anything. Almost all accounts of this have been replaced by TESLA goodwill.

o2bmeek | 26. Dezember 2018

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I had the same thing occur last week after driving local roads with minimal standing water, nothing deep and never felt anything hit or scrape.

Tesla Support reached out to the local service center to get me in as they noted this as a potential safety issue. Part has been ordered and am awaiting an update.

This thread makes me think it's an assembly issue, the plastic covering is not adequate, or they have a better fix with the replacement.

beaver | 26. Dezember 2018

This problem freaks me out! I check my front skirt weekly now, and I am afraid to drive in the rain. I hit a piece of wood in the road and almost cried! Thankfully mine is intact so far after 13k and a few LA rainstorms...

ODWms | 27. Dezember 2018

Hopefully, if this is, indeed, a widespread issue, Tesla will perform a recall at some future date and replace with a hardier material. Maybe then I can get it and the spoiler and badge done all at once. Otherwise, I am loving this car. Best I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned some beauts.

SMTexas | 27. Dezember 2018

Sadly, this is my second time. I could post identical pictures; right rear in front of the tire folded down the exact same triangle way. This is clearly a design flaw, and I hope Tesla comes up with a permanent fix soon.

trent | 27. Dezember 2018

My Model 3 just did the exact same thing after driving in a rain storm last night at 3,700 miles. Seems like a design flaw. I have never bottomed out or driven over anything that would have caused this.

calvin940 | 27. Dezember 2018

The material used (at least in the production run of the cars affected) just seems inappropriate for outdoor wet weather. Since we generally can't really stop using our vehicles when it's raining or snowing, it just seems a poor choice. This is not something I have ever had to worry about with even the worst quality of cars I have owned.

Hopefully they will change the material and offer replacements when this happens to others.

746 | 27. Dezember 2018

I had the same issue with my undertray in the front: Have been driving in slushy snow on regular roads at adequate speed (reduced) for a total of one hour. At some point in the 2nd half of the 1 hour ride the undertray between the front wheels, which is a mixture of plastic and fiber, lost its integrity and eventually started hanging down to the ground half way. The front part was still ok and screwed well to the bottom of the car but the back part had come apart, which caused it to drag on the road. I'm not aware of having hit anything on the road.

Based on this thread it looks like this isn't a mass phenomenon for obvious reasons (how many people drive in slushy snow if they have a choice...) but I wanted to keep the information flowing to help whoever reads this from Tesla.

cyork | 27. Dezember 2018

Put me down with the same problem. 691 miles and less than 2 weeks ownership. It rained yesterday and the problem of undercarriage peel back was noticed today after the rain. 2 1/2 weeks till I can get in for repair.

746 | 28. Dezember 2018

When reading through the thread I see that several people had this issue fairly early after they purchased the M3. Based on that and a few other experiences, which were described, it could be an assembly issue combined with the fact that the felt like material soaks up water.

Let me explain: if a screw is missing or loose then the stress on the material increases because it collects more spray water/slush from the tires through the loose side. With more water/slush entering through the opening it also does take longer to dry, then starts sagging (holds more water/slush again), and eventually rips.

Just food for thought. I hope somebody at Tesla is reading this thread and draws their own conclusions.

Magic 8 Ball | 28. Dezember 2018

@746 No evidence of TESLA mining the forum for feedback. Service will log number of replacements and if that number becomes statistically significant they will adjust accordingly. All forum stories, for the most part, are unverified and not everything you read is true.

746 | 28. Dezember 2018

@M8B - how do you know?

Coastal Cruiser. | 28. Dezember 2018

746, respectfully suggest you ignore the behind the 8 ball troll. It is highly argumentative and will not participate in a reasoned discussion.

Mike UpNorth_ | 28. Dezember 2018

Eh, I disagree. While he may be blunt - M8B knows his sh*t

Magic 8 Ball | 28. Dezember 2018

@746 how do I know:

No evidence of TESLA mining forums for feedback?
Present the evidence I will redact

Service is logging time and materials and that is fed back to manufacturing?
Years in Silly Valley doing R&D and manufacturing. Getting lots of feedback from field reps (service). The bottom line is affected and TESLA has a history of improving and taking care of customers. (I.E. common sense).

Not everything you read is true?
Imagine that!

Pages